Question for Kings fans (Drew Doughty)

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
How good is Drew Doughty? I got a good chance of really seeing him play in 2010 for Team Canada. His stats don't show it but he was easily one of the most impressive players on the ice. He had a 59 point season that year. Since then his point totals have dipped, and I havent seen enough Kings games to evaluate his play. I just remembered being extremely impressed in 2010. Is his decrease in scoring due to more defensive responsibilities? Flat out was 2010 his biggest peak thus far? From a Jet's fan, im curious.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Top 10 Defenseman in the game. He had a slow start at the beginning of 2011-2012 because of the hold out, but he was money during the cup run (16 points in 20 games). Last year, Doughty had to play a much different role with the absence of Mitchell and Greene yet he was still almost top 20 in points by a defenseman.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Babcock said the kid is "touched by God".

Doughty's motives and drive have been questioned in the past but I think he's silenced many of his haters at this point.

In my modest opinion he is one of the most natural hockey players of all time.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Top 10 Defenseman in the game. He had a slow start at the beginning of 2011-2012 because of the hold out, but he was money during the cup run (16 points in 20 games). Last year, Doughty had to play a much different role with the absence of Mitchell and Greene yet he was still almost top 20 in points by a defenseman.

You say top ten.. in 09-10 he was a Norris finalist. Do you still think he could be a top 5 defenseman? Or has his play dipped off just slightly enough to be in the top ten discussion but not Norris worthy?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He had a couple dips in production with a concussion and then missing training camp the following year as an unsigned RFA. This season, he took on a more defensive role because Greene and Mitchell were out all season.

But he is a phenomenal player who is just going to only get better with maturity.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You say top ten.. in 09-10 he was a Norris finalist. Do you still think he could be a top 5 defenseman? Or has his play dipped off just slightly enough to be in the top ten discussion but not Norris worthy?

Top five. Kings fans, name five defensemen you would take over him. Only three come to mind, possibly.

When he's on his game, and the stage is elevated, he plays like the best defensemen in the world. And he's 23. He played like the second best defensemen in the world at the Olympics as a kid.

Drew Doughty is the personifies the word elite.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

He still is top 5. He's with Chara, Karlsson, Weber, and Suter. I think they are the top 5 in some order, then Subban, Pietrangelo(who gets overhyped)

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
He had to change roles from an offensive D Man to a defensive D Man and played that role equally well if not better. The man is a chameleon.

Our D was decimated last year and he took it by the horns and carried it by completely changing his game and excelling at it. His value is off the charts.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah. I don't even see a huge different between him and Shattenkirk

KPC-Subban isn't so much. I see ALOT more people saying Pietrangelo is top 5 than Subban

And the excuses always roll out for Pietrangelo...

- It's a team sport...
- The Blues don't have a finisher (heard that a hundred ****ing times)...
- His partner is up to snuff...
- He hasn't fully developed yet...
- Head to head, he would beat Doughty...
- He had a hang nail...

Doughty is better. Period.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Babcock said the kid is "touched by God".

Doughty's motives and drive have been questioned in the past but I think he's silenced many of his haters at this point.

In my modest opinion he is one of the most natural hockey players of all time.

Arguably the best coach in the game had this to say...

“He’s just better and smarter than everybody else,” Babcock said. “He’s just been touched by God and he’s been given a gift and he seems to like hockey.

“What I like about him is when he creates offense it’s not foolish. He’s not a risk-taker, he’s a game-breaker. And so he waits for the right times and he can play against the best people defensively. And he can play a ton of minutes. And he’s got a big heavy … butt. Sorry. So he can box people out and play the game.”

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

- It's a team sport...
- He had a hang nail...

I love this post so much. Excuses are always made for him, I don't get the love for him.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

- It's a team sport...
- He had a hang nail...

Except that his team has gotten his ass whipped head to head against Doughty every time... :)

KingKopitar11*

Doughty is the best defenseman in the Nhl. Pietrangelo gets such high remarks for accomplishing nothing.

Doughty is the MVP of the kings.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Except that his team has gotten his ass whipped head to head against Doughty every time... :)

Regular season and post season. The only way he'll win at the highest level is if Doughty plays with him (Gold). That last part was me being a wise ass.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Needs to improve his pp. Other than that, there is nothing more I would expect of him

HolyShot*

I would want Drew on the Kings more than any other d man. Even though he didn't score much last season, he did all the little things right and he was making up for the absence of Mitchell and Greene. Great players step up in all areas when they need to. Top 3 in the league, easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad