OT: Question for Diablos members

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
once a game is way too much. if we’re playing the rangers, that’s one thing. but its always. and the frequency of the chant has led to ‘flyers swallow’…and now, if im understanding this right, ‘crosby watches’? enough already. if the whistling folks are regulars and have season tickets, they should be warned and then have them revoked if it continues. it kills me that new fans (especially younger ones) who began following during our cup run will think that sucks/swallows is now ‘part’ of a devils game.

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
Once a game? Sure.... but it happens much of often than that. Unfortunately it seems like most people show up to the game to talk or chant about the Rangers. It's obnoxious and embarrassing especially when we are losing. I don't care what you think of my opinion.

well thats good because its not as your opinion carrys any weight to the thousands of other fans out there that will keep the whistle chant tradition living on... you wana know whats annoying as hell.. your fellow diablo member thats up there banging the cow bell.. thats whats annoying.. and your complaining about a 2 second chant that happens... once maybe twice a game thats a tradition. Your entire section well the top rows of it are annoying as hell they dont shut up... most of which are only there because the seats are $100 for the season anyway, thats no surprise.. but they run a lot of people out of the neighboring sections because no one wants to hear that **** all game long.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
What people say at the arena doesn't bother me. If I don't like a chant, I just don't partake. I don't judge, don't belittle, and don't criticize because quite frankly I'm sure some of my actions are not exactly 100% super-duper nick jr copacetic. I just think it's very easy to throw stones.

If you simply don't chant what you don't like then the chants will fade. The chant in questions was in the process of fading until the team went all PC police on everyone. You hardly heard it and some fans would actually boo over it. It will take some time for cooler heads to prevail again but such is life. The team did it to itself.

Let people chant whatever the want. As long as they're not targeting specific people why should anyone really care? They paid for their ticket just like you did. I don't agree with all the chants at The Rock but I'll certainly defend everyone's right to say whatever they damn well please. And if the majority feels it's ok well, then damn, I guess it's ok until the majority changes its mind. It's the nature of the beast. If you want to kick people out that whistle it's no better than removing the goal song. If the majority sides with the whistler you will get backlash (not saying that the support for that chant is anywhere near the goal song).

Stop policing everyone (slightly hypocritical because this post is policing people by telling them they should not be policing people :laugh:). Let people do as they please and gradually the fans will police themselves. There may be a day when it's only a dozen or so people who say it. And wouldn't that be awkward?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
well thats good because its not as your opinion carrys any weight to the thousands of other fans out there that will keep the whistle chant tradition living on... you wana know whats annoying as hell.. your fellow diablo member thats up there banging the cow bell.. thats whats annoying.. and your complaining about a 2 second chant that happens... once maybe twice a game thats a tradition. Your entire section well the top rows of it are annoying as hell they dont shut up... most of which are only there because the seats are $100 for the season anyway, thats no surprise.. but they run a lot of people out of the neighboring sections because no one wants to hear that **** all game long.

Sure. Let's sit on our hands then. After all the game is played in a library isn't it? Give me a break. You're going to talk about tradition? Well maybe let's get one that isn't an embarrassment that sounds like high schoolers came up with it. Our fans have a disgusting Rangers inferiority complex. The Devils were 1-5-3 and all I'm reading on Facebook Devils fan groups are people mocking the Rangers and talking about the suck... .when we actually suck just as badly... and the only two things our fans are doing right are complaining like spoiled children about a GOAL SONG so they can yell the word "sucks" which causes them to actually BOO loudly after a goal is scored.... that AND chant Rangers suck. Meanwhile we're looking at 4,000 empty seats a game, a home opener that didn't sell out, and club seats that are going for less than $20 a seat on the secondary market while our fan base is in an internal struggle with the new management group who were nice enough to infuse over 300 million to ensure we don't LOSE OUR TEAM COMPLETELY.

If the Rangers suck chant is so important to you, go to college football games and act like a jackass there.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
i usually agree with you pseg. but to chant that a hockey team (MOD). i cant imagine explaining that to a son or daughter

My nephew is now 6. I took him to a game and all he asked me was "what are they saying?" I said they're saying "Rangers Suck!" He knows what "suck" means because he watches the WWE and they say suck every 5 seconds. He said "that's it?" And I said yes. That's it.

And when they said it again and he asked again I said, "The second part isn't for you to know." And do you know what he said? "Can I have a puck hat?"

Kids are easy with these things. I take him to WWE events, Devils games, Basketball games and each event presents me with new challenges. I don't want the Devils or any other fan to help me parent. I prefer to do things my way. He knows I don't chant it so he doesn't either. Kids look after who they're with usually.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Sure. Let's sit on our hands then. After all the game is played in a library isn't it? Give me a break. You're going to talk about tradition? Well maybe let's get one that isn't an embarrassment that sounds like high schoolers came up with it. Our fans have a disgusting Rangers inferiority complex. The Devils were 1-5-3 and all I'm reading on Facebook Devils fan groups are people mocking the Rangers and talking about the suck... .when we actually suck just as badly... and the only two things our fans are doing right are complaining like spoiled children about a GOAL SONG so they can yell the word "sucks" which causes them to actually BOO loudly after a goal is scored.... that AND chant Rangers suck. Meanwhile we're looking at 4,000 empty seats a game, a home opener that didn't sell out, and club seats that are going for less than $20 a seat on the secondary market while our fan base is in an internal struggle with the new management group who were nice enough to infuse over 300 million to ensure we don't LOSE OUR TEAM COMPLETELY.

If the Rangers suck chant is so important to you, go to college football games and act like a jackass there.

Here's the problem: Every fan base has fans that focus a ton on rivals and know very little about the team. Those fans are far more important than us hardcore fans. There are always a > number of casual fans than hardcore fans. It is why the Flyers, Rangers, and Penguins games sell out usually. Those "casual fans" go just to chant Rangers Suck and soak in the atmosphere of a rivalry game. Those fans pay the bills far more than you and I ever will. All fan bases have those types of fans. The fans that you meet at the office and can't name you more than 3 players on the Devils. Those are the fans that pay the bills - like it or not.

So those fans that you look down upon on Facebook are the fans the team is trying to get into the arena. Those fans that have no idea what the neutral zone is or how many Cups we've won - who only know "Rangers Suck" those are our most important fans. Not the diehards who get annoyed by it. You just have to deal with it and realize that it's a mighty long fall from the pedestal (I don't mean it as an insult really because I'm right there with you). And that fall will happen if you take the approach "well kick them all out! we don't need them!"

We do. Because without them this team wouldn't survive here. we need every juvenile fan we can get into the arena (and I'm not saying everyone who chants it is juvenile).

I don't care what they chant. Show up and add to the atmosphere. The rest will figure itself out.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
...I'd like to see the RS chant die. I think it's about the dumbest thing going and just speaks to the continuing inferiority complex Devils fans still operate under. I mean, after 3 championships, don't we finally have our own identity at this point without having to relate everything back to the Rangers?
...the most embarrassing thing in the world is when youre sitting next to visiting teams' fans and they hear the chant and ask you about it.im ashamed to explain it

I respect this point of view but do not subscribe to it. To me, the inferiority complex is the obsession some have about what others think about us. Who cares? I joke with my friends that "Rangers Suck" (I am with the opposition on the garbage that follows it for other reasons) is a public service announcement for the uninformed. It's good to have once a period IF we are winning the game.

...Some guy on Tuesday who was sitting a few rows in front of us randomly turns around, stands up, and goes "Hey everybody... the Rangers are losing!" I wanted to smack him. Who the hell cares what the Rangers are doing?! It's 12 games into the season and our team is trying to work their way out of a huge mess. The Rangers have two more wins than we do. Yet people come to a New Jersey-Tampa game thinking about the Rangers. SHUT UP ALREADY.

Again, part and parcel of the rivalry. People can multitask - celebrating the Rangers losing does not mean we do not care about the Devils winning. Yankee Stadium goes nuts when the out of town scoreboard shows Boston losing on a random Saturday in July. This should happen in a good rivalry. Despite Rangers' fans denials, there is plenty of attention paid to us on their boards.

Our leader is meeting with Hugh tomorrow to hopefully sort some things out... and I hope they do because going to games is not enjoyable right now. Between the goal song issue, the Diablos issue, and my constant frustration with people's fascination with the Rangers I am just not having any fun. We've won three cups since the Rangers last one, 9 division titles, 5 conference titles, got a brand new building, and more and more fans... and people act like the Rangers haunt their dreams.

We will have to agree to disagree but part of my fandom is hatred of the Rangers and complete glee in any of their failures. I am confidently proud to be a Devils fan and any attention I pay to our foes across the river does not take away from positive energy towards my team. I think some people view this as a zero sum game and for many that is not the case.

I would say that's second most embarrassing behind a scenario where the Devils are losing by 2 or 3 goals and the Rangers are winning wherever they are playing but apparently we need to all chant that the Rangers suck.

Absolutely agree here, I wish the crowd collective had enough intelligence to know when to apply derisive chants (I also support "you suck!" after goals but not when we're losing).

Once a game? Sure.... but it happens much of often than that. Unfortunately it seems like most people show up to the game to talk or chant about the Rangers. It's obnoxious and embarrassing especially when we are losing. I don't care what you think of my opinion.

Eh I'm alright with once a period, but I agree that it can be too much if certain fans get overzealous. Not sure about your section but I've never heard anyone around me actually talk about the Rangers if we're not playing them (besides an out of town scoreboard update with them getting blown out perhaps, but again, they would be saying the same if the situation was reversed).

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013

i dont like college football sorry..

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
We'd be absolutely killing Ranger/Flyers/Isles fans if, during some random game against Columbus, they all suddenly shout "Devils Suck!". Making fun of them for being obsessed with us.

When we're playing any team other than the Rangers, other than occassionally glancing at the OoT scoreboard, I'm really not concerned about the Rangers. This in no way diminishes my hatred for them.

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
They did it the first 3 games but not the last one
noticed that also was wondering where old earl and his dance party were... i think i asked him a question last game didnt know where the acela club was wanted to check it out.. and he was not too friendly thought he wouldve been a lot more of a friendly guy..

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Your entire section well the top rows of it are annoying as hell they dont shut up... most of which are only there because the seats are $100 for the season anyway, thats no surprise.. but they run a lot of people out of the neighboring sections because no one wants to hear that **** all game long.

I dont have nearly the problem with them that you do, as I actually think some of what they do adds to the game atmosphere. And if they're having fun and being respectful, and cheering on the team, there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

But I do agree with your bolded with respect to that stupid vuvuzela. There are people in neighboring sections that move EVERY non-sellout game because of it. The worst part? The vuvuzela jerk is well-aware that it annoys a lot of people, and he doesnt give a ratz azz. He's more concerned with being some sort of "Super Fan" (in his own mind of course). "I'm the guy that blows the horn" - sort of a thing. Sad and pathetic if you ponder that. There was a thread a few years back where plenty of people admitted the horn is completely annoying, and his paraphrased response here (he started an account to post about this issue) was that he didnt care.

Last edited by a moderator:

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007

:laugh:

You do realize they bought an arena, right? This wasn't some charitable move.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
are you guys the ones with the horns? i think it does help make it louder but the one thing i dont get is this. Someone else will start a respectable let's go devils chant and than out of cue you guys will start your own with the horns going out of sync, like you are jealous someone else has a chant going.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
lol my hot dogs were cold and my rolls were stale bro! cant be a good sign haha

Tough luck my man! I dropped the big bucks that night. Had 6 hot dogs and they were all perfect. I went to the cart and watched them make it right in front of me.

I like being rich guys. Let's not scare away the new owners who give us dollar hot dogs.

Seriously though. We have like 3 more dollar hot dog nights on the schedule. When was the last time we even had one?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Someone else will start a respectable let's go devils chant and than out of cue you guys will start your own with the horns going out of sync, like you are jealous someone else has a chant going.

Like I said, certain behaviour is sad and pathetic.

Seriously though. We have like 3 more dollar hot dog nights on the schedule. When was the last time we even had one?

When I was a STH, I'd find those games on the schedule, and instantly know that those would be games I'd be selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad