OT: Question for Diablos members

Status
Not open for further replies.

funetiklee

Mar 11, 2009
stolen from an ILWT blog post from a couple years ago:

This isn't the be all end all list. There are specific times that we would like to do things as well. Here they are -

Start of game: "Let's Go Devils" (clap-clap-clap,clap,clap)

When play resumes after 10:00 minute mark of every period: Baumann's Chant (you know Baumann). He's been doing the spell out of Devils ever since I was a fan. It's simple: "Give me a D; Give me a E, Give me a V...etc" Then to a "Let's Go Devils" This is tradition here, it must stay alive.

3:40 mark of every period: A 10 second countdown...

3:30 mark of every period: Constant noise and cheering for 30 seconds. This is new and it's awesome. It represents three Stanley Cups and 30 years of Devils hockey (1981-82 to 2011-12). The 30 can stand for Marty as well.

Note: The captains mentioned getting something on the jumbotron during this time to give the rest of the fans at the arena of what we are doing it for. The last couple games have seen a graphic "Diablos 122...Thirty Seconds...Raise Hell" That's awesome.

Start of the 2nd and 3rd period: "I Believe In Jersey's Team!" It starts with the first word and progressively gets longer. We will do that if the team is down to start those periods. If the Devils are up or tied - "Let's Go Devils"

Last minute of game: Constant noise of cheering whether winning or losing (if the Devils are down one goal I assume).

During penalty kill: "Defense!" (clap-clap), "Clear That Puck" "Kill" (horn/clap) "Kill" (horn/clap)..etc..

Opposing team penalty call: "You Can't Do That" (clap-clap-clap,clap,clap)

Powerplay: "Pass, Shoot, Score" (clap)

After Devils Goal and Song: [Chant Player Name]

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

"Here We Go Devils, Here We Go!" (clap-clap)

"De-vils Score-A-Goal....Odie-odie-odie-odie-ooooooooooooo" (repeat)

"Get One Back...Attack Attack Attack" (after a goal against)

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for the response. I could have sworn I heard a "We are Jersey" but it might have been the "I believe in Jersey's team."

I think I also heard the tail end of "Devils-Score-A-Goal etc..." do you wait for the music and the boos to stop?

Some of these have some potential. Someone should think of a song to chant during a PP and PK instead of "Kill" or "Shoot, Pass, Score." Similar to the Habs and "Ole!"

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Thanks for the response. I could have sworn I heard a "We are Jersey" but it might have been the "I believe in Jersey's team."

I think I also heard the tail end of "Devils-Score-A-Goal etc..." do you wait for the music and the boos to stop?

Some of these have some potential. Someone should think of a song to chant during a PP and PK instead of "Kill" or "Shoot, Pass, Score." Similar to the Habs and "Ole!"

Yeah, they definitely are chanting "We are Jersey". Again, I cringe at it.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown

This isn't the be all end all list. There are specific times that we would like to do things as well. Here they are -

When play resumes after 10:00 minute mark of every period: Baumann's Chant (you know Baumann). He's been doing the spell out of Devils ever since I was a fan. It's simple: "Give me a D; Give me a E, Give me a V...etc" Then to a "Let's Go Devils" This is tradition here, it must stay alive.

3:30 mark of every period: Constant noise and cheering for 30 seconds. This is new and it's awesome. It represents three Stanley Cups and 30 years of Devils hockey (1981-82 to 2011-12). The 30 can stand for Marty as well.

Note: The captains mentioned getting something on the jumbotron during this time to give the rest of the fans at the arena of what we are doing it for. The last couple games have seen a graphic "Diablos 122...Thirty Seconds...Raise Hell" That's awesome.

Start of the 2nd and 3rd period: "I Believe In Jersey's Team!" It starts with the first word and progressively gets longer. We will do that if the team is down to start those periods. If the Devils are up or tied - "Let's Go Devils"

Last minute of game: Constant noise of cheering whether winning or losing (if the Devils are down one goal I assume).

During penalty kill: "Defense!" (clap-clap), "Clear That Puck" "Kill" (horn/clap) "Kill" (horn/clap)..etc..

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

lol, it's like they don't even try

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

this is not a shot at you, but this is SO douchey overall to me.

Maybe I am in the minority.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
this is not a shot at you, but this is SO douchey overall to me.

Maybe I am in the minority.

Douchey might be the wrong word. Some of them are lame and forced. Maybe coming from the team? But most chants are lame and forced at first and I think the fans do a good job of keeping the ones that stick and ditching the ones that are really bad. Which is why I was curious re: what was being chanted last night.

I think some of them such as the countdown and cheer have good potential. I like moving away from the Kill chant on the PK. Always thought it sounded off. Like if the entire crowd were part of the Adam's Family.

But yea the "Jersey" stuff is the only thing that I think is really bad.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I'm "whatever" on all of the chants, but I absolutely HATE the "kill, kill, kill" chants...or really anything that extends a long amount of time on the PK.

Some fan bases in college hockey would just make random yelling noise whenever the opposing team would have the puck set up in the offensive zone on a PP to try to "interfere" with their...communication/concentration or something. I've always found those types of chants insanely annoying.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I'm "whatever" on all of the chants, but I absolutely HATE the "kill, kill, kill" chants...or really anything that extends a long amount of time on the PK.

Some fan bases in college hockey would just make random yelling noise whenever the opposing team would have the puck set up in the offensive zone on a PP to try to "interfere" with their...communication/concentration or something. I've always found those types of chants insanely annoying.

I wonder if the powers that be will find this offensive, too?;)

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

Those last 2 are so incredibly corny. They sound like something a 4th grader came up with to try to win a contest to have there respective chants that they created, be used at a live Devils game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

not going to lie, this was pretty rough to look at. yikes

funetiklee

Mar 11, 2009
Ok I should have clarified that I am NOT a part of that section. In fact the one time I had tickets there was a few years ago - my wife and I didn't even make it to puck drop before we moved.

Also I hate the KILL PK chant. I was sitting up in the upper corners in the same row as the guy trying to orchestrate it one game during our playoff run 2 years ago. He was getting super frustrated with everyone in the section when they weren't doing the chant right. We only made it through the first period of that game before switching sections.

Kevo18

Jan 11, 2011
So much thought policing. If you don't like the chant, don't do it. Otherwise mind your own damn business.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
So much thought policing. If you don't like the chant, don't do it. Otherwise mind your own damn business.

(Not sure if you're a Diablos member or not)

But isn't the point of the section to eventually start new traditions and new chants that spread around the entire arena? At least that's what Hugh's Bee Zanies section for the Hornets were charged with doing.

If that's the case then I think feedback from fans would be important. And maybe you can go back to the team/captains and relay the feedback. For example I don't think any fan is going to get behind the whole jersey thing. I asked initially because I wanted to get involved with some of the ones that I thought sounded solid from my section.

If you are part of the section more power to you and everyone that's sitting there. Hope you guys come up with a lot of unique traditions that stick around for a while. Take it as feedback.

2cents

apice3*

Other:

"Go Devs Go"

Haha I just I just realized how overpriced 100 dollar season tickets are. You couldn't pay me to sit in that section if those chants are mandatory.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
"Let's Go Devils" and Baumann's Chant are classics and I will gladly chant those all night long.

"Kill. Kill. Kill." is awesome and I love that to be loud and last the entire PK. Badass.

"Dee-fense" is OK if they are trying to hold a lead or during an important kill. It shouldn't just be random, IMO.

I also like "Marty's Better" (or "Cory's Better", although maybe there should be something different for him) and getting on the other team's goalie ("Heeeeen-rik. Heeeeeeeen-rik")

I like chants deriding the other team or the other team's cheap-ass players as long as the Devils ARE PLAYING THAT TEAM. The worst chant of all is when I hear "Rangers Suck!" in any game not against the Rangers. I want to crawl under my seat it's so embarrassing.

If I hear anyone chanting "I believe in Jersey's team!" or "Get one back! Attack, Attack, Attack!" I will call security.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Ok I should have clarified that I am NOT a part of that section. In fact the one time I had tickets there was a few years ago - my wife and I didn't even make it to puck drop before we moved.

Also I hate the KILL PK chant. I was sitting up in the upper corners in the same row as the guy trying to orchestrate it one game during our playoff run 2 years ago. He was getting super frustrated with everyone in the section when they weren't doing the chant right. We only made it through the first period of that game before switching sections.

:laugh:

Off topic but

How exactly does that work? My friend and I always joke around about complaining to the Devils and requesting a move (ie. "I'm afraid of a puck hitting me all the way up in the mezzanine!") Do you pay the difference? Do the put you in some cushy club seats?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Guess you fail to realize the hypocrisy in telling people, on an internet message board (which is for voicing opinions), to mind their own damn business.

If you want to mind your own damn business, don't read an internet forum.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
"Let's Go Devils" and Baumann's Chant are classics and I will gladly chant those all night long.

"Kill. Kill. Kill." is awesome and I love that to be loud and last the entire PK. Badass.

"Dee-fense" is OK if they are trying to hold a lead or during an important kill. It shouldn't just be random, IMO.

I also like "Marty's Better" (or "Cory's Better", although maybe there should be something different for him) and getting on the other team's goalie ("Heeeeen-rik. Heeeeeeeen-rik")

I like chants deriding the other team or the other team's cheap-ass players as long as the Devils ARE PLAYING THAT TEAM. The worst chant of all is when I hear "Rangers Suck!" in any game not against the Rangers. I want to crawl under my seat it's so embarrassing.

If I hear anyone chanting "I believe in Jersey's team!" or "Get one back! Attack, Attack, Attack!" I will call security.[/QUOTE]

:laugh:

I guess if you spring for the 100 dollar seasons you are mandated to stand up and do all that **** each game or the ticket privileges are revoked? That's how I'm taking all of that works?

Mory Schneideur*

If I hear anyone chanting "I believe in Jersey's team!" or "Get one back! Attack, Attack, Attack!" I will call security.

I believe in Jersey's team is actually brilliant. It copies the college chant "I believe that we will win" which is pretty awesome. Check it out:

On that note, I love the Diablos, however I wish they could be louder and crazier. Also wish we had another section of super fans somewhere... Maybe behind one of the nets like in soccer?

Edit: to be honest I wanna see hockey adopt a few things from soccer like ultras, entire arena chants @ scarves (why not hockey is a winter sport!).

Would be cool if the new owners made an attempt to recreate this somehow instead of a Disney on ice atmosphere:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Seven Nations Army chant done soccer style with jumping in unison at random points in the game, not just when we score a goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I was in the section for 2011-2012 and the Final run; guys hating on the chant have no idea how much fun they were to do most of the time.

"Kill!" was combined with a horn blow in between each chant, and it'd lead in wit "ooooOOOOOOOH!" as the offense skated into our zone, so the whole goal was to be extra raucous.

2012 really was a lot of fun in that section, but I started grad school and a new job and couldn't make time for it anymore. I haven't gotten a real feel for how it's been since then, but it was definitely a good time.

I had a bunch of ideas for some song chants we could try, but I'm not sure how well I could've gotten people to go along with them. Maybe some day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad