Question For A Write-Up. Need EDM Fans Thoughts.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Basically the Oilers need 2 defenceman heading into next off season.

But due to the expansion draft, they'd be far better off to target getting one 1st tier and one 3rd tier guy vs. two 2nd tier defenceman. Thus none of Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, or Dumba really appeal to me.

unless you get them in as that tier 3 Dman that you can potentially expose at expansion draft without shedding many tears.

Brodin for Yakupov+ as an example.

PS> The video by perfect drug proves nothing.. if anything it shows that Eberle should be playing the LW and Hall RW :laugh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
1 is an absolute must.
2 would be ideal
3 would be a luxury but not necessary.

I guess it depends on what you define Klefbom as, is he counted as a new defenceman :laugh: ... :cry: I think 3's a bit of an overkill.

They just need 1 guy whom can survive on the top pairing to knock everyone down a peg, and into roles they're more suited for; and one other who can provide offence because this team doesn't have anyone that can safely break 35 points.

They don't even need to be that good. Even if you're just getting (names out of a hat) Petry and Wideman, I'd bet this is a playoff team.

Klefbom-Petry
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Wideman

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
My issue with this thread is calling Olofsson a "Klefbom clone" and "Brodin lite".

It would have to be one or the other.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
unless you get them in as that tier 3 Dman that you can potentially expose at expansion draft without shedding many tears.

Brodin for Yakupov+ as an example.

PS> The video by perfect drug proves nothing.. if anything it shows that Eberle should be playing the LW and Hall RW :laugh:

No by 3rd tier I mean a guy who's likely just getting passed over in the expansion draft

Easiest way I describe my rankings is just remove the even numbers (so you don't have #1,2,3,4,5,6, but rather 1/3/5, and round guys off closest to what they should be.

Example: Let's take Seabrook vs. Sekera. Both could called #2 defenceman, but Seabrook's closer to being a #1 than #3, so he's a tier 1 in my book vs. Sekera, whom I'd peg as closer to being a #3 than #1, is a tier 2 for me.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
One issue with the Spurgeon talk is Chiarelli has made it clear he values size. I know the kid is good, but I'm not sure he's a Chia-type player. That could be a stumbling block IMO.

And I like Brodin, but Hamonic seems to be a better fit for what would basically be the same role on our team. Maybe if higher priority targets like Hamonic don't work out, that's something Chia circles back on. I dunno.

Dumba is a compelling player, but super risky for the return we would have to give up to acquire him. If he figures things out, he'll be a hell of a player. Loved watching him in Jr.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
-EDM's biggest obstacle going forward will be drafting/acquiring/developing a D core.

Let's be very clear on this. Edmonton's problem is drafting/acquiring/developing top-pairing D. Oilers have developed second pairs and lots of bottom pairs.

I don't think Wild and Oilers are great trading partners. Secondary offense for secondary D-men don't do much for either team.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
One issue with the Spurgeon talk is Chiarelli has made it clear he values size. I know the kid is good, but I'm not sure he's a Chia-type player. That could be a stumbling block IMO.

And I like Brodin, but Hamonic seems to be a better fit for what would basically be the same role on our team. Maybe if higher priority targets like Hamonic don't work out, that's something Chia circles back on. I dunno.

Dumba is a compelling player, but super risky for the return we would have to give up to acquire him. If he figures things out, he'll be a hell of a player. Loved watching him in Jr.

IMO Tyson Barrie should be our target. Contract issues and elite offensive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Has Chiarelli emphasized size? I'm not sure, but I know that he's emphasized playing hard. Playing hard can come from a player of any size, and it doesn't have to be a physical player either. That's what the Bruins were like. You can have someone who lacks size and grit like Bergeron, and you value him because of his intense tenacity and skill with the puck. Spurgeon could fit that.

Also, I think the league is moving towards diverse balance of physical types. Smaller defensemen are doing very well nowadays, and we have a lot of big guys already.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Has Chiarelli emphasized size? I'm not sure, but I know that he's emphasized playing hard. Playing hard can come from a player of any size, and it doesn't have to be a physical player either. That's what the Bruins were like. You can have someone who lacks size and grit like Bergeron, and you value him because of his intense tenacity and skill with the puck. Spurgeon could fit that.

Also, I think the league is moving towards diverse balance of physical types. Smaller defensemen are doing very well nowadays, and we have a lot of big guys already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfq-XkZpAPY

Skip to the 10:42 mark.

Also, I wouldn't say Bergeron lacks grit. Especially before his injury, that was one of his best attributes. The guy was a physical beast.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Since when is Brodin worth more then a 30 goal scorer? The OP really blind seeing Brodin has looked mighty average since his "rookie year" when he played next to Ryan Suter?

Brodin is yet to put up 20 points in this league.

Only reason I see us going after him is because he is buddies with Klefbom.

It's absurd how underrated Eberle isle argue wide.

But Kelly Hrudey told me Eberle sucks :sarcasm: :dunno:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfq-XkZpAPY

Skip to the 10:42 mark.

Also, I wouldn't say Bergeron lacks grit. Especially before his injury, that was one of his best attributes. The guy was a physical beast.

thanks, so I would agree it's unlikely we would be after a guy like Spurgeon then. Maybe Chiarelli thinks that having Sekera is already a good enough presence for a smaller, quicker D-man.

Doesn't that rule out Vatanen and Barrie too then? Both small D-men. I'm not sure who we would be targeting. Trouba? I'd love that if we could do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad