Speculation: Question about Trouba

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I see him Playing 4 years in the NCAA. Becoming a free agent following his graduation and signng with the Red Wings.

ComwAKP.gif

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That entry level contract can be mighty persuasive for a lot of young players. I can see him playing 1 more year in Michigan then the Jets signing him.

jetkarma*

I am not ruling Trouba out for some time next year , whether it be at the start or perhaps after the WJC.

Kevin Cheveldayoff was emphatic yesterday that he had no preclusions for bringing up or keeping a player right from the draft , if he is ready. Of course that is the key , but people that automatically say Trouba won't be here anytime next year are just presuming that , that isn't written in stone .

IMO I am virtually certain Trouba never ever spends four years at Michigan , and at the most imo , he spends 2 full years there. However I think it is a distinct possibility that he is here before that. FWIW so does Bobby Mac.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I am not ruling Trouba out for some time next year , whether it be at the start or perhaps after the WJC.

Kevin Cheveldayoff was emphatic yesterday that he had no preclusions for bringing up or keeping a player right from the draft , if he is ready. Of course that is the key , but people that automatically say Trouba won't be here anytime next year are just presuming that , that isn't written in stone .

IMO I am virtually certain Trouba never ever spends four years at Michigan , and at the most imo , he spends 2 full years there. However I think it is a distinct possibility that he is here before that. FWIW so does Bobby Mac.

Agreed. There is no magic formula. If he's ready, looks like the org will bring him in.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought that too but someone mentioned he cannot do that

Why couldn't he do that? Wheeler did just that with the Coyotes. Shultz did it this past off-season. Four years after his draft a player can declare himself a free agent and sign with whomever he wants.

Yes, for NCAA players it is 4 years. However had Schultz not "declared" himself a pro and returned for his senior year he would have been Ducks property until August 15th, 2013. For a Trouba though his rights will not expire until August 15th following his senior year, not June 1 after his junior year like Wheeler and Schultz when they declared to be pros following junior year, a loophole only available for players who play elsewhere pre-NCAA but after being drafted.

But why in the hell is it more likely that Trouba does this than ANY OTHER DRAFT PICK? Any pick can do this, including picks out of Europe or CHL. A player drafted out of WHL can simply wait two years refusing to sign and then they head back into draft. Wait two more and they are free agents. Why does Trouba do this, yet it's inconceivable a WHL/OHL/QMJHL players refuses to sign?

It just makes no sense why people talk about this for Trouba, but not say Scheifele (although he is now signed, pre-signing it was never an issue). Any player has this right, due to a couple high profile cases now everyone assumes it's only for NCAA players to do this, and that they do this commonly. Both are completely false.

jetkarma*

Yes, for NCAA players it is 4 years. However had Schultz not "declared" himself a pro and returned for his senior year he would have been Ducks property until August 15th, 2013. For a Trouba though his rights will not expire until August 15th following his senior year, not June 1 after his junior year like Wheeler and Schultz when they declared to be pros following junior year, a loophole only available for players who play elsewhere pre-NCAA but after being drafted.

But why in the hell is it more likely that Trouba does this than ANY OTHER DRAFT PICK? Any pick can do this, including picks out of Europe or CHL. A player drafted out of WHL can simply wait two years refusing to sign and then they head back into draft. Wait two more and they are free agents. Why does Trouba do this, yet it's inconceivable a WHL/OHL/QMJHL players refuses to sign?

It just makes no sense why people talk about this for Trouba, but not say Scheifele (although he is now signed, pre-signing it was never an issue). Any player has this right, due to a couple high profile cases now everyone assumes it's only for NCAA players to do this, and that they do this commonly. Both are completely false.

Great post. No need to consider that scenario.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I think it's because there are a couple of recent examples of NCAA players exercising their option to become free agents (Wheeler, Schultz). I can't recall any CHL draftees doing this since Lindros...and he was vilified in the press and many fans.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think it's because there are a couple of recent examples of NCAA players exercising their option to become free agents (Wheeler, Schultz). I can't recall any CHL draftees doing this since Lindros...and he was vilified in the press and many fans.

Tim Erixon.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I really believe we will see him here sooner rather than later. and il take a different approach.

IF the jets invite him to camp and he faces the decision of school vs nhl

playing in the nhl and making pro money is a once in a lifetime thing. school is great, and can set you up beyond hockey, but school will ALWAYS be an option... one you can return to later in life if need be

pro hockey on the other hand, can be much trickier

What if he suffers some crazy injury next season and is never the same player again? maybe never ends up cracking a pro roster, maybe a bad concussion makes him stop playing hockey

what im getting at is... if you have an opportunity to make the type of money that can set you and your family up for life, it will be tough to pass up. take it while you can sort of thing

***** this is of course IF and only IF the jets leave the decision up to him... if they offer him a spot i think he should take it and run with it.. if its truly what he wants to do

however if the jets decided its best for his development to stay another year in college. then so be it, he can continue to play college and do well and hopefully be ready to make an impact when he does come to the nhl

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Just watched the Michigan game last night and from what I saw he would benefit staying one more year to develop his offence and decision making he still seems to make a lot of little mistakes.i think he could step into the nhl next year but he would play a pure defensive role,plus the style he plays is hard on the body so when he reaches the nhl the more developed he is physically the easier it will be on his body.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just watched the Michigan game last night and from what I saw he would benefit staying one more year to develop his offence and decision making he still seems to make a lot of little mistakes.i think he could step into the nhl next year but he would play a pure defensive role,plus the style he plays is hard on the body so when he reaches the nhl the more developed he is physically the easier it will be on his body.

Hard to judge from a box score but that looked like it might have been one of his worse games this season. -3 and 4 penalties, and 1 shot on net in a 7-4 loss sounds a bit stinky

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agreed. He also needs to stay so he can captain the US team at the WJC to victory. Imagine adding that kind of leadership to your resume at the age of 19.

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
My original feeling when he was drafted was two years, three max. I do not think he plays out his entire NCAA eligibility. He's said a few times that he'll make the jump when "he thinks he's ready" -- which is basically code for "when I get a multimillion-dollar contract offer."

That said, given just how well he's been doing, lately I've been starting to feel like there's a chance he comes up for 2013-14. I imagine Jets brass will be taking a very, very hard look at him at this year's development camp.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
My original feeling when he was drafted was two years, three max. I do not think he plays out his entire NCAA eligibility. He's said a few times that he'll make the jump when "he thinks he's ready" -- which is basically code for "when I get a multimillion-dollar contract offer."

That said, given just how well he's been doing, lately I've been starting to feel like there's a chance he comes up for 2013-14. I imagine Jets brass will be taking a very, very hard look at him at this year's development camp.

Although possible I just don't see it, yet.

He'd have to be heads and neck above both Postma and Redmond (after a season of NHL training, development and conditioning) as the three of them would be pretty much fighting for the same spot. And you wouldn't be able to evaluate them together very well.

I still say 2014-15 is the date :) book it dano

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Great post. No need to consider that scenario.

The other piece of the wait 4 years and choose your own team scenario is that the Jets could see it coming a mile away when they go to sign him in the summer of 2014 and Trouba has no interest. In that case they could trade his rights.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Van Ryan was a college player...was he the first to use "the loophole"? Were those other guys try to control where they'd play or was it just a money/contract thing?

Mike Van Ryan started in college, but took advantage of a CHL loophole (getting UFA in two years) to get UFA status. This particular loophole has since been closed. But it was a CHL status that got him to UFA status.

Were Schultz and Wheeler trying to control where they go or was it is a money/contract thing? Is there any way to be sure? How about if they had received those offers from their teams a year earlier? How can we be sure of anything. Players never have to sign with their teams, it is the exact same to suggest that Griffin Reinhart will not sign with the NYI as Trouba will not sign with WPG. Yet I don't see anyone questioning that...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm hoping that Housley sold him on Winnipeg at least when he coached him at the WJHC. I noticed that Housley's twitter picture is him in a Jets uniform. Found that interesting.

https://twitter.com/philhousley6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Housley all but retire after the Jets moved to Phoenix? I know a large contingent of Jets never even laced up for Phoenix.

Edit: Nevermind. I just looked up his bio. I guess it's telling that his profile pic has him in a Jets uniform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad