Speculation: Question about Trouba

ghost88*

Does anyone have any idea/insight on what Trouba's developmental schedule will look like? Has he mentioned how many years he'd be interested in staying at Ann Arbor (Michigan)?

If not, what do think will happen?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My feeling: he'll play this year and next at Michigan, then join the Jets for the 2014-15 season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
On draft day Trouba said education is important but will come once the Jets' give him the call.

Now for the speculation:
Due to NCAA rules Trouba can never attend a full training camp, nor can he play any exhibition games, or else he loses his NCAA status. This means the Jets will want to be sure he's ready as they can't have an "oh crap not quite there yet" moment. Also, for Trouba he'll have an incentive to stay at school unless he's on the team, as I doubt he'll want to leave school for AHL (especially when he noted education is important for him and his family, as stated above). So, he needs to be a guarantee really to make it, not just an iffy.

Tracking players with similar high acumen and similar development, the usual path would be:
*2 years of NCAA (including this season)
*1 year of either sheltered NHL mins and/or AHL leading minutes (more often NHL or combo, just AHL is rare for that high-end prospect at that stage)
*1 year of real role in NHL without sheltering

So, looking even at how he's been doing lately (WJC and all) he tracks for roster 2014-15 region... although development is never linear, ESPECIALLY with D, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took a year longer and IMO wouldn't mean any less of his ceiling.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'd say the official plan is to let him this and next year in college and like YWGinYYZ said, letting him join the roster full time in 14-15.

But, as I just wrote an hour ago in the other thread, I have a different opinion:

Right now I'd bet that he'll make it next season. It wasn't the initial plan but it's a likely scenario. If he's ready sooner than expected, nobody will be against him playing up I guess.

And you're right about the WJC. The most ready looking defenders absolutely have been Hamilton and Trouba. Alongside with Seth Jones, these three were the best defenders of the tournament BUT Jones didn't look ready to play with men. I'd be sooooo interested to see what Trouba would do on our blueline right now with Buff and Bogo out :(

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'd say the official plan is to let him this and next year in college and like YWGinYYZ said, letting him join the roster full time in 14-15.

But, as I just wrote an hour ago in the other thread, I have a different opinion:

If he comes for a tryout next year, he'd eliminate his eligibility to play NCAA hockey. He's pretty much committed to the Jets at that point, unless he simply wants to go back to Michigan for school and not hockey. I'm not sure I see this happening - I think it'll be a mutual decision: we think you're ready, and I think I'm ready to leave school.

Edit: hey! You ninja-edited your quote about the 9 game tryout. :laugh: ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He can't have a 9 game tryout. As soon as he signs a contract he cannot go back to college.

He can play in the AHL next year at 19, but I think that is incredibly unlikely, very few players come out of college early to go to AHL.

ghost88*

I believe that if he pays his own way (for everything - transportation, food, lodging) he's able to attend camp (Not sure if that means rookie or training camp though) and still maintain his eligibility.

I could be wrong though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I believe that if he pays his own way (for everything - transportation, food, lodging) he's able to attend camp (Not sure if that means rookie or training camp though) and still maintain his eligibility.

I could be wrong though.

Holden can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's up to a certain point with training camp to how many days.

Q: Can I attend a testing session with an NHL team and retain my college eligibility?

A: NCAA regulations allow student-athletes (or prospective student-athletes) to take part in one testing or tryout session per NHL team, at the team's expense, for up to 48 hours. An exception is if a player takes part in the NHL Draft Combine or the NHL Research and Development Camp - those events are considered tryouts for all 30 teams. A player could participate in another tryout beyond those events, but would need to pay his own way.

Q: Can I attend an NHL team's summer development camp?

A: NCAA players may attend NHL summer development camps, or prospect camps, but must pay their own way (transportation, lodging, food, etc.).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
NCAA players can attend summer development camps assuming the pay their own way.

As is stated in garret's post, NCAA players may also attend a team's fall rookie camp if they pay their own way as well. However main camp is off-limits, I believe. However they may not be gifted ANYTHING. Not sticks, no hotel rooms, nothing. They are very strict on it, which is why you rarely (read never AFAIK) see players attend any fall camps. NCAA players do often attend summer camps though, however not always and it should not be read into anything if Trouba does not.

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Trouba's parents are the one's who want him to go to college and get some education before the pro's (my opinion from draft day). So I imagine he'll play at least two years with Michigan.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Trouba's parents are the one's who want him to go to college and get some education before the pro's (my opinion from draft day). So I imagine he'll play at least two years with Michigan.

I agree. I think he is there for one more year, then off to the pro's.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If he comes for a tryout next year, he'd eliminate his eligibility to play NCAA hockey. He's pretty much committed to the Jets at that point, unless he simply wants to go back to Michigan for school and not hockey. I'm not sure I see this happening - I think it'll be a mutual decision: we think you're ready, and I think I'm ready to leave school.

Edit: hey! You ninja-edited your quote about the 9 game tryout. :laugh: ;)

I did. It was just after it got remarked in the other thread. Shame one me :help::scared:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Another big factor in the Trouba decision could be the development of Redmond and Postma.

Trouba won't be jumping Buff, Bogo right off the bat. He will not be a left handed D man.

If Redmond and Postma continue to play well, the Jets may let Trouba play an extra year on college.

That or they need to strart working Redmond, Bogo, and or Postma on their off hand. More versatility is better.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba will be here next year and Hainsey won't be offered a contract. He can take classes in the off-season and start making the big bucks next year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Another big factor in the Trouba decision could be the development of Redmond and Postma.

Trouba won't be jumping Buff, Bogo right off the bat. He will not be a left handed D man.

If Redmond and Postma continue to play well, the Jets may let Trouba play an extra year on college.

That or they need to strart working Redmond, Bogo, and or Postma on their off hand. More versatility is better.

one additional option is working Trouba on his off side. In the games I have seen him play in Michigan and at the WJC he was often defending from the left side and looked comfortable to me at least.

Not sure what system Housley was running in the WJC but certainly when Trouba was on the PP he ended up on the left side for the one timer but also there were situations 5 v 5 where he would end up on the left as well although right is how he primarily liked up.

Agreed Redmond and Postma are tracking in a fashion that is giving us more options though for sure.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Trouba was at the rookie camp last summer so I'm pretty confident he'll be back this summer. It's the only time the Jets can really get their hands in him for evaluation fitness testing and strength and conditioning sessions. I would expect a decision for 2013-14 to be made some time shortly after camp, but maybe sooner. I would also expect to see him leave college by 2014-15 at the latest.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

That's part of the problem because we have up to 5 good RHD in our system. RHD aren't used to playing on their off side, it's almost always the other way around.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I thought that too but someone mentioned he cannot do that

Why couldn't he do that? Wheeler did just that with the Coyotes. Shultz did it this past off-season. Four years after his draft a player can declare himself a free agent and sign with whomever he wants.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Pretty sure that's true for any player that hasn't signed a contract. Shultz used a loophole that shaved a year off or so.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Pretty sure that's true for any player that hasn't signed a contract. Shultz used a loophole that shaved a year off or so.

He didn't really use a loophole. He was drafted in 2008 and became a free agent in 2012. Still 4 years. Only thing different is he only played 3 years in the NCAA where as most players who take the college route would have played 4 years in the NCAA before becoming free agents. Either way its sitll 4 years form his draft.

If he had elected to stay in school til graduation it would have added a year til he became a free agent. He never got one shaved off.

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I dont see Trouba playing until his NCAA career is over. That is fine. We arent going to rush him anyways, and it shifts any possible focus as to why we didnt keep him on the team like people are doing with Schefeile. At that time I expect him to take over for Ron Hainsey for playing time and status. He will be a great PK and defensive compliment to a Enstrom type player or even Bogosian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad