Question about the AV years

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Once you guys got your top teams in place with AV, I wonder if you had similar traits to the Rangers. Low Corsi but good possession (though it's hard to quantify most Rangers fans believe our Corsi numbers are deflated because we try to make plays rather than shoot at every chance). Also did the Canucks also sit back when in a lead, particularly in the third, in an extreme way resulting in goalie shooting gallery but mostly wins in those circumstances? Thanks, just curious about the similarities in style of play to those teams or if AV customized his coaching to the Rangers' roster.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Once you guys got your top teams in place with AV, I wonder if you had similar traits to the Rangers. Low Corsi but good possession (though it's hard to quantify most Rangers fans believe our Corsi numbers are deflated because we try to make plays rather than shoot at every chance). Also did the Canucks also sit back when in a lead, particularly in the third, in an extreme way resulting in goalie shooting gallery but mostly wins in those circumstances? Thanks, just curious about the similarities in style of play to those teams or if AV customized his coaching to the Rangers' roster.

AV was notorious for sitting on a lead. Drove a lot of people crazy.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The Vancouver Canucks were a good possession team under AV.

There was this narrative around that AV would sit back and defend one goal leads but the Canucks were absolutely clinical when going into the third period with a lead.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Vancouver Canucks were a good possession team under AV.

There was this narrative around that AV would sit back and defend one goal leads but the Canucks were absolutely clinical when going into the third period with a lead.

There's a stat that the Rangers in the regular season are like 160-1-9 or something in their last 170 games when leading after 2, I think it's around that number. Maybe a bit more than 160. But they sit back a lot. Though, I think that they have games where they jump out in a lead and in the 2nd with a 2-0, 3-0 lead sit back, but are better in the 3rd.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
images

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

06-08 Canucks were middling corsi wise I believe(did they track it in 06-07?) Around 09-10 they started to pick it up and became a top 10 team for the next 3-4 years. The AV Canucks were never an ultimate crank it from everywhere team like they said the "Detroit Model" was, though they were far from low event because of play making. They had one of the best records leading in the 3rd period for those 2 cup contending years iirc and the sitting on a lead stuff was mostly hocus pocus from fans crying about the game 6 loss in 2010 vs Chicago. Almost all teams naturally go into a shell when up in the third.

Biggest myth here for AV was him not giving kids a chance but it turns out the Canucks just didn't have em.
He seems to be playing Lindberg/JT Miller/Kreider etc all fine

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
AV was notorious for sitting on a lead. Drove a lot of people crazy.

its a stupid criticism of good teams though. almost by definition, leading teams sit back. thats how hockey works. score effects are as sure as anything in hockey

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
its a stupid criticism of good teams though. almost by definition, leading teams sit back. thats how hockey works. score effects are as sure as anything in hockey

Its also stupid because of frequency. A good team frequently has the lead in the 3rd so there is more occassion to to "sit back". I'll happily take a "sit back" winning team over a push the play losing team.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Its also stupid because of frequency. A good team frequently has the lead in the 3rd so there is more occassion to to "sit back". I'll happily take a "sit back" winning team over a push the play losing team.

thats what i meant, sorry for being unclear. you see teams that win a lot do it a lot more often because they are in the position to do so

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Also the sitting back on leads is 50-50 with me. A team isn't going to push hard offensively when up one or two goals because then it can cause scoring chances the other way of the defenders get caught up ice. I think it's how AV coaches...play more conservative when you have a lead which I think is reasonable and it's how basically the entire league is now.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I like how it's always "our" team sitting back with the lead, but when they win from behind it was a heroic comeback effort.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I miss hearing "DEEP" every 30 seconds.

At the beginning I remember thinking, "who is the guy yelling during every game?" I was surprised when I figured out it was AV. He didn't strike me as being that vocal :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We lost the cup in 2009 and 2010 cuz we sat on leads

2009 may be accurate but we wouldn't have won the cup that year, 2010 was absolutely not the case, we were simply just worse at ice hockey, that Chicago team was simply ridiculous (we were pretty damn good too)

fact of the matter is AV is absolute dynamite when leading after 2 periods, who cares how its perceived he gets the job done.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

But didn't you hear? Bob Hartley was the coach of the year cuz of all those exciting third period comebacks. :nod:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Yes that is AV. He was good at it though. Having elite goalies helps.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There was a tendency to fall back into more of a shell with AV, but i think it was more so about the way his teams defended, combined with the opposing team making a strong late push.

AVs teams here were always more concerned with protecting high percentage scoring areas, than strictly protecting against all shots and perimeter action. There were times the defensive play would become very passive, the opposition would just be content to own the puck around the perimeter later in games and fire a goodly number of low percentage pucks from the boundaries - kind of made the "sitting back" look worse than it was. We had the goaltending to fall back on for that, with Luongo and later Schneider and Luongo. It worked well for the most part, reflected in the records of those teams.

No doubt it drove some people mad though.

Personally, i quite appreciated the systems work and "efficiency" of Vigneault coached teams here. Required a ton of discipline to execute well. Though admittedly, even with that appreciation, there were many times when that style of play with the lead could become very draining and a bit stressful to watch. :laugh:

The year Vigneault was fired, the team was missing Kesler for most of the year (lockout shortened) and he wasn't at all 100% when he came back. The Center depth just wasn't there to execute perfectly and i think Vigneault did a pretty unheralded job of masking that by clamping things down a lot harder. We had like...Schroeder, Lapierre, some wingers, and eventually Derek Roy masquerading as our "#2C", and somehow came out of the season in a playoff spot. It wasn't pretty though. And i think that's where a lot of the "Vigneault hockey is boring" whining came from, in the lead-up and aftermath of his firing here.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Bless AV, wish the guy was still a Canuck.

He sits on leads which churns out regular season wins at a remarkable rate.

In the playoffs where teams are literally leaving everything they have out there on the ice, AVs sitting on leads lead to a bombardment in the defensive zone that inevitably wears the team down and results in the other team having many solid chances.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007

It is amazing at how similar the current Rangers and AV Canucks are. The sitting on a lead thing became a joke. You will find some AV memes concerning this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad