Line Combos: Question About Lines

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Staal, with his length and weight, is able to hold his scoring position in scoring areas, he makes a huge target for passes, and is able to reach around checks and tip or shoot pucks. Zuccarello has none of those abilities. To mention a potential HOF'er like Staal and Zuccarello in the same breath, or assert that Zuccarello is somehow better, speaks loudly to the power of delusion and zenophobia.

Have you ever stood next to Staal? I have. I am a 6 footer, and he towers over me. I could use the top of Zuccarello's head for a beer rest.
Why are you comparing Staal to Zuccarello in the first place? They don't play the same position and they wouldn't be competing for the same spot on the PP.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why are you comparing Staal to Zuccarello in the first place? They don't play the same position and they wouldn't be competing for the same spot on the PP.

It's because he thinks Kaprizov should be playing with the battle hardened veteran Zuccarello instead of Fiala, and I suggested that if he needs to be sheltered by a veteran, Staal would be sufficient.

Basically he's pouting because Zuccarello might once again be the odd man out.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's because he thinks Kaprizov should be playing with the battle hardened veteran Zuccarello instead of Fiala, and I suggested that if he needs to be sheltered by a veteran, Staal would be sufficient.

Basically he's pouting because Zuccarello might once again be the odd man out.
I get why Webster is pouting about Zuccarello, but it still doesn't really explain why 57Special would go on his nonsensical rant about Staal's length.

The reality of the situation is that neither Staal nor Zuccarello should be on the 1st line next season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I get why Webster is pouting about Zuccarello, but it still doesn't really explain why 57Special would go on his nonsensical rant about Staal's length.

The reality of the situation is that neither Staal nor Zuccarello should be on the 1st line next season.

Completely agree, would love to find a center to supplant Staal. But if my choice is between those two, I'd rather put Staal between the two wingers than separate the two wingers.

Frankly I'd actually put Ek there myself if we don't find anyone else, though I know you disagree with that. Ek would be a much better net front/down low presence, is more physical than Staal, and is a better defensive player.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Completely agree, would love to find a center to supplant Staal. But if my choice is between those two, I'd rather put Staal between the two wingers than separate the two wingers.

Frankly I'd actually put Ek there myself if we don't find anyone else, though I know you disagree with that. Ek would be a much better net front/down low presence, is more physical than Staal, and is a better defensive player.
Ek plays the game with zero skill. I have no desire to watch Fiala and Kaprizov bounce passes off of him. Greenway-Ek-Kunin is already a very good matchup 3rd line. I see no reason to break that up.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ek plays the game with zero skill. I have no desire to watch Fiala and Kaprizov bounce passes off of him. Greenway-Ek-Kunin is already a very good matchup 3rd line. I see no reason to break that up.

He made a few skilled plays last year that turned into goals either for himself or his line mates. He is not completely devoid of skill. He's also smart, and knows where to be to make the right play. His game grew leaps and bounds last year, and it showed.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He made a few skilled plays last year that turned into goals either for himself or his line mates. He is not completely devoid of skill. He's also smart, and knows where to be to make the right play. His game grew leaps and bounds last year, and it showed.
Brad hunt made a few skill plays last year too. Ek is a north-south crash and bang player. I don't want a dump and chase guy on a line with Fiala or Kaprizov. Ek had a great year and proved that he belongs as a 3rd line center. If he starts to show the skill required to play with guys like Fiala, Kapriov, and Zuccarello, then by all means start giving him some time with those types of players. Until then, let the 3rd line player play on the 3rd line. Kunin is the same kind of player.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I believe these are the lines if Kaprizov is ready for the Vancouver series..

Parise-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-Galchenyuk-Zuccarello
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Ek might be exactly what that line would need. good defensivly, annoys other team so they focus on him and he can be a strong net front presence while the other 2 do the board work.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ek might be exactly what that line would need. good defensivly, annoys other team so they focus on him and he can be a strong net front presence while the other 2 do the board work.
And just enough skill to not be a hindrance to their offense. Who knows? Sometimes chemistry materializes between some odd combinations of players. I wouldn't want to forgo testing a guy there just because I don't think it'll work.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
And just enough skill to not be a hindrance to their offense. Who knows? Sometimes chemistry materializes between some odd combinations of players. I wouldn't want to forgo testing a guy there just because I don't think it'll work.
agreed, I don't think he will ever be an elite 1c like we want but he may gel really well with those two. iv seen him attempt to make skilled plays to less skilled linemates before. I think he has the tools to be more offensive and creative with them. just would take a test run to try it out.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think I'd give Eriksson Ek a shot at 1C next year. He seems like he could be the next Koivu. He already plays the second most even strength time among forwards. The worst thing that could happen is we find out after 5-10 games that he can't handle it (yet).

5v5 p/60
Staal 2.00
Eriksson Ek 1.96

ES
Staal 66GP 14g 19a 33pts
Eriksson Ek 62GP 7g 20a 27pts

If he got power play time and points he would look super attractive as a high end 2C.

Also, wasn't the top line before the stoppage mostly Parise-Koivu-Fiala? Or am I misremembering?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think I'd give Eriksson Ek a shot at 1C next year. He seems like he could be the next Koivu. He already plays the second most even strength time among forwards. The worst thing that could happen is we find out after 5-10 games that he can't handle it (yet).

5v5 p/60
Staal 2.00
Eriksson Ek 1.96

ES
Staal 66GP 14g 19a 33pts
Eriksson Ek 62GP 7g 20a 27pts

If he got power play time and points he would look super attractive as a high end 2C.

Also, wasn't the top line before the stoppage mostly Parise-Koivu-Fiala? Or am I misremembering?
top line was parise - staal - fiala I believe. Donato - koivu - hartmann was a very hot line though.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Want to see

Parise-JEE-Fiala
Greenway-Staal-Zuccarello
Foligno-Galchenyuk-Kaprizov
Donato-Koivu-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Soucy
Hunt-Dumba

obviously Kap will move up eventually but I like starting him with Foligno and a skilled C with young legs in Galchenyuk. Gives us 3 lines that can score and a very good 4th line.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Want to see

Parise-JEE-Fiala
Donato-Koivu-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Soucy
Hunt-Dumba

obviously Kap will move up eventually but I like starting him with Foligno and a skilled C with young legs in Galchenyuk. Gives us 3 lines that can score and a very good 4th line.
At least you got the Suter - Spurgeon pairing correct. The rest is pretty awful

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kaprizov won't be on the 3rd line.

you will note the part where I said he would move up. For a guy who has never played in North America, starting on a 3rd line with PP time makes sense. It’s not like the Wild even have a 1st line anyways.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
you will note the part where I said he would move up. For a guy who has never played in North America, starting on a 3rd line with PP time makes sense. It’s not like the Wild even have a 1st line anyways.

Yeah they do, it's whichever one has Fiala on it.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah they do, it's whichever one has Fiala on it.

I guess by that logic we have a 1C in Staal too. The point is that with our roster we will never have 1 dominant line. Maybe Ek makes another big jump and Kap is everything we hope for and those two gel with Fiala. But as it stands now we have 3 units that are glorified 2nd lines and a very good 4th line. I’d rather split up Fiala and Kaprizov but I don’t think anyone can say what’s best for sure until we see him play. None of us can say anything for certain yet

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I guess by that logic we have a 1C in Staal too. The point is that with our roster we will never have 1 dominant line. Maybe Ek makes another big jump and Kap is everything we hope for and those two gel with Fiala. But as it stands now we have 3 units that are glorified 2nd lines and a very good 4th line. I’d rather split up Fiala and Kaprizov but I don’t think anyone can say what’s best for sure until we see him play. None of us can say anything for certain yet

The dominant line was the one with Fiala on it for months.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Why would you put the teams worst 5 on 5 winger on the top line?
Why would you take one of the only 2 right handed forwards out of the lineup?
How are you going to build PP units when you spread your best forwards over 3 lines?
What line draws the defensive assignment against Pettersson's line?
Why would Soucy be on the 2nd pair?
Why would Dumba be on the 3rd pair?
Why the f*** would Hunt be in the lineup?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Want to see

Parise-JEE-Fiala
Donato-Koivu-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Soucy
Hunt-Dumba

I really don't think Kunin will sit to make room for Donato.

Galchenyuk has chemistry with Zuccarello, I don't believe Evason will split them up. This is likely the 2nd line with Kaprizov on the left side, it also helps that Gally speaks Russian.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Why would you put the teams worst 5 on 5 winger on the top line?
Why would you take one of the only 2 right handed forwards out of the lineup?
How are you going to build PP units when you spread your best forwards over 3 lines?
What line draws the defensive assignment against Pettersson's line?
Why would Soucy be on the 2nd pair?
Why would Dumba be on the 3rd pair?
Why the f*** would Hunt be in the lineup?

Yep I forgot Kunin. He would probably slot in where Hartman is or bump Foligno down.

I don’t want any two or Parise-Zucc-Staal together. Any line with 2 of them is prohibitively slow and will be eaten alive by a speedy Canucks team.

Brodin-Soucy were dynamite together and Dumba has been bad all year. Putting him on a third pair also gives us ability to roll 3 pairs. I’d be open to going Brodin-Dumba but I have never loved them as a pair. Brodin becomes too conservative when they are together and I like him more when he is aggressive.

You act like this is the first time in NHL history that a team has opted for the 3 scoring line approach. Remember when Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel led Pens to a Cup? It has a track record of working. Before you say it, I know we aren’t the Pens but the idea is to not give your opponents a rest and we can do that. Not like your proposed lineup is scaring anyone.

As an aside, how many teams can roll out Koivu, Foligno, Hartman and Donato as their 4th line options?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I really don't think Kunin will sit to make room for Donato.

Galchenyuk has chemistry with Zuccarello, I don't believe Evason will split them up. This is likely the 2nd line with Kaprizov on the left side, it also helps that Gally speaks Russian.

yeah I just blanked and forgot Kunin. He definitely will be in the lineup, he was on a nice roll before things ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad