Line Combos: Question About Lines

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yep I forgot Kunin. He would probably slot in where Hartman is or bump Foligno down.

I don’t want any two or Parise-Zucc-Staal together. Any line with 2 of them is prohibitively slow and will be eaten alive by a speedy Canucks team.

Brodin-Soucy were dynamite together and Dumba has been bad all year. Putting him on a third pair also gives us ability to roll 3 pairs. I’d be open to going Brodin-Dumba but I have never loved them as a pair. Brodin becomes too conservative when they are together and I like him more when he is aggressive.

You act like this is the first time in NHL history that a team has opted for the 3 scoring line approach. Remember when Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel led Pens to a Cup? It has a track record of working. Before you say it, I know we aren’t the Pens but the idea is to not give your opponents a rest and we can do that. Not like your proposed lineup is scaring anyone.

As an aside, how many teams can roll out Koivu, Foligno, Hartman and Donato as their 4th line options?
None of Parise, Staal, or Zuccarello are slow. Staal has above average speed
Vancouver isn't a fast team
Brodin and Soucy were outstanding for a stretch but it didn't last
Thinking that Dumba has been bad all year is a terrible take
Playing Hunt before Pateryn is an even worse idea. Even more so when you're going against one of the best PP's
Pittsburgh was able to roll 3 lines like that because they had 3 lines that could play a two-way game. None of your lines above are capable of doing that.
I would love to see a 4th line of Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wouldn't mind playing Eriksson Ek with a little bit of skill, but having him jump Staal is a little much.

Kaprizov - Staal - Fiala
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Zuccarello
Parise - Donato/Galchenyuk - Kunin
Foligno - Koivu/Galchenyuk/Donato - Hartman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - Pateryn/Menell

Not Dubnyk

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn't mind playing Eriksson Ek with a little bit of skill, but having him jump Staal is a little much.

Kaprizov - Staal - Fiala
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Zuccarello
Parise - Donato/Galchenyuk - Kunin
Foligno - Koivu/Galchenyuk/Donato - Hartman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - Pateryn/Menell

Not Dubnyk
Which line takes the defensive asignments?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba and Hunt would be pretty bad in their own end. Don't see it happening. I am hoping that Dumba has used the time off to heal from whatever ails him, and comes back firing. He needs to be a weapon out there again, and I think playing with Brodin gives him the best chance of doing that.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Imo I don't believe you need to have "shutdown" lines for VAN. Just more balanced from top to bottom playing on their A game will be fine especially if we get to have Kap. If however you wanted to match up lines then I suppose I would look to do something like this.

Parise Staal Fiala
Kaprizov Ek Zucc
Greenway Koivu Kunin (shutdown top line)
Foligno Sturm Hartman (out work everyone line)

Feel like you got to split up our likely two best goal scorers if you're trying to match-up our other lines defensively. Shelter that 2nd line from defensive zone faceoffs. Throw in the 1st when needed here and there.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that Sturm will be thrown into the deep end of this year's playoffs. He is an unknown quantity, at this point. I see them sticking with one(or two) of Galchenyuk, Rask, and Donato up front. Sturm can start up fresh next year. I loved the GEEK line, myself. JEE is a rock, Kunin is wise beyond his years, and Greenway can be a beast. Would love to see them grab a hold of an opportunity and run with it.

Depending on who we play, I can see Pateryn getting the nod before Hunt, also. Pateryn and Soucy would be pretty solid defensively, wouldn't get shoved around, and wouldn't be playing on their off side. I don't think keeping Hunt around for the two or so minutes per game he plays on the PP is worth it.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Imo I don't believe you need to have "shutdown" lines for VAN. Just more balanced from top to bottom playing on their A game will be fine especially if we get to have Kap. If however you wanted to match up lines then I suppose I would look to do something like this.

Parise Staal Fiala
Kaprizov Ek Zucc
Greenway Koivu Kunin (shutdown top line)
Foligno Sturm Hartman (out work everyone line)

Feel like you got to split up our likely two best goal scorers if you're trying to match-up our other lines defensively. Shelter that 2nd line from defensive zone faceoffs. Throw in the 1st when needed here and there.
These lines Should work fairly well IMO, but you're playing arguably your worst winger on the top line, and you're very likely cutting into the minutes of The EK line. You're also, increasing Koivu's minutes. Not sure that's the best plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad