Question about KHL schedule

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
I'm planning a trip to Latvia in October and was hoping to catch a Riga game there. Looking at the newly released KHL schedule, it shows on October 26th a game between Riga and Omsk. However, there is no indication which is the home team. I'm assuming since Riga is listed first, they are the home squad? Is that the case?

Any help would be appreciated...

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm planning a trip to Latvia in October and was hoping to catch a Riga game there. Looking at the newly released KHL schedule, it shows on October 26th a game between Riga and Omsk. However, there is no indication which is the home team. I'm assuming since Riga is listed first, they are the home squad? Is that the case?

Any help would be appreciated...

Avangard opens the season at home against Riga, so I assume that game in October is in Latvia, yes. I'm not sure how many times we (Avangard) play with the teams from western conference but given the huge distance, I think it is only one home and one away - so while I emphasize that I'm not %100 sure, it is very likely that this game in October will be in Riga.

By the way, where did you see the schedule? I recently checked KHL website but there was none I could come across. Though the full schedule was to be released today, so it might have come out already. Would you please share the link?

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
It's on the official KHL site, both the English and Russian versions. Just click the schedule link on the top of the page. http://en.khl.ru/calendar/468/08/

But thank you for the help. It's very odd that they wouldn't put an "at" in there to indicate the home team somehow.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It's on the official KHL site, both the English and Russian versions. Just click the schedule link on the top of the page. http://en.khl.ru/calendar/468/08/

But thank you for the help. It's very odd that they wouldn't put an "at" in there to indicate the home team somehow.

Thank you, it wasn't there when I last checked not too long ago. I'd expect some more noise from KHL for the schedule release. :laugh:

The game we are talking about is definitely in Riga, yes. In Europe, the team that comes first plays at home. So you guys in the US have two versions, the latter being used frequently,

Riga vs. Omsk (means Riga at home)
Omsk @ Riga (again, Omsk at Riga)

Though in Europe there is no such concept and they simply put home side first or on top depending on the displaying style. So unless there is a sign suggesting otherwise, the first team is always home. I would ask you what's so difficult about deducing that Riga is the home team here - but I had same problems with the system you use, like "Why on earth would you list away team first?" till seeing that magical "@" thing.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Yeah, I was 99% sure that was the case, as I've encountered this before when seeing KHL and other European league games. I just thought they would at least give some indication on the site that that was the case. Since it was the English language version of the KHL site I first saw it on, I wanted to be sure they hadn't adjusted it to fit the American format. I had to be certain before I started booking my flights and hotels.

Now if only I can find a schedule for the Latvian and Estonian leagues...

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, I was 99% sure that was the case, as I've encountered this before when seeing KHL and other European league games. I just thought they would at least give some indication on the site that that was the case. Since it was the English language version of the KHL site I first saw it on, I wanted to be sure they hadn't adjusted it to fit the American format. I had to be certain before I started booking my flights and hotels.

I don't think the Latvian league schedule has been announced yet, but games should be already underway in October, usually they play at weekends, iirc.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004

Last year the Estonian "league" started the season during the latter half of October. Considering that the league has 3 clubs and the U21 national team playing in it, with two of the clubs being from Tallinn, there's a strong chance you will be able to watch hockey if you're in Tallinn around late October and afterwards.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Thanks for the info. I would love to catch either a Latvian or Estonian league game (or both). We will be flying into Riga on the 25th of October, then leaving on the 27th to drive to Tallinn, taking three days to get there. So, we should be in Tallinn on the 30th and 31st. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to catch a game or two besides the Dinamo Riga game. I love seeing European league games when I have a chance. I know many of these smaller leagues don't release schedules until the last minute, so I suppose I just have to hope I get lucky with the dates.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

It is the european tradition to put the home team first. In all sports and leagues.

It is odd to Europeans to get used to the american form too.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
It is the european tradition to put the home team first. In all sports and leagues.

It is odd to Europeans to get used to the american form too.

I'm aware of the European format. I've seen many games in Europe, including KHL games. But given that was an English language site, I just wanted to make sure they hadn't adjusted it since there was no indication where the games were being played. Now that I know for sure, I can book my trip so I can see that game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm aware of the European format. I've seen many games in Europe, including KHL games. But given that was an English language site, I just wanted to make sure they hadn't adjusted it since there was no indication where the games were being played. Now that I know for sure, I can book my trip so I can see that game.

English still corelates to UK first in Europe. Adjustment to an american habit wouldn't be expected here. It is probably the same with Spanish in the US. You'd think first of Mexico and maybe Latin and South America countries and not Spain.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
I understand your point. But it is my understanding that the English KHL site is geared towards American fans, not so much the UK. I just wanted to be absolutely positive about the game I wanted to attend being in Riga before I put down thousands of dollars on a trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad