Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fans need to realize that Bouchard is one of the few dmen on the team capable of making some of the plays that he does. He's allowed to make some passes every once in a while.
Depends on the severity and the reason for the mistake.
If its correctable then it should be corrected...not excused.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's just a silly philosophy.

Hundreds of mistakes happen in every game. They're all correctable. They never will be. Mistakes are part of the game.
Thats a gross oversimplification of what I am saying.
Read my previous posts (in this thread) on the matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bouchard has a hockey IQ of about 120.
100 offence, 20 defence.
This isn't really true tho. Unfortunately most ppl can't get past perception and bias. When a bad play happens and it looks like he isn't trying, many ppl will amplify that by 1000% as to his hockey IQ. But for every 1 bad play he makes, there are dozens a game he makes at the same speed and calmness. Nobody ever credits him for the amount of times a games he glides into the corner on a forecheck even in a tight race, uses his body to shield the puck then makes a very small outlet pass that transitions the other way cleanly. With the amount of minutes he plays this happens all game, yet when it becomes a turnover, ppl exaggerate it into a common occurrence

Nobody credits him with the clean zone exits when ALOT of dmen in the NHL will just dump it or rim it
Nobody credits him for the amount of board battles he wins...and it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than he loses

PPL don't watch hockey thru objective eyes anymore. Media influence is huge

A prime example is the other nite. It was presented with irrefutable evidence that WF was to blame on Kopys goal, and more than a few ppl maintain he is still the prime suspect. Zero objectivity now adays.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
That's just a silly philosophy.

Hundreds of mistakes happen in every game. They're all correctable. They never will be. Mistakes are part of the game.
Ok, but it's constant mistakes from the same player.

You realize based on the upcoming contract he will command he needs to be held to a higher standard?

He took a massive discount on a bridge deal and you know he will soon be PAID. He will be around a 10 Million dollar player after next year.

We are going down the "Nurse road" again

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This isn't really true tho. Unfortunately most ppl can't get past perception and bias. When a bad play happens and it looks like he isn't trying, many ppl will amplify that by 1000% as to his hockey IQ. But for every 1 bad play he makes, there are dozens a game he makes at the same speed and calmness. Nobody ever credits him for the amount of times a games he glides into the corner on a forecheck even in a tight race, uses his body to shield the puck then makes a very small outlet pass that transitions the other way cleanly. With the amount of minutes he plays this happens all game, yet when it becomes a turnover, ppl exaggerate it into a common occurrence

Nobody credits him with the clean zone exits when ALOT of dmen in the NHL will just dump it or rim it
Nobody credits him for the amount of board battles he wins...and it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than he loses

PPL don't watch hockey thru objective eyes anymore. Media influence is huge

A prime example is the other nite. It was presented with irrefutable evidence that WF was to blame on Kopys goal, and more than a few ppl maintain he is still the prime suspect. Zero objectivity now adays.
If anything I think most Oilers fans have a tainted perception and a bias that is perceiving Bouchard as a top defensemen in the NHL when he's not.

What are you talking about with the media? He will be 5th on some Norris ballots. In the regular season he was being juiced up by them, not put down.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

You realize based on the upcoming contract he will command he needs to be held to a higher standard?

He took a massive discount on a bridge deal and you know he will soon be PAID. He will be around a 10 Million dollar player after next year.

If he keeps making way more positive plays with the puck than mistakes like he has been, it doesn't really matter.

He'll be making just as many mistakes as guys paid like him.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Why are we holding him to a contract hes not earning right now?

Seems like you're just looking for reasons to hate on the player.

If you hyperfocused on a game of Hughes you would notice he makes lots of mistakes with the puck too, skilled D make lots of mistakes because they're making plays that lesser quality D wouldnt even think about.

The good far outweighs the bad with Bouchard, both offensively and defensively.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If anything I think most Oilers fans have a tainted perception and a bias that is perceiving Bouchard as a top defensemen in the NHL when he's not.

What are you talking about with the media? He will be 5th on some Norris ballots. In the regular season he was being juiced up by them, not put down.
The statistics put him into the upper tier of the NHL, not the fans. Seems you're confused on how this works
It also seems you're triggered when fans quote the stats. Quoting stats is not an "opinion", it's merely regurgitating data. Again, something you seem to struggle with

Apparently you can't separate the two, which is a clear indication of you're the one being bias

He has waaaaaaaay more positive stats than negative ones, yet you only harp on the minority. You lock in a bad play as to indicate it was the only play in an entire game. Yet again just more evidence that is you who is bias

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

If you hyperfocused on a game of Hughes you would notice he makes lots of mistakes with the puck too, skilled D make lots of mistakes because they're making plays that lesser quality D wouldnt even think about.

The irony here for the Bouchard haters that they will never admit is that when the team was struggling mightily, Bouchard was the only one still trying to make a play. It was the rest of the dcore that was hurting the team. And this type of play forced Bouchard to defend more, which isn't his strong suit, so they ONLY focused on that

Then Coffey came in and said, for the lack of a better term, "play more like Bouchard does" The controlled passes and speed being generated thru the neutral zone is basically the biggest reason the team turned it around

When the rest of the dcore started playing more a Bouchard style of hockey, the team became more successful. Go figure

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The statistics put him into the upper tier of the NHL, not the fans. Seems you're confused on how this works
It also seems you're triggered when fans quote the stats. Quoting stats is not an "opinion", it's merely regurgitating data. Again, something you seem to struggle with

Apparently you can't separate the two, which is a clear indication of you're the one being bias

He has waaaaaaaay more positive stats than negative ones, yet you only harp on the minority. You lock in a bad play as to indicate it was the only play in an entire game. Yet again just more evidence that is you who is bias
Simple pattern recognition along with basic math skills put Bouchard impact on the game a clear cit positive by a significant margin.

Norris voting is based almost exclusively from points and offense.

Between those facts and also assuming Bouchard is young enough that he "should" also be getting better...

This is a rare special player even taking into account the odd boneheaded play. He "should" be in the Norris/Elite conversation this year and likely moving forward as well.

Reactions: alanschu

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

I mean pro scouts and most people that work in and around hockey agree with my take so think whatever you like and I'll stick with my view. Stats and analytics aren't everything...

After 2 periods tonight the Oilers have been god awful, but credit where credit is due, Bouchard has been excellent tonight.

This is the game we need from him. He's been engaged all night. Great game so far.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mean pro scouts and most people that work in and around hockey agree with my take so think whatever you like and I'll stick with my view. Stats and analytics aren't everything...

After 2 periods tonight the Oilers have been god awful, but credit where credit is due, Bouchard has been excellent tonight.

This is the game we need from him. He's been engaged all night. Great game so far.
He single handily won them the game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Weird, sportsnet raving about how good he is defensively

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bouchard haters will hate that game. Funny enough, not one of them will be able to recognize why. Anyone calling him a low IQ player or defensively low IQ player has absolutely no clue about hockey, or what they are watching.

Skinner was a monster tonite, but Bouch blew away any defensive player on the ice tonite. It wasn't even close. Pure dominance

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This might shock you, but even the best D in the league make mistakes.
Thats fine.
It has nothing to do with my prior comments on Bouchard.

I dont expect a mistake free game but I do expect him to grow a part of his game thats been an issue since he became an Oiler.

If you actually read my posts in this thread you would know that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad