Movies: Queen movie:Bohemian Rhapsody (lets rewrite history)

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I've had half a century to think about this. Barry Manilow, The Bee Gees, the Captain & Tennile, Celine Dion, ELO, ICP, Journey, the Little River Band, Styx, Vanilla Ice. This is the level of quality that I think Queen belongs in.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
right now it looks like the biggest complaint is that it did not take any gambles or challanges to go beyond the paint by numbers Biopic that we see.

Queen were heavily involved in the movie so they were doing nothing that would hurt their image and this included removing several scenes of May's ex-wife as she did not like the way she was portrayed

Vodka_Tonic

Sep 30, 2006
Zürich
right now it looks like the biggest complaint is that it did not take any gambles or challanges to go beyond the paint by numbers Biopic that we see.

Queen were heavily involved in the movie so they were doing nothing that would hurt their image and this included removing several scenes of May's ex-wife as she did not like the way she was portrayed
Mullen was supposed to be in the movie? First time I've heard about that?

I'm going to see it next week, with low expectations. They took too many liberties with history, from what I've read. Songs being played at concerts too early, before they were even written. Clothing style not fitting with the respective era. Apparently also hinting that Freddie knew about his sickness before Live Aid... and that Freddie begged Brian and Roger to take him back with the Band around 1985. If that really is in the movie like that, I'll be pissed. The list goes on.

I'll mainly see the movie to hear the music on a big ass sound system :sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mullen was supposed to be in the movie? First time I've heard about that?

I'm going to see it next week, with low expectations. They took too many liberties with history, from what I've read. Songs being played at concerts too early, before they were even written. Clothing style not fitting with the respective era. Apparently also hinting that Freddie knew about his sickness before Live Aid... and that Freddie begged Brian and Roger to take him back with the Band around 1985. If that really is in the movie like that, I'll be pissed. The list goes on.

I'll mainly see the movie to hear the music on a big ass sound system :sarcasm:
Producers cut Brian May's first wife out of Bohemian Rhapsody | Daily Mail Online

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
57 reviews in and barely above positive overall review amount. Seems most reviewers wanted to like it more than they did and flatout thought the band and Freddie deserved better.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I watched the BBC documentary of Queen on YouTube last night. None of the people involved seem very trustworthy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've had half a century to think about this. Barry Manilow, The Bee Gees, the Captain & Tennile, Celine Dion, ELO, ICP, Journey, the Little River Band, Styx, Vanilla Ice. This is the level of quality that I think Queen belongs in.

Vanilla ice?

Sorry-- I can not respond to your obvious under education in music if you put Queen into the same category as Ice, Capt & Tennile and a few others on that list.

You can bash the Bee Gees as much as you like--but take away their disco stuff--they are a good vocal group

Reactions: frisco

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Rami Malek bugs me for some reason (think it's his creep eyes) and Queen is legendary so I won't be watching this.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

So I take it your not a Queen fan. Everyone has their tastes , but to put them in a group with Vanilla Ice is ridiculous.
I'm not a fan of Led Zepplin nor Areosmith, but I recognize that they are great bands.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I love Queen but it seems Brian May and Roger Taylor are sort of jerks.

We should have gotten the hard gritty biopic that was going to happen originally

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Part of why "Walk the Line" and "Ray" were great is because they weren't afraid to show the horrible things that Cash and Ray did in their lives. It was an attempt at honesty and humility. Made them more human.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I love Queen but it seems Brian May and Roger Taylor are sort of jerks.

We should have gotten the hard gritty biopic that was going to happen originally

the theory that some queen fans carry is that both are trying to sort of rewrite history in an attempt to improve their reputation--not hurting Freddie's of course--just trying to make more out of what they did. Not sure why as both can stand on their when it comes to their imputs--but I compare it to Harrison and Star vs Lennon and McCartney--no matter how good they are--they will be forever in their shadows

Vodka_Tonic

Sep 30, 2006
Zürich
Saw it yesterday and even though I didn't have high expectations and really wanted to like it, it fell short. Generic Biopic with great music fits this really well. They probably should have chosen someone else than Bryan Singer, right from the start.

The messing with the timeline of events really bothered me. Playing Fat Bottomed Girls on their US tour 1974. Rock in Rio on TV in the mid-seventies. Recording We Will Rock You and Freddie sports a moustache... It goes on and on.

In contrast to all the praise Malek gets, there were only a couple of scenes where he made me believe he is Freddie Mercury. I liked Lucy Boynton as Mary though.

All in all, to me, the film failed to capture the essence of Freddie Mercury. It's a vehicle to promote the band's back catalogue. If someone wants to learn more about Mercury or the band, the books "Queen Unseen", "Queen - As It Began" or "Mercury and Me" do a better job. Even the "Days Of Our Lives" documentary or the concert movie "Queen - Hungarian Rhapsody" will give you more insight.

Oh, and it should have ended with Knebworth '86, not Live Aid.

Reactions: the squared circle

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm probably in the minority but I thought it was awesome. It did a pretty solid job outlining Freddie's life albeit it retelling pretty much everything queen fans would know.

Rami Malek's eyes bothered the hell out me as he was young Freddie but he did a fantastic job otherwise. They obviously cut down on some of the more lurid stuff (or changing it like the supposed parties with midgets walking around with coke on silver platters) but they didnt really shy away from anything. They showed Freddie as the oversexed, drugged out, money driven a-hole eventually he eventually became in the lead up to Hot Space and beyond (album still sucks ass btw)

The guys they found to play John Deacon and Brian May were hauntingly similar to their real life counterparts. Like holy damn.

I dislike how they jumbled some of the timeline of events (We Will Rock You was most certainly not recorded around the time The Game was)

I was kinda glad May and Taylor played in the shadow of Freddie even in the movie. Great musicians in their own right, but they are nothing without Mercury. Your relevance died with him. Deal with it.

Overall, a solid 7/10 for me. Certainly nothing ground breaking but worth a watch. (Double points for me since I took my friend and now shes frothing at the mouth to listen to more queen :laugh:)

I also for some reason really enjoyed the surviving members of the group doing the 20th century fox fanfare at the beginning of the movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad