OT: Queen Elizabeth II Dies at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Fact that anything in Canada passed by the house and senate or the legislative assembly still requires royal assent is reason enough to abolish the monarchy

And since were all about reconciliation now the Monarchy is directly responsible for the Indian Act as well as the residential school system

Sept 30 should be a fun day
The Westminster style of democracy has been extraordinarily successful and has saved us from a lot of the disfunction of certain local Republics.

The Royal Ascension is a rubber stamp. It is ceremonial step. Canada is wholly sovereign.

The Monarchy deserves neither praise nor criticism for Canadian laws and their aftermath.

I’m not a monarchist in any way, shape or form, but I have a historical appreciation for how we benefit today from British tradition. Folks who downplay or dismiss our history, institutions and traditions are foolish. We stand on the shoulders of giants and too many are completely ignorant of it.

Regarding QE2, she was a stellar representative of her country, often under trying circumstances, for a great length of time. She deserves tremendous respect, if nothing else.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Despite decades of perpetual unraveling of the empire they didn't do exactly what you want, so may as well unravel Canada to show them who's boss.

Got it.
Way to detract from the conversation.

Does your "decades of perpetual unraveling" solve the issues directly inflicted on nations like India and countless African Countries by the Monarchy?

Not one bit.

Again, it's not about what I want nor did I say anything about what Canada should or shouldn't do. It's about what they did to India, Africa etc.

You're getting posters confused. Don't be so soft.

Reactions: Trafalgar Sadge Law

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Way to detract from the conversation.

Does your "decades of perpetual unraveling" solve the issues directly inflicted on nations like India and countless African Countries by the Monarchy?

Not one bit.

Again, it's not about what I want nor did I say anything about what Canada should or shouldn't do. It's about what they did to India, Africa etc.

Don't be so soft.

Not sure what you want, but ok.

Considering I'm not the one crowing about what the current decolonial monarchy's ancestors did in the 17 and 1800's I'm comfortable saying that I'm not the soft one in the exchange.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Not sure what you want, but ok.

Considering I'm not the one crowing about what the current de-colonial monarchy's ancestors did in the 17 and 1800's I'm comfortable saying that I'm not the soft one in the exchange.
Reading comprehension is not a strong suit for you is it?

I clearly acknowledged there is no true solution for this and I also clearly outlined why many people don't (and should not) give credit to the Monarchy for "decades of perpetual unraveling" as you call it. At no point do I state that Canada should or should not do a thing. If your immediate reaction is to get offensive like you did in your first reply - I'm sorry, but that is soft.

As a side note, consider yourself lucky you don't have to crow about what white colonialists did. It likely means your grandparents or ancestors weren't impacted. Consider yourself among the lucky bunch.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Reading comprehension is not a strong suit for you is it?

I clearly acknowledged there is no true solution for this and I also clearly outlined why many people don't (and should not) give credit to the Monarchy for "decades of perpetual unraveling" as you call it. At no point do I state that Canada should or should not do a thing. If your immediate reaction is to get offensive like you did in your first reply - I'm sorry, but that is soft.

No, you clearly stated "the quicker the system can be eradicated the better" and then crowed about an imagined reparations system that would make everything better for you because the Monarchy's simple acceptance of whatever the Commonwealth nations wish to do on their own volition wasn't good enough.

The only "soft" thing in the exchange is you taking offense to me essentially calling your position ridiculous.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
No, you clearly stated "the quicker the system can be eradicated the better" and then crowed about an imagined reparations system that would make everything better for you because the Monarchy's simple acceptance of whatever the Commonwealth nations wish to do on their own volition wasn't good enough.

The only "soft" thing in the exchange is you taking offense to me essentially calling your position ridiculous.
My first post was a general statement addressing any monarchy as ridiculous. Because IT IS RIDICULOUS. In today's day and age, we should all be considered equals. Not only that, that post was 2 pages ago and not addressed to you in any capacity.

In my second post, directly addressing you, I refused to give your beloved Queen credit after you so staunchly address how much she has supposedly done. I am not seeking any reparations, but if your Queen was such a stand up woman in such a virtuous monarchy, perhaps they would seek to make amends themselves no?

Again, your reading comprehension needs work. You take context where you want it and fill in the blanks. Soft.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My first post was a general statement addressing any monarchy as ridiculous. Because IT IS RIDICULOUS. In today's day and age, we should all be considered equals.

In my second post, I refused to give your beloved Queen credit after you so staunchly address how much she has supposedly done. I am not seeking any reparations, but if your Queen was such a stand up woman in such a virtuous monarchy, perhaps they would seek to make amends themselves no?

Again, your reading comprehension needs work. You take context where you want it and fill in the blanks. Soft.

I understand why you might want to give them whatever credit you want to give, but that Crown Jewels she wore on her forehead for the past however many years are still blood diamonds from India and Africa.

If they respected the wishes of other nations, they would likely facilitate conversations for reparations from the countless lives and riches lost and seek to make amends - instead, the so cold Monarchy continues to be exactly that, a Monarchy built off crimes and stealing from other nations.

They may not be white colonizers, however they still reap and gladly sow the rewards of crimes committed by their ancestors.

There is no true solution for this, but the monarchy deserves no credit for the so called "good" they do, when it's just a drop in the bucket to seeking amends.

moving-goalpost.gif

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Reading comprehension, my friend.

Me stating "If they respected the wishes of other nations, they would likely facilitate conversations for reparations" does not equate to me seeking reparations. But do you seriously think India and Africa DO NOT want their riches back?

C'mon man, use your head.

Quite frankly, me living in Canada, I am a benefactor of the situation. Reparations do me no good. But perhaps they help the nations dismantled and looted like many African nations and India.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Reading comprehension, my friend.

Me stating "If they respected the wishes of other nations, they would likely facilitate conversations for reparations" does not equate to me seeking reparations. But do you seriously think India and Africa DO NOT want their riches back?

C'mon man, use your head.

You'll have to forgive me for perceiving that your wish that the Monarchy would "facilitate conversations for reparations" with a follow up stating how great reparations would be as asking for reparations. Don't know how I made that connection.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
You'll have to forgive me for perceiving that your wish that the Monarchy would "facilitate conversations for reparations" as asking for reparations. Don't know how I made that connection.
The comment is clearly addressing the virtue of your beloved Monarchy. Again, if they were so stand up, would they not be happy to make amends with these countries they now reap the benefits from?

And yet they haven't. They get no credit from me and they shouldn't from many others.

But I'll state this again since you so clearly ignored it that first time:

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to crow about what white colonialists did. It likely means your grandparents or ancestors weren't impacted. You are among the lucky bunch.

Reactions: Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

And we're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad