OT: Queen Elizabeth II Dies at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Always respected the Queen...despite her family.

Once the dust settles and she is laid to rest, it would sure be nice if we took the opportunity and left the monarchy in our rear view....

Reactions: SnipeShowJB11

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022

Once the dust settles and she is laid to rest, it would sure be nice if we took the opportunity and left the monarchy in our rear view....
Feel the same way. What is the point of it?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Well I liked the tv show "The Crown."

Queen Elizabeth always appeared to be an empathetic and caring person who was steady and sure in her public role. Fate placed her into her country's leadership role and it is incredible to think of how ubiquitous she has been over so many years and significant global events. May she Rest In Peace.

All said, I am not a monarchist and feel this new era brings an opportunity to further move way from an archaic system.

Reactions: Skar

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Good luck with that. The monarchy is a legal lynch pin that assures some their sinecure, they won’t let it go easily.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dedication, perseverance and character.

She led for 70 years with class, grace and dignity, with nary a hint of any personal scandal (her family members notwithstanding).

She dedicated most of her adult life to service.

A true one of a kind who will be remembered as one of the brightest examples of leadership in history.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

As much as this progressive viewpoint might be agreeable on the surface, as soon as you dig a little bit you hit a lot of stumbling blocks.

Firstly, to remove the monarchy means changing the constitution. That means calling a constitutional convention (a la the Charlottetown Accords) in which you’d either need the premiers that represent greater than 50% of the Canadian population to agree to this or do a nationwide referendum to settle the matter. This would cost hundreds of millions. Plus, getting the 10 premiers to agree on removing the monarchy might be near impossible. I don’t think you could get all 10 to agree on what sandwiches to serve at lunch.

Next, virtually all legally binding documents in the government would need to be re-written since a large portion either have the monarch as a signatory or are between the monarch and the citizenry. A large portion of government offices, police forces, etc would need to be renamed and their governing document re-written. This would be a massive effort with an almost infinite scope. Just getting this done alone would be in the billions of dollars.

This sort of effort has happened in other countries, yes, but not one of the scale and size of Canada. It would be a multi-billion dollar effort that would virtually change nothing for the average citizen. This country has a lot bigger fish to fry than a glorified name change.

That’s why at least I’m in favour of preserving it. It’s part of the furniture and doesn’t really affect anything or cost anything.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Feel the same way. What is the point of it?
I'll take some heat but I think its a complete waste of money. How much of our taxes go to a Governor General of Canada? Lets face it, the days of royalty are over. Im curious how much it costs to keep that Royal Family going? When Carrot-Top Harry was staying in Vancouver, how much did that cost us? Then he moves.
I can see them spending money on a better Dental plan for them but thats it

Reactions: Skar and Darkwinter

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I'll take some heat but I think its a complete waste of money. How much of our taxes go to a Governor General of Canada? Lets face it, the days of royalty are over. Im curious how much it costs to keep that Royal Family going? When Carrot-Top Harry was staying in Vancouver, how much did that cost us? Then he moves.
I wouldn't give you heat for that. I find it completely pointless. I wonder if they will ever return the most famous diamond in the world back to India worth over half a billion dollars (It sits on top of the Monarch crown). The one they stole from a 10 year old Indian boy/prince way back. Or Africa's Star diamond almost worth the same. They sit on so much stolen artifacts, etc.

Reactions: Skar and PuckG

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think it cost us anything for Harry to live in Canada. I think the Royal Family was paying for it - until they decided not to and he had to move. That's what I gathered from it anyway.

I think the cost to move away from it would be far more expensive than most realize. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars just in updating documents, legal fees, all of the politicking it would take to run the referendum on it, etc. Just leave it as is. The cost is rather minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn't give you heat for that. I find it completely pointless. I wonder if they will ever return the most famous diamond in the world back to India worth over half a billion dollars (It sits on top of the Monarch crown). The one they stole from a 10 year old Indian boy/prince way back. Or Africa's Star diamond almost worth the same. They sit on so much stolen artifacts, etc.
You state this though in the context of a Canadian board, in a country, Canada, that benefitted enormously from the Commonwealth, and saved as we were from worse circumstance going on south of the border, or with fractious France.

I get that everybody is going to have a different experience with Royalty, and the Commonwealth but Canada's experience with it would be decidedly different than other places. and positive, and ingrained in what we are as a Nation,

Were it not for Britain Canada would be property of France or US. I'll take the status quo any time.

I'll raise you that we would have all fell to fascism, anarchy and far more complaints, and wouldn't even be allowed to write any, had it not been for the Commonwealth of nations and the huge impact they had on WWII. I mean everything in balance right? We owe our freedom, and nothing less, to the Commonwealth, to the Royal Family. To the strong fabric such nobility always stirred in a wealth of nations. One doesn't have to accept whether the nature of such nobility should be important, but just reflect that it was and that soldiers fought for "King and country" for our freedom. I shouldn't have to state this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As much as this progressive viewpoint might be agreeable on the surface, as soon as you dig a little bit you hit a lot of stumbling blocks.

Firstly, to remove the monarchy means changing the constitution. That means calling a constitutional convention (a la the Charlottetown Accords) in which you’d either need the premiers that represent greater than 50% of the Canadian population to agree to this or do a nationwide referendum to settle the matter. This would cost hundreds of millions. Plus, getting the 10 premiers to agree on removing the monarchy might be near impossible. I don’t think you could get all 10 to agree on what sandwiches to serve at lunch.

Next, virtually all legally binding documents in the government would need to be re-written since a large portion either have the monarch as a signatory or are between the monarch and the citizenry. A large portion of government offices, police forces, etc would need to be renamed and their governing document re-written. This would be a massive effort with an almost infinite scope. Just getting this done alone would be in the billions of dollars.

This sort of effort has happened in other countries, yes, but not one of the scale and size of Canada. It would be a multi-billion dollar effort that would virtually change nothing for the average citizen. This country has a lot bigger fish to fry than a glorified name change.

That’s why at least I’m in favour of preserving it. It’s part of the furniture and doesn’t really affect anything or cost anything.

1000% this. The only argument for getting rid of the Monarchy at this point is "I don't really get it" while there is a laundry list of reasons to remain as you pointed out. Until there is a compelling reason to leave it isn't worth close to the effort.

A re-write of the constitution alone would probably blow the country apart at this point in time.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1000% this. The only argument for getting rid of the Monarchy at this point is "I don't really get it" while there is a laundry list of reasons to remain as you pointed out. Until there is a compelling reason to leave it isn't worth close to the effort.

A re-write of the constitution alone would probably blow the country apart at this point in time.

The Fact that anything in Canada passed by the house and senate or the legislative assembly still requires royal assent is reason enough to abolish the monarchy

And since were all about reconciliation now the Monarchy is directly responsible for the Indian Act as well as the residential school system

Sept 30 should be a fun day

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don't think it cost us anything for Harry to live in Canada. I think the Royal Family was paying for it - until they decided not to and he had to move. That's what I gathered from it anyway.

I think the cost to move away from it would be far more expensive than most realize. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars just in updating documents, legal fees, all of the politicking it would take to run the referendum on it, etc. Just leave it as is. The cost is rather minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The Fact that anything in Canada passed by the house and senate or the legislative assembly still requires royal assent is reason enough to abolish the monarchy

And since were all about reconciliation now the Monarchy is directly responsible for the Indian Act as well as the residential school system

Help me out here. How is that?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hard to believe India part of the Commonwealth. The British Commonwealth stretched the Globe before. I have been to London and seen Westminster. I would like to have the job doing landscaping

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

When has Royal Assent been an issue in Canada in its entire history? If anything it has been a benefit when it has been withheld as a check on overzealous governments trying to pass blatantly unconstitutional legislation.

You need to check your facts on the second point.

In any case, neither are worth blowing up the country over.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You state this though in the context of a Canadian board, in a country, Canada, that benefitted enormously from the Commonwealth, and saved as we were from worse circumstance going on south of the border, or with fractious France.

I get that everybody is going to have a different experience with Royalty, and the Commonwealth but Canada's experience with it would be decidedly different than other places. and positive, and ingrained in what we are as a Nation,

Were it not for Britain Canada would be property of France or US. I'll take the status quo any time.

I'll raise you that we would have all fell to fascism, anarchy and far more complaints, and wouldn't even be allowed to write any, had it not been for the Commonwealth of nations and the huge impact they had on WWII. I mean everything in balance right? We owe our freedom, and nothing less, to the Commonwealth, to the Royal Family. To the strong fabric such nobility always stirred in a wealth of nations. One doesn't have to accept whether the nature of such nobility should be important, but just reflect that it was and that soldiers fought for "King and country" for our freedom. I shouldn't have to state this.
U said the Commonwealth. Yes, England. One of the toughest military forces in the world history. We dont owe anything to the Monarchy . I stand by my comment, waste of money

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
U said the Commonwealth. Yes, England. One of the toughest military forces in the world history. We dont owe anything to the Monarchy . I stand by my comment, waste of money

If finances are the issue do you pay any credence to the billions it would cost to change? Never mind the incredible political and social cost.

A lot more than $300k one time.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
When has Royal Assent been an issue in Canada in its entire history? If anything it has been a benefit when it has been withheld as a check on overzealous governments trying to pass blatantly unconstitutional legislation.

You need to check your facts on the second point.

In any case, neither are worth blowing up the country over.
Someone who was not voted in to power by the people should have no power.

We have something Called the Supreme court of canada whose sole role is to deal with constitutional issues

Currently the LT Gov of Alberta has inserted herself in to the UCP leadership race.

Well considering residential schools have been around longer than canada as a country's yes the monarchy is directly responsible for the genocide of the Indegenous people they conquered

And the Indian Act received royal assent also know as the Monarchys blessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad