OT: Quebec's all-time best athlete?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
With GSP announcing his retirement today, TSN 690 are asking if he's Quebec's best athlete of all time. My hockey bias wants to say no, but you can definitely make an argument that he is.

Figured a post here could be pretty interesting. What do other people think?

GSP? Richard? Lemieux? Eugenie Bouchard?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Carl Carmoni

Gilles Buissiere was much better.

Gilles%20et%20Lucie.jpg

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Roy, Lemieux, Bourque are all considered to be one of the best at their positions. GSP is considered to be one of the best in his sport.

It's really hard to tell because MMA isn't the same as other sports. If GSP would've kept fighting and winning the answer would've been obvious.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Hard to say, so many amateur sports we don't follow.... I like the Kingsbury suggestion. There are a bunch of skiers who made their mark.

From what I know, I'd say Lemieux.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Roy, Lemieux, Bourque are all considered to be one of the best at their positions. GSP is considered to be one of the best in his sport.

It's really hard to tell because MMA isn't the same as other sports. If GSP would've kept fighting and winning the answer would've been obvious.
At worse Lemieux is number two in his sport, at best GsP isnt even top 5 in his sport.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's what makes this conversation so interesting. There will never be a unanimous #1 since it's so hard to compare. It can be fun to discuss, though.
Put GSP on skates, Charles Hudon will look like a superstar.
Put Weber or Chara in a ring with GSP...they'll be lucky to last more than 10sec.

So..if we going by most well versed, then I'd probably give it to GSP. Him or who ever was our best gymnast ever.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Being the best in the history at hockey trumps every thing, sorry but this isnt even close.

No it doesn’t. You have like 5 countries that legitimately put money into hockey and only middle class+ families in those countries can afford to have their kids play. And in half of Mario’s time, Europeans weren’t even in the league.

There are way more MMA fighters in the world and GSP is arguably the best ever.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Put GSP on skates, Charles Hudon will look like a superstar.
Put Weber or Chara in a ring with GSP...they'll be lucky to last more than 10sec.

So..if we going by most well versed, then I'd probably give it to GSP. Him or who ever was our best gymnast ever.

Dude Chara and Weber could last a round against GSP, based and size and strength.

I would go with Louis Cyr, most of his records lasted till today, was an international star, started the reputation of French-Canadian super strength.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No it doesn’t. You have like 5 countries that legitimately put money into hockey and only middle class+ families in those countries can afford to have their kids play. And in half of Mario’s time, Europeans weren’t even in the league.

There are way more MMA fighters in the world and GSP is arguably the best ever.
Do you even know how much MMA costs ? :laugh:

Edit: And lets not even go into that... MMA is literally two decades old.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad