Quebec Speculation (re: Canadian division)

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
4mbe8e.jpg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I live in Quebec city, not a single serious tv/radio/paper is talking about this

The talk of an all Canadian division for next season got the usual suspects on social media (that you can count on one hand) all ginned up over a team magically returning to Quebec City.

It’s still premature to know what the league’s going to do.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There is a very good chance covid will be the nail in the coffin for a couple of the current NHL markets. Quebec City has always been an emergency landing zone for the NHL. More talk will pick up in the coming months. At some point rich guys don't like losing millions and millions of dollars and they throw the keys on the table.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
There is a very good chance covid will be the nail in the coffin for a couple of the current NHL markets. Quebec City has always been an emergency landing zone for the NHL. More talk will pick up in the coming months. At some point rich guys don't like losing millions and millions of dollars and they throw the keys on the table.

Without trying to fan flames...
Which markets do you refer to?
Are you speaking because they are traditionally and commonly held 'soft markets', or are you referring to them because COVID is affecting the owners' other businesses so negatively?

Again, I want to remind everyone that, for markets like Arizona, who lose money primarily because they can't create enough local revenue to keep up with the Montreals, Torontos and Rangers, a year in which EVERYONE has lower local revenue is, in some ways, a good thing.....as long as the owner has enough liquidity to endure himself.

This is the reason that the league continues to grapple with the idea of how to play with no or reduced crowds, or they attempt to guess how long it will be before crowds are allowed back...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are you speaking because they are traditionally and commonly held 'soft markets', or are you referring to them because COVID is affecting the owners' other businesses so negatively?

Again, I want to remind everyone that, for markets like Arizona, who lose money primarily because they can't create enough local revenue to keep up with the Montreals, Torontos and Rangers, a year in which EVERYONE has lower local revenue is, in some ways, a good thing.....as long as the owner has enough liquidity to endure himself.

This is the reason that the league continues to grapple with the idea of how to play with no or reduced crowds, or they attempt to guess how long it will be before crowds are allowed back...
Could the Coyotes’ owner be wanting to move his team and Covid becomes the (public) excuse and not the (private) reason?

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Meh, the current crisis will lead to an insanely deep financial hole for the CHL, ECHL, AHL and even NHL. Leagues very highly dependant on ticket sales (unlike the more TV dependant other leagues).

Now, the CHL will be saved by the Canandian Federal/Provincial governments. And the ECHL/AHL will be bailed out by the NHL... but who will help paper the giant NHL losses?

To me it depends how long the crisis lasts. The teams can simply borrow a ton of cash for a while yet... but what when this is maxed out?

For many teams, deep pocketed owners will pay the bill. For others, other revenue streams (like the RDS local contract for the Habs) will save the day. For yet others, the promise of profits in the future will allow more borrowing without problems...

But for a few teams... none of these solutions apply... what then?

But, dont panic, that problem only comes into play if by the spring it's still impossible to have significant crowds watching games. If there's a vaccine by then the problem's gone. So we'll see.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Could the Coyotes’ owner be wanting to move his team and Covid becomes the (public) excuse and not the (private) reason?
Doubtful, he's been trying to get a new arena in Arizona since buying the team. Would be weird to jump ship on a market he showed no signs of wanting out of.

And I wouldn't be shocked if the richer owners are chipping in to keep the less wealthy among them going until the pandemic subsides; the league wants stability, and you don't get that by letting all your lower-rung members flounder and sell off teams to people who will move them.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
If anything, Saskatoon is 1000 X better option then QC. Same time, Same conference, atleast 30% of the same fans in the crowd lol (3-4000 snowbirds)

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Is there talk the Coyotes might be moving soon though? Maybe the owner will use Covid losses as an excuse to move next year?
He can't even if he wanted to; he's only in year two of ownership of the team, and the NHL has a seven-year non-relocation clause...meaning the earliest he could move it is June 30th of 2026.

At that point, it's just better to expand to Houston in 2024 over waiting most of the next decade to move a team. And Meruelo doesn't even want to relocate anyways; he's been looking into arena possibilities exclusively in Arizona.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
If anything, Saskatoon is 1000 X better option then QC. Same time, Same conference, atleast 30% of the same fans in the crowd lol (3-4000 snowbirds)
So 3-4000 snowbirds? That aren't there for hockey season? OR are they coming down from the North Pole for winter? Sarcastic but honest question.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
He can't even if he wanted to; he's only in year two of ownership of the team, and the NHL has a seven-year non-relocation clause...meaning the earliest he could move it is June 30th of 2026.

At that point, it's just better to expand to Houston in 2024 over waiting most of the next decade to move a team. And Meruelo doesn't even want to relocate anyways; he's been looking into arena possibilities exclusively in Arizona.
Actually, Meruelo can relocate the team as of Dec 31. This was reported by a local reporter who asked a team exec if that was correct. The exec reported that it was true, but that the they have no intention of relocating. I believe TL brought that revelation forward in another thread a few months ago.
Check out the thread on BOH “ Coyotes have not paid their rent “ starting post # 163

Last edited:
Reactions: Slashers98

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I won't name specific markets. I think there's up to five that are in serious trouble with no gate revenues coming in. Not saying all or any of them will "turn in the keys", but the chatter has already increased.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
You guys would have thought by now to never say never.
When the Winnipeg rumours were swirling, it was the same thing. Never gonna happen, Winnipeg will never see the NHL again, be happy with the AHL...
One NEVER knows what will happen.
QC CAN happen... just unlikely right now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You guys would have thought by now to never say never.
When the Winnipeg rumours were swirling, it was the same thing. Never gonna happen, Winnipeg will never see the NHL again, be happy with the AHL...
One NEVER knows what will happen.
QC CAN happen... just unlikely right now.
Maybe the Coyotes move to Atlanta? Then I could see them going from there to QC.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Actually, Meruelo can relocate the team as of Dec 31. This was reported by a local reporter who asked a team exec if that was correct. The exec reported that it was true, but that the they have no intention of relocating. I believe TL brought that revelation forward in another thread a few months ago.
Check out the thread on BOH “ Coyotes have not paid their rent “ starting post # 163

The rent issue was resolved for now.

Sure they can choose to not renew on 12/31. It’s been like that for the last five years but they haven’t moved have they??

But keep trying.... might get lucky. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
The rent issue was resolved for now.

Sure they can choose to not renew on 12/31. It’s been like that for the last five years but they haven’t moved have they??

But keep trying.... might get lucky. :sarcasm:
Actually, I guess that you are assuming that I was commenting on the rent issue. I was not. What I was doing was replying to the poster that said the team was locked into Arizona til 2026, because of the NHL non relocation clause for new owners. That is not the case. I made no commentary on the lease renewal, I prefer to just “ wait and see “ what happens in that regard. If you took the time to actually read my post you would see that I added the obligatory “ ownership has no intention of exercising that option.” ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00