GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part III (Mod Warning Post #2)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Soviet team played as a team, thats why they often humiliate nhl teams, all star teams and National Pro and Amateur teams.

Can´t compare old school soviet team players with the russian prima donnas of this era.

Such a disgrace for the Russian people and hockey fans to watch this russian "team" today. Not to take any credit of Finland, they were really great.

Also remember they were the only 20 or so players chosen not only from all of Russia, but all of their little satellite states as well. Then they did nothing but get drilled by Tikinov for 360 or so days a year. That team was great, but can't be compared to anyone they played against. No team anywhere in the world was then or ever again will be that controlled, driven, and robotized. Never again.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Shame. I really wanted to see the Russians get to the finals.

Now everyone will bash Ovechkin.

It's a one game eliminatinf tourny...that's like 10 days long. Probably the most over hyped and awesome, tourny going.

cest la vie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How people blame Russia's loss by taking KHL guys is beyond me. Finland's team is half KHL and FEL players. Aaltonen who scored the tying goal plays in Finnish league. Line up was like this

NHL - KHL - NHL
NHL - NHL - NHL
NHL - KHL - FEL
KHL - KHL - KHL

NHL - NHL/AHL
NHL - NHL
KHL - KHL
FEL - FEL

NHL

Could this be because the best NHL Finnish players were all selected, many of whom were injured and couldn't play, and were then replaced by the best Finland had from wherever else they were playing (KHL/FEL)?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Could this be because the best NHL Finnish players were all selected, many of whom were injured and couldn't play, and were then replaced by the best Finland had from wherever else they were playing (KHL/FEL)?

No. They left out Bergenheim,Joensuu,Leino,Ristolainen,Haula before the injuries(M.Koivu,Filppula,S.Koivu,Barkov). Our European guys are just better than some of our NHL players.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
It's funny that a lot of people are pinning this on Varly. The first goal was stoppable, but other than that, none of this is his fault. If Bob started, Russia still loses this game. The Russian defense was HORRIBLE. What? If Bob started, it's a 1-0 Russia victory? The Finns had it together, Russia didn't.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
YES!!!

This team bares a striking resemblance to the WJC Champions this year. Soldiering on with an already lesser roster decimated by injuries. If we medal - not to speak of going to the finald - I think it's safe to say Westerlund is the greatest Finnish NT coach of all time.

Imagine if we had Valle, Barkov and Koivu(s). Barkov's injury still stings. Immonen has done an admirable job, but he is still a mere plug. With Barkov the 1st line had the potention of being our most lethal Olympic line ever. The chemistry was evident instantly. And our face-off/puck possession numbers would be far better with Sasha still on board. We'll, I still have faith that this team has the potential to go all the way :yo:

And how about Vatanen and Määttä - already our leading d-men. Vatanen is the biggest generator of our offense alongside MiG while being surprisingly solid and gritty in the defensive zone. And Määttä plays such an insanely mature and mistake free hockey. Marvelous to watch.

Crosby has played just as good, isa y he has created just as many scoring changes, in these short tournaments the points aren`t everything. He didnt piss in my cereal, i just hate him.Once again he gets away with his team losing (like when the red wings lose), but when Crosby`s Ovi`s or Malkin`s team lose its solely because of them.

I guess it has to do with Datsyuk being so humble and the best 2-way forward in the game. When Sid, Geno and Ovy don't show up in the score sheet they are failing at their jobs. When Datsyuk has quieter showing on that department he is still shutting down opposition's best playres and providing insane puck possession, takeaways and highlight reel plays and dangles. Not saying he shouldn't be accountable for the failures of his teams, but he has pretty much always been the best part of those "failures", just like in these Olympics. And he WAS still injrued, it's apparent when looking at his skating. Looked much worse during the last games he played with Wings before the Olympic break. Your bias/hate is laughable.

P.S: I too join the choir and admit I feels sad for the Russians. Representing your county in the Olympics on your home soil is once in a life time experience, and they got nothing to take home from it...

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I didn't expect this but looking at Russia even from the beginning is that their defense and goaltending is very weak. They have a good first 5-6 players but after Ovie, Malkin, Kovalchuck, Datsyuk, Semin and Radulov they are weak. Most of their forwards aren't defensively good either.

Rentsi

Jan 15, 2014
SWE - FIN will be a good game.. And so will USA - CAN

Last edited:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Anyone have that epic gif that was posted after finlands second goal?

Edit: found it :laugh:
iVxvznxxV5ksm.gif

Last edited:

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Sorry, but anyone saying this isn't an upset is fooling themselves. Major props to Finland for being so united today, and for a long time. You can tell they all buy into the system. That being said, Finland is missing Barkov..Koivu...Filppula, that is their 3 best players. If it was only Koivu then fine but like I said, that is their 3 best players; Finland had no business winning today.

Finland has become one of my favourite teams to watch internationally (except the WJCs cause they knocked Canada out), their program is truly flourishing.

SWE-FIN AND CAN-USA! I can't wait, two of the best rivalries in Hockey.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry, but anyone saying this isn't an upset is fooling themselves. Major props to Finland for being so united today, and for a long time. You can tell they all buy into the system. That being said, Finland is missing Barkov..Koivu...Filppula, that is their 3 best players. If it was only Koivu then fine but like I said, that is their 3 best players; Finland had no business winning today.

Finland has become one of my favourite teams to watch internationally (except the WJCs cause they knocked Canada out), their program is truly flourishing.

SWE-FIN AND CAN-USA! I can't wait, two of the best rivalries in Hockey.

Finland winning was not a surprise. Follow more hockey,

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Russia was overrated in this tournament, and the Finns have been, for whatever reason, written off by North American media.

100% agree with you. Finland is always written off for some reason. I had question marks about Russia going in, but still thought they would medal. Bobrovsky should have been starting. I do not know what the Russian coaches were thinking with some of their lines. I live close to an area of Toronto with a large Russian population, and watching the game there, there are a lot of angry people at the coach especially. Still sucks for Russia. I feel for the Russian fans. If any of them beautiful Russian Women need a shoulder to cry on, i am available (LOL). If Canada had lost, i would needed a shoulder too. The beautiful thing about this is that it is an one game showdown. Anything can happen in one game. Congrats to Finland and the Finnish fans!

CanadaKid

Feb 19, 2014
NY
I heard the Russian Coach got really mad during the post game interview. does anyone have a link to the post game? I want to hear what he said

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Still can't believe the host country won't be playing for a medal in men's Olympic hockey.

bobbyt911

I'm going to assume this went unnoticed the first time. Stop with the Putin jokes. Stop with the "disappearance" jokes. Stop with joking about the Olympics being canceled and that people are going to die. We shouldn't have to warn you about this.

Its to bad cuz this thread had potential to be epic:laugh:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Here comes the Leksa Train! (don't know if it has been posted already)
5Ff1oRO.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad