GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part III (Mod Warning Post #2)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finland Hockey:

1. Pegged as being on the downswing
2. Half the team gets hurt before the tournament
3. Get counted out further
4. Play for a medal

They do what they do, but now need to finish the job this time. Kimmo's always getting gold stars instead of gold medals.

source

Jul 13, 2008
It doesn't matter if you play in the NHL/KHL/Liiga/SHL. When you put on the finnish jersey you will play harder and better than ever before, especially if you aren't a top player.

This is true. Finland is like Latvia with more talent.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I wanted to see the US beat Canada and then beat Russia for the gold medal.

I feel bad for Russia, but not for Radulov. I am a Nashville fan and he screwed them.
However, Rads did win the game against (for) the US with his stupid penalties.

Congrats to Finland!

I don't think that the NA media underrates Finland. I think that they don't know much about hockey and the Finns fly under the radar.

Jun 22, 2009
I called Finland to take out Russia before the Olympics started. Russia's style plays right into the hands of the Finnish system. Don't understand how the hell you play Ovechkin with Malkin. Split them apart and have 2 dominating forces on two different lines. I woulda went with this

Ovechkin-Datsuyk-Raudlov
Tarresenko-Malkin-Semin
Kovulchuk-Anismov-Nuke
Tikhnov-Svitov-Kulemin

Have three lines that have a dominating force on each one.. Russia's coach is to blame.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I heard the Russian Coach got really mad during the post game interview. does anyone have a link to the post game? I want to hear what he said

I've been coming across bits and pieces of things being written by reporters and said by analysts, tweets that you just have to search around for. things just don't seem right. it's fishy really how it all played out. the coaching decisions, etc.. just too weird to make any sense. I seriously doubt that we've heard the end of all this. who knows? it was all odd. what happened with the Russian team right from the start, selection, etc., was strange. everything. I hope someone posts coaches post game interview and people can judge for themselves.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I called Finland to take out Russia before the Olympics started. Russia's style plays right into the hands of the Finnish system. Don't understand how the hell you play Ovechkin with Malkin. Split them apart and have 2 dominating forces on two different lines. I woulda went with this

Ovechkin-Datsuyk-Raudlov
Tarresenko-Malkin-Semin
Kovulchuk-Anismov-Nuke
Tikhnov-Svitov-Kulemin

Have three lines that have a dominating force on each one.. Russia's coach is to blame.

better possible line ups like this and good special teams make too much sense. everyone saw it for what it was. the P by P guys, everyone was commenting, though they stayed the course. why??? guys weren't put into positions to succeed. then he calls out Ovechkin, etc. after. damn fishy......

sibiriak

Feb 19, 2014
Funny I would have thought a good majority of the 50 Billion spent by Putin would have been used to rig Hockey. :sarcasm:

Well, to paraphrase Churchill, we've established that Canada is willing to lose in hockey for money, the question is only for how much. Is that what you meant?

NorthernILHawksFan

Feb 14, 2010
IL
Is it not common to pull the goalie in Europe? I saw a couple tweets that said Malkin had to tell the coach to get Bobrovsky out of there. I know one thing about the Miracle on Ice was the Soviets never pulled the goalie.

sibiriak

Feb 19, 2014
Is it not common to pull the goalie in Europe? I saw a couple tweets that said Malkin had to tell the coach to get Bobrovsky out of there. I know one thing about the Miracle on Ice was the Soviets never pulled the goalie.
Who was the original source for this "Malkin told the coach to pull goalie" thing? Is that source any good?

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Sorry, but anyone saying this isn't an upset is fooling themselves. Major props to Finland for being so united today, and for a long time. You can tell they all buy into the system. That being said, Finland is missing Barkov..Koivu...Filppula, that is their 3 best players. If it was only Koivu then fine but like I said, that is their 3 best players; Finland had no business winning today.

Finland has become one of my favourite teams to watch internationally (except the WJCs cause they knocked Canada out), their program is truly flourishing.

SWE-FIN AND CAN-USA! I can't wait, two of the best rivalries in Hockey.

I wouldn't call Barkov one of their three best players yet

NorthernILHawksFan

Feb 14, 2010
IL
Who was the original source for this "Malkin told the coach to pull goalie" thing? Is that source any good?

Dan Rosen, writer for NHL.com.

@drosennhl 13h

Malkin had to tell Bilyaletdinov to get Bobrovsky off the ice. Malkin had to tell the coach. I repeat, Malkin had to tell the coach.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Pulling your goalie to the tie the game doesn't really work too many times over the course of a season but it's funny because it creates some of the most perfect moments in the playoffs, WJC's and even 2010's Olympic games when Parise scored.

I guess pulling your goalie only works when the desperation to score is at a higher level.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Finland Hockey:

1. Pegged as being on the downswing
2. Half the team gets hurt before the tournament
3. Get counted out further
4. Play for a medal

They do what they do, but now need to finish the job this time. Kimmo's always getting gold stars instead of gold medals.

Don't forget their replacement first line center and one of their best players Barkov getting hurt in their third game and knocked out for the rest of the Olympics.

And probably the rest of the NHL season. This is the life of a Panther fan.

sibiriak

Feb 19, 2014
Dan Rosen, writer for NHL.com.

@drosennhl 13h

Malkin had to tell Bilyaletdinov to get Bobrovsky off the ice. Malkin had to tell the coach. I repeat, Malkin had to tell the coach.
And how did Rosen know what happened? He couldn't have heard it himself (even if he speaks Russian which I doubt) as he wasn't on or between benches.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Are there still Finns that say Aaltonen sucks? Show yourself!

I will apologize for bashing Ruutu. He's still not fast but he has played well to my surprise.

I don't think he sucks and mad props and love to him for the goal, but I still wouldn't have picked him to the team.. I fully know what he's capable of it's just that he's so damn inconsistent and when he doesn't dipsy doodle through everyone he just dipsy doodles and turns the puck over

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Are there still Finns that say Aaltonen sucks? Show yourself!

I will apologize for bashing Ruutu. He's still not fast but he has played well to my surprise.

There's really no one to bash. I've been very happy with everyone's effort. There was some horrible mistakes against Austria but after that the whole team's been surprisingly solid.

Have to admit that before the games I thought that Ruutu was done too, and his game didn't look good against Austria. After that he's filled his spot very well. Interesting to see if "Ruutu magic" continues. For those of you that don't know already, Finland has always medaled in international tournaments with Ruutu on the team. He already has 10 medals.

Jaan

May 10, 2013

It's a russian/soviet thing. They usually only pull their goalie with few seconds left, if even then. Guess they (the old school coaches) prefer likely losing a close game, over going all-in to get the game tied, and possibly losing by a wider margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad