Quarter Season Update...Rank the Canadian Teams

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Toronto off to a better start but when it comes down to it, the first 20 games of the season don't matter as long as you don't play yourselves out of the playoff picture.

There is a lot of hockey to play, Jets and Leafs will for sure make the playoffs and looks like the Flames will as well, re-assess the picture closer to playoff time and you will have a good idea of who the best team is. Toronto will get Matthews and likely Nylander back, which is a huge boost, though I suspect Andersen's save percentage to fall a little bit. Jets haven't been getting great goaltending out of Hellebuyck but have managed to stay pretty healthy, which can and likely will change.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
And Toronto's last loses were to:

Columbus, Boston, Dallas, Carolina, and Calgary, who are mostly higher standing playoff teams. Since edging out Winnipeg on Nov 27, Toronto's only win against a team that was in the playoffs were Columbus, SJ, and Montreal (in OT).

Toronto has had a very easy schedule thus far and have yet to face the top 2 teams in the East, Tampa and Buffalo, or the top 3 teams in the West, Minnesota, Nashville, and Colorado. Toronto lost both of its games against the #4 seeds in each conference, Boston and Calgary....so if you really want to break things down, Toronto hasn't really been tested yet.

News flash, it's easier to play well against worse teams.

Winnipeg has only won two games against playoff teams this year....two, the Leafs have 7 one is vegas which shouldn't even count but they also have two wins against Winnipeg with Nylander not playing and Matthews out 5/6 periods they played.

It is easier to score against worse teams...doesn't change the fact that it's a bit alarming when the majority of your goals come from weak teams.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Consider the fact that the leafs got kicked out in the first round and Winnipeg made the conference finals while also beating Nashville it should be obvious who is better. Regular season matchups are great but playoffs mean more or else u can argue Flames are better than both teams since we beat them. Leafs fans saying they are better than the Jets cause of 2 regular season games have such a short memory. I remember them saying they were easily going to beat Boston in round 1 because they swept them or something in the regular season. We all know how that turned out.
Oh honey, if you read the thread title it says quarter season update which implies this season. But if we're using last year for some reason as reasoning than it's

Winnipeg
Toronto

Who cares, all other teams sucked and missed the playoffs.

"playoffs matter more than regular season (which the flames missed) but the flames beat both Toronto and Winnipeg (in the regular season) so they're the best". Lol

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I would have Toronto, Calgary and Winnipeg all tied up at #1.

Toronto/Calgary/Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa
Edmonton
Vancouver

I have my list similar to this

Toronto/Calgary/Winnipeg
Montreal
Edmonton
Vancouver
Ottawa

I had Toronto and Winnipeg in the same tier to start the season but how about those Flames!!!

Reactions: Dan403

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
(Toronto) also lost a bunch of key pieces and their defense other than Rielly has been bad.

What is it like having no sense of shame whatsoever?

If there was a trade boards thread last year offering JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Martin, Carrick, and Polak for Tavares you would have been the first person in the thread going LOLEAFSFANSLOL

Reactions: Max Money

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018
I think the rankings have shuffled a bit since the start of the season. Let's try this again. Mostly I think Edmonton has fallen below expectations and Calgary has exceeded them - but let's see what the consensus is.

1. Toronto

2. Calgary
3. Winnipeg

4. Montreal

5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa (but they are doing well considering everything).

Edmonton basically always falls short of expectations. It's practically automatic at this point. It's impossible for them not to with the ridiculously inflated expectations people have had of them over the years.

Reactions: Dan403

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Montreal isn't a good team. We're overachieving and will fall back to earth soon.
their collection of players isn't amazing, but they are playing well as a team. Kinda like Vegas last year. We'll see what happens, but they are pretty good right now

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The whole Toronto team has slowed down since those first 10 games or so. Matthews, before being injured was pointless in 4 games.
yes, Toronto did not keep up their 114 point pace after their first 10 games. now they are down to a 105 point pace without Matthews and Nylander. what a terrible team

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
I think it is pretty fair to say that some combination of Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary are at the top of the list in some order. I would tend to put it Toronto -> Winnipeg -> Calgary, but I doubt it is possible to give an order with any confidence.

I'd go

Toronto
Winnipeg
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Not at all a Leafs fan, but I am impressed by how they are doing without both Mathews and Nylander. So I rank them as number one to this point in the season. Jet’s defensive play and blowing third period leads will cause me to rank them below Calgary if they keep it up. At times, the Jets look like world beaters, and then fall to pieces. Often in the same game. Something is off with them.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Winnipeg has only won two games against playoff teams this year....two, the Leafs have 7 one is vegas which shouldn't even count but they also have two wins against Winnipeg with Nylander not playing and Matthews out 5/6 periods they played.

It is easier to score against worse teams...doesn't change the fact that it's a bit alarming when the majority of your goals come from weak teams.

I guess Calgary is the only one winning against top team then......maybe they are the best :popcorn:

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
TO/WPG - definitely at the top, WPG a bit more playoff success but TO looks great this year
CGY - after a bit of a shaky start finally getting some good tending and should be a playoff lock
MTL/EDM - I think these teams will finish with similar records
VAN/OTT - bottom 5 finishers more than likely

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
For the Leafs to be 16-8-0 without Matthews/Nylander speaks to the depth of the team which imo is the best of all Canadian based teams, I’d rank the Jets and Flames 2 and 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad