Quarter Season Update...Rank the Canadian Teams

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 12.43.41 PM.png

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Which Canadian Team do you guys think has the best chance at breaking the 25 year cup drought?

IMO Best chance to snap the drought..
  1. Winnipeg: Fast, Big & Talented. Hungry and solid playoff experience.
  2. Calgary: Firing on all cylinders. Talented forwards & defence.
  3. Toronto: Excellent firepower, but little playoff experience.
  4. Edmonton: Best player on the planet, playing very well under Hitch.
  5. Vancouver: New core starting to emerge, could be a powerhouse in a couple years.
  6. Ottawa/Montreal: some nice rookies & prospects, could be on the rise soon.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yeah it's Jets/Leafs then flames right below them. The Jets are the Jets and there's no possible way to discredit the team with the second best record and goal differential.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Leafs - Literally they have the best chance this season, that being said if the cap only goes up up to 80m oh boi. They have 9m in cap space this season and they need to add rentals to that backend for a serious cup run. Andersen is actually ridiculous but he needs more support. This season will be their best chance and they need to go all in.
Jets - Same issue as above, though you have enough really good guys upfront locked up for cheap. So even if you re-sign Trouba, Connor and Laine for all the cap space, you have enough good pieces to still be scary. Honestly the jets are flying under the radar right now, but might be on par or slightly below the leafs. I think their overall depth is better, but goaltending comes up short just because Andersen is really really good. Handsdown have a better backend, also a better top 6, and top 6. Hellebuyck has been underwhelming. If he was like last season, I'd put jets as favorites and would be there at the top with Nashville (after Tampa off)
Calgary - I think they might be overachieving a bit, especially some of their top guys but they also have some really good young pieces. Goaltending would still be my biggest concern. I think they have a few young guys that are still developing (21 yr olds) and will take time but those will be good pieces to work with going forward.
Edmonton - McDavid can't do it all obviously, but man oh man is Hitchcock a good coach. Also, I don't think anyone thought he would fit well with the group the Oilers have but it's somehow working. That being said, they have holes. And quite a few of them. They also have the best player on the planet to build around, coach is a good start going forward.
Canucks - My team.. yay......
Really good, young pieces in and out of the system. I think people thought Pettersson was going to be good, but I don't think anyone knew he would be this good. He's completely changed the rebuild. That being said, top level talent is looking good in Petey, Horvat, boeser and soon to be Hughes. Need consistent top 6 wingers (but I guess that's why they are taking their time with Goldy and dahlen). Need a starter, never know with AHL numbers but Demko looks great down there. Depending on a top pick and what they can do with that backend, might be able to turnaround quickly but again ..still quite a few holes.
Montreal - some really nice rookies, obviously should be in the start of their rebuild...but uh idk what's happening there. Im only putting them as worse than the Canucks because I think they need to rebuild.
Ottawa - A f***ing shitshow. Unfortunate cause they have nice pieces but man oh man, they took a heavy turn. And that first round pick going to Colorado is just an icing on the cake. I feel for sens fans but it's gonna get worse before it gets better so just be patient.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Which Canadian Team do you guys think has the best chance at breaking the 25 year cup drought?

IMO Best chance to snap the drought..
  1. Winnipeg: Fast, Big & Talented. Hungry and solid playoff experience.
  2. Calgary: Firing on all cylinders. Talented forwards & defence.
  3. Toronto: Excellent firepower, but little playoff experience.
  4. Edmonton: Best player on the planet, playing very well under Hitch.
  5. Vancouver: New core starting to emerge, could be a powerhouse in a couple years.
  6. Ottawa/Montreal: some nice rookies & prospects, could be on the rise soon.
Over the last 9 seasons, the Flames roster has played 2 more playoff games than the Leafs roster (same amount of playoff games won in that span at 5). Seems odd that playoff experience would be a negative for the Leafs and not the Flames.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
My only issue is people calling Calgary lucky for all their comeback wins when realistically, they are outplaying almost all of the teams they play and usually having to comeback because of way below average goaltending.

Then they’ll argue that our shooting percentages will normalize but that our goaltending definitely won’t lol

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Over the last 9 seasons, the Flames roster has played 2 more playoff games than the Leafs roster (same amount of playoff games won in that span at 5). Seems odd that playoff experience would be a negative for the Leafs and not the Flames.

Who on the Leafs, and Flames for that matter was playing for them 9 years ago?
What a weird timeframe to use anyway.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
LOL. Toronto has 4 more point and 2 games in hand on Winnipeg. Don't know how that puts them into an entirely different tier.

Winnipeg/Toronto
Calgary

Montreal

The rest.
Could have something to do with missing 2/3s of our first line for most of the season?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Does counting only last year work better for you?

Works a hell of a lot better than 9 years, but it isn't the most accurate way to figure out which team has more overall playoff experience. I couldn't even tell you who has more. But talking about 9 years ago, when Im pretty sure Mark Giordano is the only current player on either team to still be there, is just silly.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Leafs - Literally they have the best chance this season, that being said if the cap only goes up up to 80m oh boi. They have 9m in cap space this season and they need to add rentals to that backend for a serious cup run. Andersen is actually ridiculous but he needs more support. This season will be their best chance and they need to go all in.
Jets - Same issue as above, though you have enough really good guys upfront locked up for cheap. So even if you re-sign Trouba, Connor and Laine for all the cap space, you have enough good pieces to still be scary. Honestly the jets are flying under the radar right now, but might be on par or slightly below the leafs. I think their overall depth is better, but goaltending comes up short just because Andersen is really really good. Handsdown have a better backend, also a better top 6, and top 6. Hellebuyck has been underwhelming. If he was like last season, I'd put jets as favorites and would be there at the top with Nashville (after Tampa off)
Calgary - I think they might be overachieving a bit, especially some of their top guys but they also have some really good young pieces. Goaltending would still be my biggest concern. I think they have a few young guys that are still developing (21 yr olds) and will take time but those will be good pieces to work with going forward.
Edmonton - McDavid can't do it all obviously, but man oh man is Hitchcock a good coach. Also, I don't think anyone thought he would fit well with the group the Oilers have but it's somehow working. That being said, they have holes. And quite a few of them. They also have the best player on the planet to build around, coach is a good start going forward.
Canucks - My team.. yay......
Really good, young pieces in and out of the system. I think people thought Pettersson was going to be good, but I don't think anyone knew he would be this good. He's completely changed the rebuild. That being said, top level talent is looking good in Petey, Horvat, boeser and soon to be Hughes. Need consistent top 6 wingers (but I guess that's why they are taking their time with Goldy and dahlen). Need a starter, never know with AHL numbers but Demko looks great down there. Depending on a top pick and what they can do with that backend, might be able to turnaround quickly but again ..still quite a few holes.
Montreal - some really nice rookies, obviously should be in the start of their rebuild...but uh idk what's happening there. Im only putting them as worse than the Canucks because I think they need to rebuild.
Ottawa - A ****ing ****show. Unfortunate cause they have nice pieces but man oh man, they took a heavy turn. And that first round pick going to Colorado is just an icing on the cake. I feel for sens fans but it's gonna get worse before it gets better so just be patient.

Why do you say the bolded? The Leafs are a fairly young team. Do you think they'll need to shed players for cap reasons next season?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews did not miss most of the season. Nylander has not consistently been your #1 lw.
ROFL. You're right. He is always Matthews RW. Matthews missed 14 games, Nylander like 33. They make 2/3 of our first line so of course you are wrong.

Do you feel like you are making a strong point?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Winnipeg - Just a really solid top to bottom deep team with a lot of excellent pieces. Has the goaltending figured itself out.
Toronto - They're a great unknown to me, great scoring depth, I look at that blueline as their big question mark, very good goaltending. How does this team react to the more physical grinding nature of the playoffs?
Calgary - A good deep team with lots of good young pieces, Goaltending wise Rittich has been excellent, Mike Smith not so much. I don't know if they're a true contender this year, but its a team that could surprise other teams, but need that playoff salting
Montreal - I don't think they're a contender but they have nice pieces.
Edmonton - Hitch has done a nice job with a team without a lot of depth or talent on the wings, Klefbom going down makes a weak looking blueline weaker. Koskinen (Sp?) has been lights out over the last 10 games. But I think they're a bit of a smoke and mirrors team
Vancouver - Good young pieces but probably a couple of years away from taking that next step up the ladder
Ottawa - Ugh

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Why do you say the bolded? The Leafs are a fairly young team. Do you think they'll need to shed players for cap reasons next season?
I don't think they're re-signing depth. Unless guys like Gardiner and Kapanen take a cut. I think they're going to have to force young players into the league, either way..logically speaking.. they have cap space rn that can be used for rentals, which isn't an option going forward

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
ROFL. You're right. He is always Matthews RW. Matthews missed 14 games, Nylander like 33. They make 2/3 of our first line so of course you are wrong.

Do you feel like you are making a strong point?
Except that Matthews did not miss half the season 14 games is less than half . Half of 32 is 16. Nylander does not spend all of his ice time with Matthews. He also spends time with kadri.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Except that Matthews did not miss half the season 14 games is less than half . Half of 32 is 16. Nylander does not spend all of his ice time with Matthews. He also spends time with kadri.

As of last week it was half. You are splitting hairs, out best player, the best player on most teams, was gone for a large chunk of our season so far and we kept on rolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad