GDT: Quarter Final: Russia Vs Switzerland | 6:30AM EST 12:30PM CET | RUS 3 - 1 SUI

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
QF1.jpg

Full Tournament Schedule: IIHF - Schedule and Results 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship
Game Info: Game Summary

full

Russia
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
MIFTAKHOV Amir (G)
ISAYEV Danil (G)
ASKAROV Yaroslav (G)

Defensemen:
ZHURAVLYOV Danil (D)
GALENYUK Danila (D)
ZAMULA Yegor (D)
MALYSHEV Anton (D)
PYLENKOV Danil (D)
ROMANOV Alexander (D)

Forwards:
KHOVANOV Alexander (F)
MOROZOV Ivan (F)
MARCHENKO Kirill (F)
VORONKOV Dmitri (F)
PODKOLZIN Vasili (F)
SOKOLOV Yegor (F)
DENISENKO Grigori (F)
SORKIN Maxim (F)
RTISHEV Nikita (F)
ALEXANDROV Nikita (F)
DOROFEYEV Pavel (F)
GROSHEV Maxim (F)

Scratched:

full

Switzerland
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
CHARLIN Stephane(G)
SCHMID Akira (G)
HOLLENSTEIN Luca (G)

Defensemen:
GUGGENHEIM Bastian (D)
MOSER Janis (D)
HENAUER Mika (D)
PEZZULLO Rocco (D)
GROSS Nico (D)
BERNI Tim (D)
AEBISCHER David (D)

Forwards:
GERBER Jeremi (F)
BERRI Fabian (F)
PATRY Stephane (F)
VERBOON Matthew (F)
SCHMID Sandro (F)
KNAK Simon (F)
NUSSBAUMER Valentin (F)
JOBIN Gaetan (F)
METTLER Julian (F)
SALZGEBER Joel (F)
SOPA Kyen (F)
KOHLER Gilian (F)
WETTER Gian-Marco (F)

Scratched:

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sadly, Paterlini is probably boneheaded enough to start Hollenstein again and with Hollenstein in goal, we have almost zero chance of winning this one. He's a good goalie but not as talented as the other two and hasn't looked comfortable all tournament long. He normally could and should do much better but at this point he's not good enough to win a game against Russia. 86,15% saves tell you everything you need to know. Only Nurek's numbers are worse but as we all know he was much better. Hollenstein's support wasn't always much better than Nurek's but still...he just hasn't been even close from good enough.

To win this one, we probably need both Salzgeber and Gross back at 100% and either Charlin or Schmid in goal. I don't think any of it is gonna happen but I'm still happy with this tournament. Before it started, not many (besides me) believed that this team was capable of competing the way they did. Offensively they have been excellent all tournament long...even without elite talent and with Gross banged up/injured. Defensively they were horrible at times, especially for the veteran team they are but against Finnland they proved that they can shut down even good opponents. They were giving up a lot of shots and Charlin had to bail them out a few times but in terms of high danger chances they were at least equal to the Fins. Was good to see them finally all (well, almost) play up to their potential.

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Russia are very inconsistent.

Swiss have a goalie problem. Hollenstein is more proven but Charlin got them their best win and looks good back there.

Tough to call this one but leaning towards Russia here.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Go Swiss!!

Realistically though it should be a 2-3 goal margin of victory for Russia, they have a strong team here.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Russia is unpredictable as shown by an awful loss to a poor Czech team and then giving Canada their worst thrashing in the modern era. I felt this was a below average Swiss team coming in but they have proven that wrong with a 2nd place finish. Swiss traditionally play the Russians tough much like traditionally they get smoked by the Swedes. Hoping for a good game.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Swiss have been ramping up all along the tournament.

is say SUI 4:1 RUS

And forecast a silver medal.

If Russia wins, on the other hand .... they have to go to the final.
After all my wife and my children are Swiss - Russian Bi-nationals.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They were a little surprised against the Czechs (who played with a lot of spirit and valour in front of their fans) and may have blown a fair amount of their early desperation in that emotional game against Canada when they faced the US afterwards.

But I don't think Russia takes anyone lightly in the elimination round.

Comfortable win I think.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Switzerland almost always has problems with the Ruskies from U16 to the senior level. The Athletes from Russia have almost no players who are sub six foot while we are a pretty small and diminutive team. Everything has to go right for from goaltending to special teams to luck if we want to pull this of. They will probably underestimate us though, so maybe there is a chance.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Russia are very inconsistent.

Swiss have a goalie problem. Hollenstein is more proven but Charlin got them their best win and looks good back there.

Tough to call this one but leaning towards Russia here.

Honestly, the only problem here is Paterlini who, out of pure stubbornness, is absolutely gonna start Hollenstein again. I can see it coming:help::facepalm:
Overall Paterlini has done a fantastic job but his goalie decisions are more than questionable and I'd be very surprised if he managed to pull his head out of ass and finally stopped starting Hollenstein.

Don't get me wrong...we have three excellent goalies. Whichever he started in game 1...nobody was gonna be upset. It was really a coin flip between the three. Hollenstein may be the most experienced but Schmid is the most talented and the only drafted of the three. Charlin is somewhere between them in both areas but has been standing on his head lately. Was forced to come in cold for his first NLA game after Robert Mayer attempted to murder Marcus Kruger mid game (and somehow only got one game for it). Charlin got the win because he stopped all shots he faced in that game against the defending champions (ZSC Lions), 23 of them in a bit under 30mins. He didn't win the next game, back to back against Bern but he did stop over 30 shots, I believe 31 of 33.

Now I'd have started Charlin in game 1 and gave Schmid a game down the road...Hollenstein would have been my 3rd choice in case one of the two struggled. But no matter who your preferred goalie options were going into the tournament, I don't think we're in a situation where we have to play one of those three through his struggles. Paterlini should have changed goalies after game 1 or even ingame. Hollenstein had his chance. I wrote that in the game day thread, too and I'd have written the exact same thing if it was Charlin or Schmid giving up those soft goals.

Schmid is a fantastic goalie and didn't even get dressed until last game while Hollenstein kept on letting in weak goals. Paterlini isn't doing anybody a favor (not even Hollenstein himself) by being stubborn and playing Hollenstein through everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They will probably underestimate us though, so maybe there is a chance.

After beating Finland this year and Sweden last year (still almost the same team) I don't like the chances of anyone underestimating this team anymore and with Hollenstein in goal, the loss is pretty much a given. Based on previous performances I don't think we're likely to see Hollenstein play on his usual level. Just not his tournament.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
After beating Finland this year and Sweden last year (still almost the same team) I don't like the chances of anyone underestimating this team anymore and with Hollenstein in goal, the loss is pretty much a given. Based on previous performances I don't think we're likely to see Hollenstein play on his usual level. Just not his tournament.

I am not to sure about that. There are no big name Prospects on this team and Russia beat us pretty easily last year so I could see them taking us lightly. Yes we have beaten Finland, but that was in the cleanup game of the round robin. The knokout stage is a whole other animal; just look at swedens winning streak in the round robin and compare it with the number of medals they won in that time period. I am not saying they will underestimate for sure but thats what happens more often than not when be play against top six nations at this level. I agree with you that I would rather see Charlin than Hollenstein in the quarterfinals, even though I think that he hasn't been quite as bad as you pointed out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am not to sure about that. There are no big name Prospects on this team and Russia beat us pretty easily last year so I could see them taking us lightly. Yes we have beaten Finland, but that was in the cleanup game of the round robin. The knokout stage is a whole other animal; just look at swedens winning streak in the round robin and compare it with the number of medals they won in that time period. I am not saying they will underestimate for sure but thats what happens more often than not when be play against top six nations at this level. I agree with you that I would rather see Charlin than Hollenstein in the quarterfinals, even though I think that he hasn't been quite as bad as you pointed out.

For a goalie with his pro experience he has been very very bad and the stats support that. Since we have three excellent goalies there was no reason to go back to him after game 1 already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad