Qualifying Rounds - Wrestling Draft B [VOTE FOR 8!]

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So many people still have only voted for 1 or 2 cards. :laugh:

The people who haven't voted for 8 cards is definitely effecting the bottom 4 cards right now, as some of them would have more votes. Also, there are votes from some of those people on those cards, which could give a qualifying spot to someone by a vote.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If I can get in an essay...
As it is 13 pages on Words...
There is no excuses for being late.
:laugh:

I cannot decide which eight to vote for though.
There are a couple of no-brainers for me...
But I am iffy on the other ones.
There are some matches that just makes no sense to me...
And would require some explanations.
I can give you an explanation for all my matches. I want the most 5 start matches ever on a single card. :yo:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some general thoughts:

Chris Cutter: I got a laugh out of the handicap match. I enjoy the Neville vs Malenko match a lot. Obviously I am a fan of the Rhodes family match as well. I get the joke of the baby match, but I don’t understand what exactly it is supposed to be. I find that there is a bit of a main event, as I don’t see Rusev as a main event talent (in this context) and I am a bit concerned about Edge vs Roode when both are best in a similar heelish role. I can honestly say that I only know one of the songs you listed.

quoipourquoi: Obviously a very interesting card. Given how strange it is, what with a wrestling bear, I would have taken the low road with Batista vs Morrison. I’m not big on women’s wrestling or lucha libre so there are names that I don’t know, but I have actually looked into videos for some of the female wrestlers. Honestly, this could have used a write up to explain what is going on (specifically the prosecution of Stephanie McMahon). You got my vote because of Guerrero vs Bryan.

OmniSens: I think that Rogers vs Flair could be great, but I want to know what was going on in their feud. Warrior vs HHH just can’t be 60 minutes for me. Warrior is renowned for running out of energy quickly, and even if he didn’t I wouldn’t really want to see him for that long. Tazz vs Sabu makes sense, but it isn’t that good for me because Tazz and Sabu already happened so many times when both were in their respective primes. As a preference I would rather see something new, but at least I know what I’m getting from that match. I really dislike Sheamus, and I really like Fit Finlay, so I would like to see a story or something to tip the scales to the positive.

GongshowWilly: I think that Austin vs Owens is a good feud for both in terms of their characteristics, but I would prefer Austin to be chasing Owens for the title. I never expected Debra to be pulling double duty in an all time ppv. I like the concept of the asylum match, but I’m not sur ethat Snow is on that level. I’m always happy to see La Parka. All of the matches seem reasonable and I would be interested in pretty much each one of them.

HandsomeHollywood: The strength of this show is how accurately it follows the In Your House theme. It feels like it came out of 1996. Very good job that way. I also very much enjoy the two big matches, particularly that you went with original match combinations instead of repeating what has been done. The strength of the card is also its weakness, as the top end talent is appropriate for a high-end edition of In Your House but lower than what is found in some other all time cards. I don’t care for being told winners and losers in matches, but I enjoyed your write up anyway, particularly the Cornette part.

Morozov: I really like the Pillman/Raven pairing. Savage/Punk is also a quality pairing. I really dislike Orton, and I really like Owen, so it would have been nice to have a reason to care about that match and break that tie. I enjoy the “gang warfare†idea as well. DDP and Douglas could be good, but again I would like to have a reason to be interested. It’s always good to see Kanyon too. It’s a nice, full card.

Natey: Great wrestlers involved and opponents are well matched. I like the Penalty Box idea, particularly given the context of the board. I would have liked to know more about the feuds given the quality of the wrestlers involved.

EmperorEddy: Matches are quite good overall, especially Steamboat vs Misawa. Minor thing, but I could have used a bit more contrast in the wrestlers in each match. Almost every match is similar vs similar. I also really enjoy the Express match. I’m not big on Undertaker vs Sting. I know that it was hyped on the internet for a long time, but neither of them was the guy to lead a match or take the lead in promos. They both generally react to their opponents, so I’m not sure how well it would turn out. I do expect that it will be popular with others though.

Habsrule: I do enjoy the classis battle royale. Roberts vs Rock could be quite good as well. With Rude and Yokozuna, I am curious as to who the heel is… probably Rude I guess. The write ups for Kane/Balor and Lesnar/RVD confused me, but I do like your ambition especially with the first one. I could have used another match on the card.

nameless1: You already used up pretty much all the available words. I respect the ambition, and I like your booking with the factions. The matches make sense, which is impressive given the scale. The size of the card is a negative, as I really wouldn’t want to spend so much time watching the card, but the quality involved compensates for it for now.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Honestly, this could have used a write up to explain what is going on (specifically the prosecution of Stephanie McMahon).

I actually had one during the draft itself. You're right that I should have carried it over!

Even if this is the end for me, I trust my DVD sales will result in a third Terrible Ted PPV down the road!

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I can give you an explanation for all my matches. I want the most 5 start matches ever on a single card. :yo:

I am fine with yours.
It is pretty self-explanatory.

The one I am most confused about is that legal prosecution affair in quoipourquoi's card.
Veda Scott actually has a law degree in real life...
But what is it?
Is it a match...
Or just a segment?

Now...
I will admit that I am intrigued...
But it really needs an explanation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have the same question but I also don't know if that means I'm supposed to watch the show and find out.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Yeah I wasn't sure what it exactly was either. It sounded interesting though.

What would be the Observor scoop on rumors for this "match"?

At one point, I was going to draft the Hangin' Judge to oversee the proceedings.

01.jpg

Ultimately, I did want to leave it mostly to the imagination (on the poster, I use a screencap of Stephanie at the Eric Bischoff trial). It was about finally bringing Stephanie McMahon to a non-WWE event so she could get judged for stepping all over both good guys and bad guys without the fear of on-screen or backstage comeuppance - and really making the WWE less enjoyable overall.

Plus Wrestlers Court was always a fascinating element of wrestling history to me, and something that I really wanted to incorporate into the draft, but didn't quite know how. And that's when I thought of Veda Scott.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
AJ Styles vs. Kenta Kobashi

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Chris Jericho

Incredible double main event. Styles and Jericho with their respective histories in Japan are the perfect North American wrestlers for this role.

Kairi Hojo vs. Io Shirai vs. Mayu Iwatani

Well. Someone's a Stardom fan. I'll probably need some oxygen after these three matches close the show!

Tye Dillinger vs. Alex Wright vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Tyler Breeze

Haha, nice!

Christian vs. Sami Zayn

Crazy stipulation, but one that guarantees no shenanigans and would make for some dramatic near falls. Plus a perfect opportunity for Christian to play up the drama of wanting to cheat but knowing he needs to pick his spots out of fear of the DQ costing him for two months.

#DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tammasso Ciampa) vs. The Brainbusters (Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson)

That's one of the better tag matches I've seen in these drafts.

The Canadian Ninjas & Emma vs. Kairi Hojo, Io Shirai, & Mayu Iwatani

Those are the right three to pull double duty on the show, and it definitely gives incentive for the Ninjas to team with Emma. Probably be some good reluctant tag action leading to the inevitable yet desired result.

Cesaro vs. Katyusori Shibata

Very good opener and primer for the final two matches.

Doink the Clown vs. The Hurricane

Even the pre-show is on fire.

Drew McIntyre, TJ Perkins, Tyson Kidd, Jimmy Rave, & Justin Gabriel vs. Strike Force (Rick Martel & Tito Santana), The Killer Bees (Jumpin' Jim Brunzell & B. Brian Blair), & Marty Jannetty

Love the theme here. Could have used maybe one young Japanese wrestler because they've been so consistently sprinkled throughout the card.

This might be hard to top. I think it's probably my favorite so far. At least top-2 or 3.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The Undertaker vs. Sting

Instant buy. It's probably the most talked about dream match, so it might not be overly ambitious in this project, but it's been in high demand for 20 years for a reason. Go Sting.

Asuka vs. Manami Toyota

Holy jumpin. You aren't playing around with these top matches. If it wasn't Undertaker and Sting bringing a different element to the table, I'd be worried no one could follow this.

The Elite: Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks vs. The New Day

Did no one pick up on what was going on in the draft and try to stop this man?!

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat vs Mitsuharu Misawa

*quoipourquoi tears up his own match card with seething anger*

Braun Strowman vs Stan Hansen

Aha! I don't like this well-thought out pairing of competitors as much as your four five-star main events! So aha!

Becky Lynch vs Bull Nakano

How on Earth did I let you draft her first...

Rock & Roll Express vs The Midnight Express

Hey, kids, let's take a breather. Here's the greatest tag team rivalry in history. :rant:

El Santo vs Pentagon Jr.

Cero Miedo!!!!!!!

Will Ospreay vs Nigel McGuinness

He opens his show with this. Opens. Do not run head-to-head on Monday nights with him.

Demolition vs The Natural Disasters

Killer Kowalski vs Gorgeous George

This pair of matches could've moved the needle even without the 9 matches on the main card.

Bullet Club: Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, & Tanga Roa with Daffney vs Sanity: Eric Young, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, & Nikki Cross

Daffney is a delight. Bonus points for her.

Would've liked to get more in depth, but I'm running low on time and I hate that you have a better PPV than me.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Rock VS Roberts

This should make for a good one. Rock can take a beating, and Roberts can give him one too. And any time you have two wrestlers and I can visualize the finish-reversal-finish, I'm more into it.

Lesnar VS RVD

I'd rather see the one-on-one Brock/Shamrock match you're teasing us with! But it does clear the way for Rock/Roberts to be the closer it can be. You're respecting your main event, and I like that.

Kane VS Balor in a cage match

Demon on Demon in a cage. Nice.

Rick Rude VS Yokozuna

Rude's arrogance would kinda throw Yokozuna in a good guy role, and I don't know that this is where he's most comfortable.

Lita VS Bayley

Big fan of Lita's. Not sure how well they would mesh.

20 man battle royale

Love the battle royale. Good use of Bruno here.

Order of the matches;

Battle Royale
Lita / Bayley
Rude / Yokozuna
Balor / Kane
Rock / Roberts
Lesnar / RVD

Oh, Lesnar/RVD/Shamrock closes? The crowd might not like an advertised Lesnar/RVD main event where neither takes the fall.

Short but sweet. Could give the battle royale a deserving amount of time too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That was me and it didn't necessarily feel good deciding the vote and didn't realize it was today. A lot of thought goes into it by everybody, and I wish there was another phase to this so that it wouldn't feel like the work was for naught.

The hell in a cell would be decent just to hear how incredulous Bryan Alvarez would be about the whole thing. I marked for the triple threat women's no DQ iron man, and Guerrero/Danielson would be too good, in terms of match quality, that might be the best 2 or 3 matches anyone's put together. The card itself wasn't 8th out of 8 that I picked.

Warrior/Hunter going 60-minutes i feel would be a pretty slow match and I've never been a huge Warrior guy. Charlotte/Trish was probably the most interesting match for me on that side although I know Ric Flair will make anything good.

I had to reward nameless' creativity and story he put together. I've done the 3-day run and know i can hang with it so that wasn't a minus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad