Qualifying Rounds - Wrestling Draft B [VOTE FOR 8!]

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see the issue with how the cards are presented. If someone took weeks picking the wrestlers and preparing whatever they have, they can present it how they want. If reading proves difficult for some reason, a person can skip over it. It also shouldn't matter if it is the qualifying round or any other round. I don't have a problem with collapsible tags, but it makes no sense to eliminate part of the presentation for this round.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Let me first start out by saying I think everyone did an amazing job and I think this is somewhat daunting, but having done soccer drafts with massive writeups I get it. I definitely read pretty much everything you all wrote as well. Also, I'm not as well versed on all things wrestling as many of you are. So that said and along with really cares what I think, don't take any of this the wrong way. Just some of my thoughts on the cards.

In general:

-Too many gimmick matches or stipulations, etc. Some worked for me, others did not. Some cards had way too many though.
-Looking at the picks, and maybe I'm thinking more Group A here, but looking at the picks during the draft I didn't see how some of these would come together. Some of you did an excellent job though and it really looks thought out. Very nicely done.

Chris Cutter's card:

-I think the pre-show is entirely unnecessary.
-"Kick the baby" contest is also unnecessary and would almost mean not getting a vote in my book.
-I think Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes/Goldust with Dusty as ref would have been more interesting. Maybe Cody going to "dashing" mode and Dustin going to Goldust afterwards and beating down on Dusty.
-Most of your matches made sense, though a bit of an underwhelming main event.

quoipourquoi's card:

-My problem, but I don't even know who is in your main event.
-I could see shuffling your opponents a bit. Rey vs Eddie in the Hell in a Cell would be interesting to me personally.

OMNISENS' card:

-Most of your matches made sense to me and I'm a bit perplexed you're not getting more credit for your card.
-Not sure HHH vs Warrior even needs to be a specialty match. 60 minutes is too long either way. I can't stand the Ultimate Warrior, but I could see this match being your main event really.
-I'd move Razor vs del Rio up the card some.
-I like your team on commentary.

GONGSHOWWILLY's card:

-Wow, a lot to like here with some excellent matches.
-I like your commentary team.
-I would take Debra out of the Main Event if you're going to have her in two matches.
-I'd split the TLC match into two matches. Jeff Hardy vs Shane in the TLC match and the other two in maybe a #1 contenders match.
-Tag Team title match is possibly the most interesting to me. Two of the very best ever (the Bulldogs are underrated on most lists I've seen).

HANDSOMEHOLLYWOOD's card:

-I get your two top matches not going for the obvious, but I'd probably go that way anyway.

Morozov's card:

-Well I have to hand it to you, a lot to like here starting with the name of the event. Haha, Chiraq is great and you've got some matches to go with that theme.
-Not sure you need MCMG in that tag match, but it doesn't kill it either.
-DDP vs Douglas should be moved up the card if you ask me.
-I get Saturn not being in the Flock, but don't get him with Pillman.
-IMO you don't use guys' best personas. Should have had Kidman and X-Pac instead of the other two if you ask me.
-I could see some mixing things up here. Orton, tagged the "legend killer" as you did, vs Savage. Punk vs... DDP and then Owen vs Douglas. Not saying it'd be better mind you.
-So many matches that make sense. Nicely done.

Natey's card:

-Pre-show is unnecessary for me. Old School vs New School match seems a bit like filler.
-Penalty Box match is a great idea.
-I'd move the women's match at least two spots down the card.
-I like that you included #1 Contender's matches, but perhaps too many?

EmperorEddy's card:

-For me personally your card is a real mixed bag.
-Main Event is probably the best in this group by a ways.
-I'd definitely move the women's match down at least two spots.
-Like the tag team match, but unsure how the titles would work here. Also, if Bullet Club has taken over they're feuding with New Day?
-Retirement match is a great idea as someone else noted. Final match for two great teams. Better yet this would have been the tag team title match. Imagine the loser losing the belts along with having to retire.
-Pre-show does little for me. I can't stand either The Natural Disasters or Demolition. IMO Demolition are the most overrated tag team of all time. However that Bullet Club vs Sanity match isn't bad and I'd have just put it on the card.

HABSRULE's card:

-Hmmm. A lot to work with here, but I'd have shuffled the deck.
-I don't understand how the Lesnar-RVD match works. Feel like something is mis-explained there.
-Jake vs Kane would have been kinda cool. Damien actually bites Kane and then Jake hits the DDT?
-Then maybe Lesnar vs Yokozuna. Could Lesnar F5 Yokozuna?
-The Rock vs Rude.
-Balor vs RVD.
-Lita and Rude are together and make a rated R scene in the middle of the ring. Rock comes out and shames her.
-Kane-Balor is probably the match I'd keep. Just don't like the finish, but very interesting otherwise and very well thought out.

nameless1's card:

-All I can say is TLDR. Seriously though...
-The weekend?
-A bit confusing. Factions should have been spelled out at the very beginning.
-Some matches are great, others a bit too much.
-Too big a roster with too many matches.
-I love that there are factions and they seem to make some sense.
-I think you should have gone after the Wyatt/IRS angle a bit more.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Well I can tell from the votes that my card is the worst of the bunch. I am fine by that though as I know I have a lot less knowledge than others in this draft. I am pretty much just WWF/E knowledge. I have looked other wrestlers up and have an absolutely killer idea for the next draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well I can tell from the votes that my card is the worst of the bunch. I am fine by that though as I know I have a lot less knowledge than others in this draft. I am pretty much just WWF/E knowledge. I have looked other wrestlers up and have an absolutely killer idea for the next draft.

Definitely not worse of the bunch. All the cards are really good to the point that I think a lot of the votes simply come down to personal preference.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Like emperoreddy said....hell, my personal fav (omnisens) is right there with ya

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Like emperoreddy said....hell, my personal fav (omnisens) is right there with ya

"Personal" sums it up really. Like I said a week or so back, this sort of draft is IMO far more subjective than say a traditional sport draft. There are guys that are really popular that I can't stand and other guys that I love that weren't even drafted (in Group A anyway).

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Well that makes me feel a bit better. I am actually quite proud of my twenty man Battle Royale of wrestlers from the 60's and 70's era. It is a match that could have been possible but was never done. Lots of former star power in there.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well that makes me feel a bit better. I am actually quite proud of my twenty man Battle Royale of wrestlers from the 60's and 70's era. It is a match that could have been possible but was never done. Lots of former star power in there.

I'll also add this. I know had I been able to put together a card I really liked and wanted, and I think I would have been able to, that no matter how great it was it would never get the votes other cards do. I think there's a lot to be said for putting together a card you like. For me it'd be about taking what I know and making it better than it was in real life if that makes sense.

Yeah, an impressive list for that Battle Royale. A lot of big names from a while back.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Natey's card:

-Pre-show is unnecessary for me. Old School vs New School match seems a bit like filler.
-Penalty Box match is a great idea.
-I'd move the women's match at least two spots down the card.
-I like that you included #1 Contender's matches, but perhaps too many?
Like I said earlier - the pre show matches were mostly for me. They are all guys I really like that I had no place for on a main card because they're just not big enough draws (except maybe Martel), but I wanted them to be a part of my show because they're some of my favourites. The pre-show shouldn't make or break a card - you don't need to tune in. :P

I originally had Hurricane vs Doink as a "filler" match to give the crowd a chance to catch their breath, but I realized how funny the match would likely be, so it wouldn't really give the crowd a break so I moved it to the pre-show so it didn't kill the main card's mood which is insanely high workrate.

How can I possibly move the Women's match down? First of all - I see Women's wrestling as important so having it third match from the end feels good to me. Secondly, all three women in the Women's Championship match are wrestling earlier in the show (Match 2 of 8). I put the match up 6th, and you're saying to move it down to 3rd or 4th? So they women get no break after their tag match and don't get to give it their all in a match to crown the first champion? Seems silly to me. Putting the match where it is gives the women a solid little break and also gives the crowd enough of a break from them that they'll pop for the entrances/match again. Putting it on directly following the tag match and having the women out there for 45+ minutes seems like overkill to me.

Thanks for the props on a the Penalty Box match. I thought it fit here quite nicely. :D

As far as the #1 contender's matches - one of those matches is happening on this show (Women's Match), so they're would only be one #1 contender following the show (Cesaro or Shibata). I'm also a fan of every single match on the card meaning something, whether it's a match with a long feud behind it or a just a competitive match with something on the line.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
My problem with your card is that you told me all the winners. So I've seen the show now. I have no reason to "want" to watch it. Add in that I legit hate RVD. And I don't like Jake Roberts or Lesnar, and we are where we are. I love your Battle Royale, but having Sammartino win just directly cut me off of imagining anything awesome happening.

I'd suggest not putting in winners next time and wait until you're eliminated or until you win before telling us your plans for the show.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My problem with your card is that you told me all the winners. So I've seen the show now. I have no reason to "want" to watch it. Add in that I legit hate RVD. And I don't like Jake Roberts or Lesnar, and we are where we are. I love your Battle Royale, but having Sammartino win just directly cut me off of imagining anything awesome happening.

I'd suggest not putting in winners next time and wait until you're eliminated or until you win before telling us your plans for the show.

This is a good point. Putting down winners is very risky because the results might turn people off.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
"Personal" sums it up really. Like I said a week or so back, this sort of draft is IMO far more subjective than say a traditional sport draft. There are guys that are really popular that I can't stand and other guys that I love that weren't even drafted (in Group A anyway).

It's a big part of what makes this game fun and interesting. The traditional sports draft the type of criteria you're aiming for is much clearer, here the criteria varies from person to person and it makes sense given the subject matter because people's idea of the "best" wrestling or wrestlers or show can vary a lot and nobody is really right or wrong. The power of personal preference is much greater here than in sport and that's all part of the game when you try make your card.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I don't have a problem with anyone voting for fewer than 8....its like voting for your local school committee where you can vote for up to whatever number, but don't HAVE TO. I did vote for 8, though it took me a while to figure out that there were 10 cards instead of 11.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Is there anyway my poster could be included with my card? I didn't realize we were PMing our promotional materials too, so it's kinda buried on Page 2 away from my card. I photoshopped Rey Mysterio doing a moonsault off the Cabrillo National Monument and everything.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
It's not really like that because in this case you do have to, that's the stipulation outlined, so every vote should be adhering to that criteria.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't have a problem with anyone voting for fewer than 8....its like voting for your local school committee where you can vote for up to whatever number, but don't HAVE TO. I did vote for 8, though it took me a while to figure out that there were 10 cards instead of 11.
I don't think it's right to not vote for 8. That's like voting for both cards in the knockout round lol

I'm not sure if it's helped me or not... But anyone who hasn't voted for 7 or 8 should be removed.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Shouldve been yer main event IMO. Funny how that works. The vote count does not faily do your card justice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Since the purpose of this vote is to eliminate two cards, not voting for 8 could really muddle the results. It would be very difficult to tell the middle of the pack cards from the bottom cards if people only voted 2-3 cards. This also prevents strategic voting to a degree.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Next year we should make a rule stating "card only". Results/posters/recaps/pictures will not be allowed.

For example - i love the work of the action figure card, but it takes away from the actual card. The card itself is solid.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Next year we should make a rule stating "card only". Results/posters/recaps/pictures will not be allowed.

For example - i love the work of the action figure card, but it takes away from the actual card. The card itself is solid.

Couldn't agree more. I give props for the effort, but the card is all that matters.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I retract my earlier statement about less than 8, because the replies do make much more sense than what I said.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm sorry if I screwed up the voting for everyone. I didn't know I needed to vote for all 8.

It's really hard to read/focus on all of them and make those choices. I figured by voting for the 4 I felt I liked, I wasn't hurting the issue. If you want to take off my votes, that's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad