Qualifying offers

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
There's no way Chen accept it. He's coming of two very good season. He's good.

Davis won't be back as O's. They probably goes after Upton, Park, Span and Fister.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Don't get your hopes up
Ebeneezer Scrooge Angelos spends money rarely. Still think the contract of Jones is a waste at the end of the day. He's not going to win them a Championship. He's been terrible in the playoffs. Poor plate discipline.

Chen's 2014 had a lot to do with run support versus this year. The only way I think he's back is if he accepts that deal. Would be shocked if they paid him what he wants.

Wieters has been a disappointment at the plate. Great defender but I'm not sure you can justify paying out the ass for defense.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So no QO for Denard Span. Hmmm.

But someone may offer him 2-3 years @ 10-12 M per...if he declines the QO, that would be what he is gambling on.

if he expected a 2x10 offer he should take the 15.8. He would only need to earn 4.2 the following year to make more than the 20 million in 2 years. Unless he blows chunks out there he should be able to earn that much in 2017.

3x12 would be a different story, he'd have to be betting on himself to be able to earn a 2x10.1 contract the following year which would depend on how confident he is in himself to play well this year.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
there are a lot of guys worse than rasmus to get two or three year contracts. he can defense and he can kind of hit. he'll end up signing in january or something.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

dc radio thinks based off ladson that they didnt offer since there is mutual like between the two and that he wont go anywhere

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Should be interesting to see what he gets on the market. He rejected $100 mill from the Nats.

Why would you ever turn down a 100M contract? How much more did Desmond think he could realistically get?? Even if he had another great season or two I can't imagine him getting that much bigger of a contract....not very smart from a risk vs. reward perspective.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Murphy would be a fool to take it. This is probably as high as his value will ever be.

Murphy is a strange character. He may see if any contenders offer him a deal, if none do he might take it knowing he has another chance to win and see how the whole Dilson Herrera experiment goes. If he turns out not to be the ML caliber hitter the Mets thought Murphy could get a long term deal from them next winter at that point. Murphy probably only sees 300-350 ABs if he is with the Mets next year, if he can hit 280-300 with 10-15 HRs and 50 or more RBIs in those ABs he will still get paid the same next year, no GM is going to be fooled by his brief playoff run. The list of Murphy suitors much like Cespedes is littered with bad teams. The White Sox are probably the most promising team on that list and I still say their 3-4-5 are not good enough for them to contend anytime soon.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Why would you ever turn down a 100M contract? How much more did Desmond think he could realistically get?? Even if he had another great season or two I can't imagine him getting that much bigger of a contract....not very smart from a risk vs. reward perspective.

Even if he had a similar year to his previous 3 he still wouldn't get much more than $100 mill so yeah it's a mind boggling decision. Whoever advised him should be fired.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Murphy is a strange character. He may see if any contenders offer him a deal, if none do he might take it knowing he has another chance to win and see how the whole Dilson Herrera experiment goes. If he turns out not to be the ML caliber hitter the Mets thought Murphy could get a long term deal from them next winter at that point. Murphy probably only sees 300-350 ABs if he is with the Mets next year, if he can hit 280-300 with 10-15 HRs and 50 or more RBIs in those ABs he will still get paid the same next year, no GM is going to be fooled by his brief playoff run. The list of Murphy suitors much like Cespedes is littered with bad teams. The White Sox are probably the most promising team on that list and I still say their 3-4-5 are not good enough for them to contend anytime soon.

Or he could get injured. He's playing with fire if he takes the qualifying offer.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He saw what Desmond did not taking the big money. Murphy likely won't make the same mistake, especially if his playing time will be less in nym as you suggest.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Or he could get injured. He's playing with fire if he takes the qualifying offer.

Getting injured is not the worst thing. Posting a .225 season with like a .600 OPS is way more dangerous.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Which is exactly why I fully expect Murphy to decline the qo and get a long term deal.

He'll still be a millionaire in 2017 regardless. So maybe he won't get 4 years 60 mill he would get 4/40 million. To me that seems like no difference, but to these guys someone it does seem like one.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If he was to get injured (and obviously depending on the injury) teams may be wary of giving him a 4 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad