News: Qualifying Offers Thread

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Since the Caps have 10 RFAs or so, I presume he's only talking about the ones who were regulars on the team this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I find today is an underrated day for hockey, there is always a few really interesting guys that don't get a QO, whether due to fear of a possible arbitration award or something else. Thanks for doing this caley

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just thought they would have been coming in by now, but since it's just a list of names it's probably gonna be closer til the deadline
Yeah, I think sometimes we don't even hear until the following day for some teams.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I find today is an underrated day for hockey, there is always a few really interesting guys that don't get a QO, whether due to fear of a possible arbitration award or something else. Thanks for doing this caley

Agreed, also could add some intrigue to a very bad FA pool.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed, also could add some intrigue to a very bad FA pool.
I also find it interesting which guys accept their QOs and which borderline NHLers and depth recalls decline and then later sign for a lower NHL salary and higher AHL one.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Well, that explains why today is so quiet on that front.

Someone on our board said it was today and Im just used to it being on a Monday so looked around. A few other Tweets stating same that its Monday.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
weird I thought it was the 25th. well damn

Sunday, June 25

All teams can begin conversations with free agents, though deals cannot officially be signed until July 1.
Deadline for qualifying offers to restricted free agents (5 p.m.).

Monday, June 26

All teams may begin conversations with restricted free agents, though deals cannot officially be signed until July 1.

I'm so confused lol but either way it doesn't really matter it's just an extra day

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
asked this elsewhere but ill ask here.

do teams structure qualifying offers to fringe players with a very low AHL salary to try and work on a later number with a lower NHL # but higher AHL #?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
asked this elsewhere but ill ask here.

do teams structure qualifying offers to fringe players with a very low AHL salary to try and work on a later number with a lower NHL # but higher AHL #?

That happens for sure. I wouldn't describe it as "structuring," because they aren't making a qualifying offer with some odd distribution; they just make a qualifying offer to make sure they retain their rights and then continue to work on a different contract that satisfies both parties. The player can always sign the qualifying offer instead, but qualifying then settling on a different contract is common enough.

I think it's usually the other way around on salary, though. The player wants a higher guaranteed AHL salary (probably a one-way deal), the team will accommodate if the max salary is lower.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yeah, I think sometimes we don't even hear until the following day for some teams.

Like Toronto for instance. We had to qualify one of our RFA goalies before the expansion draft to meet the exposed goalie requirements. That was required 8 days ago. We still have no idea which guy got qualified :laugh:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Both Sparks and Bibeau are RFA until they don't get a qualifying offer(just 1 of them had to be qualifed in advance), both were on the list of players Vegas could pick

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

They're both there. Do you have a link that shows him on the listed as already qualified?

if they both there then they both were qualified. they couldnt have been exposed to expansion draft unless they were qualified

for example

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad