Confirmed with Link: Qualifying Offers - Stuart Percy, Sam Carrick Non-Tendered; Leivo Qualified

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Not surprised to hear Percy and Biggs weren't qualified. Neither has shown much at the NHL level. Or AHL level really. What a terrible draft that was for us.

I think Burke gets to much hate for these picks.

Most people were crying about how we could have had Puempel and Shinkaruk instead. Where are they now?

There are barely any players after Biggs and Percy that became anything special at the present time.

Majority of teams missed out on guys like Saad, Kucherov, Palat. The last two were drafted by the same team. Also, Kucherov was taken during the era where taking Russians was frowned upon because of the KHL factor and transfer agreements. A guy like Burke was not going to touch any Russians early.

Gaudreau would go top 3 in a re-draft, does this mean every team minus Calgary needs to fire their scouting department?

Gibson is another that could become big. We will find out this year with Andersen gone.

Jenner hit the 30 goal mark, so he counts as a miss.

Some other names that could be serviceable but nothing to cry about.

Let us not forget Connor Brown is from that draft class. He may have what it takes to enter Jenner or Palat's tier.

Odds were like 95-5, not in our favour, for 2011 to be a horrible draft. You can count these guys on one hand if you consider the Tampa picks as one since they're picks from the same team. Even the best GM in the league can succumb to these odds let alone Burke

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Most people were crying about how we could have had Puempel and Shinkaruk instead. Where are they now?

There are barely any players after Biggs and Percy that became anything special at the present time.

Majority of teams missed out on guys like Saad, Kucherov, Palat. The last two were drafted by the same team. Also, Kucherov was taken during the era where taking Russians was frowned upon because of the KHL factor and transfer agreements. A guy like Burke was not going to touch any Russians early.

Gaudreau would go top 3 in a re-draft, does this mean every team minus Calgary needs to fire their scouting department?

Gibson is another that could become big. We will find out this year with Andersen gone.

Let us not forget Connor Brown is from that draft class. He may have what it takes to enter Jenner or Palat's tier.

Odds were like 95-5, not in our favour, for 2011 to be a horrible draft. You can count these guys on one hand if you consider the Tampa picks as one since they're picks from the same team. Even the best GM in the league can succumb to these odds let alone Burke

Burke went out of his way to draft Biggs and drafted Percy way too early. He didn't have to trade the 2nd round pick

There were a lot of good options still on the table.

Majority of the teams did miss out on Saad, Jenner and Palat but still doesn't excuse Burke and his boys to go after these type of players.

We did pick Connor Brown, that is a fact then we made that up by picking Gauthier over Shea Theodore

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

The two draft picks we traded to move up were superior to Biggs when they drafted them.....Gibson and Rakell....

Burke drafted horrible.....

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We only had Bibeau and Sparks this year. Not sure we need more than 2 guys.

They've made it pretty clear they don't think Sparks has a future, benching him throughout the AHL playoffs even though he had better numbers than Bibeau.

Very likely that Bernier is gone at some point. Also, Bernier is not a very durable goaltender.

Sparks is just the stop gap third stringer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The 2011 draft set Burkes rebuild back almost as much of the Kessel trade.

Every year a GM gets suckered into drafting the next "Lucic". Biggs had mediocre stats and wasn't a strong skater. He had bust written all over him. Percy was someone who should have gone late 2nd round. Leafs could have walked away with Jenner and Saad.

Unless Burke pushes the Flames to offer Percy a minor league contract I see him heading to Europe somewhere.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
FYI, David Broll was also not offered a contract

That's 4 former Burke Leafs draft in a single day to hit free agency as an RFA. That has to be some kind of a single day record

Carrick
Percy
Biggs
Broll

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
FYI, David Broll was also not offered a contract

That's 4 former Burke Leafs draft in a single day to hit free agency as an RFA. That has to be some kind of a single day record

Carrick
Percy
Biggs
Broll

I doubt it. Probably happens pretty often.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So Leivo was qualified after all, shocker, not really. All the panic and premature angry comments about how dumb it was to not qualify him when we didn't have any information on whether we qualified him or not was dumb. We were obviously going to qualify him.

Little surprised Percy wasn't qualified. Not that I think it's a bad move, I was sorta expecting him to get 1 final chance.

So 42 contracts, 43 when Matthews signs. Also have Brooks, and Walker who are AHL eligible now, and I'd think probably don't go back for their overage junior year but who knows. That would be 45 assuming none of Dermott, Timashov, Nielsen go back for the overage year either, and Marner sticks.

So worse case scenario 5 contracts to work with. Normally that would be very tight, but I don't expect us to sign 5 guys really. Maybe Stamkos, maybe a defenceman, that's all we really need. Our system should have enough depth that we don't need to go out and sign depth guys.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
So Leivo was qualified after all, shocker, not really. All the panic and premature angry comments about how dumb it was to not qualify him when we didn't have any information on whether we qualified him or not was dumb. We were obviously going to qualify him.

Little surprised Percy wasn't qualified. Not that I think it's a bad move, I was sorta expecting him to get 1 final chance.

So 42 contracts, 43 when Matthews signs. Also have Brooks, and Walker who are AHL eligible now, and I'd think probably don't go back for their overage junior year but who knows. That would be 45 assuming none of Dermott, Timashov, Nielsen go back for the overage year either, and Marner sticks.

So worse case scenario 5 contracts to work with. Normally that would be very tight, but I don't expect us to sign 5 guys really. Maybe Stamkos, maybe a defenceman, that's all we really need. Our system should have enough depth that we don't need to go out and sign depth guys.
Maybe Lou can do another 5 for 1

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Happy with what they did. To me it was a toss up between Corrado and Percy who was going to get qualified. I think between the two of them they can fill the same role. I like Percy and hope he gets a legit shot somewhere else.

Very happy the qualified Leivo. It is telling that he is one of the only players left from the era before this new management team came in. He is a big body which they showed they like at the draft, and he also has shown he scores at the NHL level. If it were me I would give the kid a long look at the NHL this year. I have Leivo on the same level as a Connor brown due to his size, elite level shot, and scoring ability. I was hoping they at least traded him if they decided they weren't going to qualify him. I would play Leivo over holland and also over Leipsic, Hyman, and Sosh. Give those last three one more full year in the ahl while they are waiver eligible to progress.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I read that Sparks had a groin injury.

That absolutely makes sense then. He was considerably better than Bibeau the last two years, and Bibeau is still under contract so it isn't like they needed to see his stuff before extending him. Sparks was not too good at the end of the year in the NHL but I haven't written him off. Not every goalie tears it up on their first NHL exposure.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's this. I still like and think he got a raw deal, but had we stayed put we'd be in a terrific spot.

In my opinion he set the Leafs so far back that we had no choice but to start fresh and for that I'm thankful as we now seem to have a plan.

He did so many things poorly.....signing bad players to bad deals and signing average players to huge deals. His trades were just ok when you consider the bad choices he made. He extended Wilson then Fired him....blaming the Media?

He said he was going to build from the net out and he kept bringing in retreads for goalies etc. Anointing Dion as the captain and bragging about how Dion came into the dressing room and changed the music as if that was some great bit of leadership.

Drafting was among the worse we ever had. He created a piss poor enviroment for the players to play in and continuously stated that he was "the best" we do not allow drafted players to wear hats....or our trade deadline is _____. The man was full of himself and created a hostile enviroment with the press and media. I am glad the circus has left town.

He deserved everything he got in my opinion.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site

I'm not certain of your contract numbers (they may well be right - didn't check them) but beyond the fact that he'd played himself onto the bubble, I wonder if Lou treasured that contract space.

I didn't check the number of contracts that you bring up. It may well be what I'd arrive at. However, it seemed like an unusual number of RFAs didn't get offers - maybe due to the upcoming expansion draft. Maybe Lou has his eye on one of the RFAs and/or feels he can easily do better than Percy on the UFA market. Number of contracts and cap space are like oxygen for Lou to be able to make some moves. I suspect # of contracts it was a factor.

buttman*

Saad and Jenner were both rated in the first round.

Percy was rated in the second.

They traded up to get Biggs.

Burke was terrible at drafting. Terrible.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
You really have to believe that the Leafs have a good idea that they can trade some of the players that they Qualified.

Garrett Sparks For exposing him in the expansion Draft
Martin Marincin to resign as an NHL D man.
Peter Holland to trade
Frank Corrado to trade
Connor Carrick to sign as an NHL D man
Joshua Leivo to trade/or sign as a NHL winger.

There has to be a market for these players you would think.

or the leafs need expansion draft fodder.

THIRTEEN

Jun 28, 2016
Prior to the draft, Jenner got extensive media coverage, with respect to his playing ability (played with an edge) and his background. So actually, it was a shock that Burke passed on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad