GDT: Qualifying Offers, Buyout Window, & July 1st Free Agency Discussion Thread

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
According to some clowns on the main boards we're the biggest losers of free agency lmao, apparently signing AHL depth and not adding to our collection of terrible bloated contracts was a huge mistake. The more you know!
Great news since this is arguably the worst free agent class I've ever seen.

Free agency used to be a big to be a big deal when legitimate impact players used to go to the open market.

Now it's mostly washed up players and has-beens or never-was'es.

I think you're winning if you're deemed a loser in free agency these days.

TV Networks are going to have to start reconsidering their all day free agency coverage moving forward.

They just spent an entire weekend teasing the pending signing of Max Domi & Tyler Bertuzzi.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The age argument is the only one that makes sense. Because looking at this line-up, I'd put Belzile in before many of them :

- Pitlick (easy one)
- Armia (what's stopping us from burying him in the AHL?)
- Hoffman (we have more than enough cap space to buy out his contract if no other team wants him)
- Evans (he doesn't bring much on the table honestly, a dime a dozen)
- Pezzetta (perfect 14th forward, but Belzile is a better NHL player)
- Gallagher (but we're stuck with his contract)
- Ylonen (Belzile brings more to the table now, but I understand keeping him up so we don't lose him on waivers)
- Slaf (Belzile also brings more now, but it could change quickly. Slaf can also benefit from having AHL time)

So here are 8 forwards out of 16 that don't deserve to be in the line-up before Belzile. But since we can start the season with 14th forwards, all you need to do is remove 3 of them : 1- Pitlick (AHL)
2- Armia (AHL)
3- Hoffman (buy out) or Evans (waivers) or Slaf (AHL)

But even more likely : 1 or 2 players get injured and you're very happy to have a Belzile to fill the gap.
Hughes said they wanted to bring Belzile back. But, because we already have 15 forwards, plus all the young guys in the system who will be pushing soon (Heineman, Farrell, Roy), Belzile chose to look elsewhere for a better opportunity to get an NHL spot.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
According to some clowns on the main boards we're the biggest losers of free agency lmao, apparently signing AHL depth and not adding to our collection of terrible bloated contracts was a huge mistake. The more you know!
It just goes to show how little fanbases know about other teams intimately. Super easy to look and critique that we didn't sign anyone when we literally have 0 room as it is and need to move guys out.

This free-agent class does stink, however. It won't be favorably looked upon.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Great news since this is arguably the worst free agent class I've ever seen.

Free agency used to be a big to be a big deal when legitimate impact players used to go to the open market.

Now it's mostly washed up players and has-beens or never-was'es.

I think you're winning if you're deemed a loser in free agency these days.

TV Networks are going to have to start reconsidering their all day free agency coverage moving forward.

They just spent an entire weekend teasing the pending signing of Max Domi & Tyler Bertuzzi.
I wonder what has changed. It's only very recently that big names arent available. Every team seems to sign their stars long-term and very early in their careers. I guess it benefits teams that draft these players, but an entertainment perspective, it's kind of boring.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder what has changed. It's only very recently that big names arent available. Every team seems to sign their stars long-term and very early in their careers. I guess it benefits teams that draft these players, but an entertainment perspective, it's kind of boring.
Yeah, teams are locking up their stars long term after their ELCs with more and more frequency...so it removes the prime UFAs from hitting free agency in their prime years.

I expect a market correction at some point where you've got agents encouraging their clients to avoid signing 7-8 year deals after their ELC expires.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hughes said they wanted to bring Belzile back. But, because we already have 15 forwards, plus all the young guys in the system who will be pushing soon (Heineman, Farrell, Roy), Belzile chose to look elsewhere for a better opportunity to get an NHL spot.
I just looked at how many forwards Habs have,somethings gotta give! Laval should be better at least.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I find it interesting that bottom 6 type guys are getting real long term deals, 5-7 for $2.5M-$3M. It's like GMs want to lock in depth players ahead of any salary Cap increases. Islanders have signed a couple like that.

Yes, all these moves were super stupid.

Reactions: yianik

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I watched the post UFA Hughes interview for the first time. A very somber Kent go figure. I actually laughed like hell when he was talking about the Edmundson move now vs the TDL. He had a deal lined up until the team folded and decided not to go for it. It sure as hell sounds like Washington to me. :laugh:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Wideman as a veteran in Laval

Kovacevic #7

Where fine for our Dmen, don’t forget they will be injuries
Injuries, yes. Inevitably, on the first day of camp, there is always some vets that pull a groin or get some other stupid injury, so we will be fine :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They still have 9 slots left for contracts assuming NH is signed.

They just need to drop Armia/Hoffman to laval.

Best case if we are stuck with them is Hoffman and Armia are the 13th and 14th forwards. Still around $8M+ of cap space and what's the big deal with them watching games as injury insurance?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We traded Edmundson and we still kinda have too many D's ready to play in the NHL.

Let's say:
Matheson Barron
Guhle Savard
Arber/Harris Kovacevic

+ Wideman

Reinbacher? :naughty:

It will be interesting if Mailloux and or Reinbacher outplay Barron and Kovacevic (and maybe even Savard). But we can cross that bridge when we come to it...

Marinaro and Grant McCagg, who took in the practice sessions see Mailloux as possibly ready, but Reinbacher as needing to get stronger physically.

Reactions: Belial

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Theyre worthless.

Id rather have a spot for a guy with a future like Comtois.

I would have liked to get Comtois and also Zadina as well. However, I rather not pay a price to move out Hoffman/Armia/Dvorak. Or buyout.

I heard several players wanted Gorton/Hughes to try to sign ROR. You may not like it but I bet you Caufield, Dach, Suzuki, Guhle are fine with a 4th line like Hoffman / Dvorak / Armia.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would have liked to get Comtois and also Zadina as well. However, I rather not pay a price to move out Hoffman/Armia/Dvorak. Or buyout.

I heard several players wanted Gorton/Hughes to try to sign ROR. You may not like it but I bet you Caufield, Dach, Suzuki, Guhle are fine with a 4th line like Hoffman / Dvorak / Armia.
Costs nothing to bury Hoffman.

Reactions: 26Mats

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I know a lot of you were incensed on taking Reinbacher over Michkov but imagine we had Yzerman

Cap f***ing his team on the middest of mid players that ever midded.
He knows what he's doing. He's surrounding his youngsters with leadership vets, just like how he did in Tampa. Those vets will be off the books when Detroit is ready to compete.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
read a few tweets about habs potentially making a hostile offer for K'Andre Miller. Big 6'5 mobile D-man who unfortunately shoots L. Weve got a lot of LHD just none of his size. If he was a RHD, id say go for it

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Richard says he negotiated with the Canadiens during the year. And he could have stayed. But with the amount of young players coming in, he felt he had a better chance at playing in the NHL with the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad