GDT: Qualifying Offers, Buyout Window, & July 1st Free Agency Discussion Thread

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Real quiet about Zadina in here, fancy that. I'd have thought people would be pounding the table for us to claim him.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Real quiet about Zadina in here, fancy that. I'd have thought people would be pounding the table for us to claim him.
It makes perfect sense for us to claim him if we have a deal in place to dump Hoffman or Armia. Farrell, Heinemen or whoever can start in Laval. He had decent numbers the past few years but struggled heavily last season. The reason nobody wants him in a trade is his real dollars are higher than his cap hit next year. It would make more sense to trade Armia for him after he clears waivers though.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Slakovsky - Dach - Newhook
RHP - Monahan - Gallagher
Hoffman - Dvorak -Pezzetta
Evans, Ylonen, Armia, Pitlick

Where are they supposed to fit them? You're throwing a tantrum about 13/14th forward/1st/2nd AHL call ups. Let's take a 31 years old guy over a 27 yo and 26 yo guy just because he speak the French.

If he was in your starting lineup, you deserve 30 years and counting. Probably 30 more.

The age argument is the only one that makes sense. Because looking at this line-up, I'd put Belzile in before many of them :

- Pitlick (easy one)
- Armia (what's stopping us from burying him in the AHL?)
- Hoffman (we have more than enough cap space to buy out his contract if no other team wants him)
- Evans (he doesn't bring much on the table honestly, a dime a dozen)
- Pezzetta (perfect 14th forward, but Belzile is a better NHL player)
- Gallagher (but we're stuck with his contract)
- Ylonen (Belzile brings more to the table now, but I understand keeping him up so we don't lose him on waivers)
- Slaf (Belzile also brings more now, but it could change quickly. Slaf can also benefit from having AHL time)

So here are 8 forwards out of 16 that don't deserve to be in the line-up before Belzile. But since we can start the season with 14th forwards, all you need to do is remove 3 of them : 1- Pitlick (AHL)
2- Armia (AHL)
3- Hoffman (buy out) or Evans (waivers) or Slaf (AHL)

But even more likely : 1 or 2 players get injured and you're very happy to have a Belzile to fill the gap.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It makes perfect sense for us to claim him if we have a deal in place to dump Hoffman or Armia. Farrell, Heinemen or whoever can start in Laval. He had decent numbers the past few years but struggled heavily last season. The reason nobody wants him in a trade is his real dollars are higher than his cap hit next year. It would make more sense to trade Armia for him after he clears waivers though.

Zadina is a shooter who doesn't shoot. Maybe he figures it out that that's all he can do, but it doesn't seem like people are lining up to take that bet.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Or maybe it's not all about the skills at the end of the day?

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying. Volume is more important than shooting talent for scoring goals. Both he and Wahlstrom have lasers, and they don't use them enough.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It makes perfect sense for us to claim him if we have a deal in place to dump Hoffman or Armia.
Still too many forwards even if we dump one of Hoffman or Armia. There's really no place for Zadina if you want to play guys like RHP and Ylonen. There's also Pezzetta.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Zadina is a shooter who doesn't shoot. Maybe he figures it out that that's all he can do, but it doesn't seem like people are lining up to take that bet.
The problem with shooters is that they need to have the ability to find space to shoot from.

Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with Pierre Dagenais' talent.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The problem with shooters is that they need to have the ability to find space to shoot from.

Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with Pierre Dagenais' talent.

Some players have that special talent to always be in the right place at the right time. Still more made a career of just taking more shots. Gallagher as an example.

Reactions: Archijerej

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Zadina’s a perimeter forward - unwilling to go to high danger areas to score & has made no effort to get stronger…. NHL isn’t just about talent

Reactions: dinodebino

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Man wtf Kent Hughes. I left in early may and prices are up 25% despite the Canadian dollar being incredibly strong now. Make a trade to solve this.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
It's strange because even when he was drafted his biggest asset was his sneaky shot and plus finishing from what I remember it was absolutely being described as a high NHL level shot as a junior player but his finishing in the league has been so far below average

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
- I think Dvo could get his trade value up if he produced playing wing with offensive players. And I'd rather our other young offensive wingers play with Suzuki, Dach or Monahan as their C.
- I also see Newhook as too small to play with CC and NS. If it works great. But I'm not counting on it.
- I like Salf with Monahan last year and RHP with Anderson. But I think Slaf could play well with Dach.

Everything will play out as the chemistry on the ice dictates, but I think the following could be a competitive top 12 that helps the youth develop:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dvo (to get Dvo's value up and move him)
Slaf - Dach - Newhook
RHP- Monahan - Anderson
Gally - Evans - Ylonen
Pez
(Pitlick, Hoffman, Armia in Laval)

(could switch Slaf and Anderson so that Salf plays with Money Hands and Anderson - Dach - Newhook is lights out with speed)
I don't like the idea of catering to Dvorak and his potential future trade value by placing him on the wing with Suzuki and Caufield. That duo should get a better winger, not vice versa.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's strange because even when he was drafted his biggest asset was his sneaky shot and plus finishing from what I remember it was absolutely being described as a high NHL level shot as a junior player but his finishing in the league has been so far below average

His shot is still what it is, but he just doesn't use it. When a guy like Gallagher can put up 30 goal seasons, it ain't the shot that's not working for him. He's in his own way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad