Qualified or Won Round???

Leafs beating the BJ's is considered......

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Once the Leafs defeat the BJ's will you consider that the first playoff win since 2004 or will it be considered qualifying and they'll need to win the next series to break the drought?

** I think we all understand the Play In rules. This poll is just looking for the fans perception, nothing more.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Two posts in and two different takes, I'm glad I asked.
I would also include this reason.

If Toronto defeats Columbus it means their 2020 1st round pick automatically goes to Carolina and it will be slotted between 16th - 31st overall, since those are the picks for teams who make the playoffs.

If they lose to Columbus and don't win the 1st overall pick, it will be slotted between 11th-15th overall for Carolina.

Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I would also include this reason.

If Toronto defeats Columbus it means their 2020 1st round pick automatically goes to Carolina and it will be slotted between 16th - 31st overall, since those are the picks for teams who make the playoffs.

If they lose to Columbus and don't win the 1st overall pick, it will be slotted between 11th-15th overall for Carolina.
I think everyone understands the rules. The question is more what are the Leafs fans perception of the win.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
This is HFBoards. The only thing that matters is the opinion of fans of other teams of course. So in saying that, what do you think the answer to this question is? If it's recognition you speak of, there is only one true correct answer.

Reactions: Kazinski

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A bit of both, but ultimately voted for 'qualified'. The situation is better for the draft pick. My hope going into the season was for the team to at least reach the final 8.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once the Leafs defeat the BJ's will you consider that the first playoff win since 2004 or will it be considered qualifying and they'll need to win the next series to break the drought?

If the Leafs don't win the official NHL record will show 2019-20 season .. Missed Playoffs and Leafs will fall into the entry draft phase.

This CBJ series is considered by the NHL as a qualifying round for the playoffs and in lieu of the missing 12 games of the regular season.

The Leafs will need to beat CBJ and win their 1st round playoff series thereafter for it to be officially the first time since 2004 (16 years ago) WOW !! that a Leafs team has advanced beyond the 1st round.

My position will align with the NHL position.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's not a real playoff series. by definition. Winning means we merely qualified for the postseason.

but each year, the games toward the end of the season tend to ratchet up for most teams, and one could argue this play-in tries to represent that.

Reactions: CincoHolio

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs will need to beat CBJ and win their 1st round playoff series thereafter for it to be officially the first time since 2004 (16 years ago) WOW !! that a Leafs team has advanced beyond the 1st round.
That won't stop Leafs fans from saying they won a series of at least 3 games or no more than 5 games, since this core group of players haven't done that.

Although the funny thing is in 2018 and 2019 they won 3 games in the first round against Boston.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
For the record books it's qualifying for the playoffs (this year- in future years I expect a playin wildcard to be part of the playoffs)

For what it means for the players development and learning curve it's winning a round.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No. Let’s assume they beat CBJ and then go on and win round 1 of the *playoff, I still wouldn’t consider that a legit playoff round win.

Reactions: LeafsRus

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
It'll go down to me as Won/Lost Qualifying Round.

Playoffs are a specific kind of postseason and have implications on trades/draft/etc, but to me the 24 teams scheduled for the play-ins have an active postseason streak and that distinction most aligns to the spirit of the format (much closer than some historical versions of playoffs).

If the NHL decided arbitrarily that the play-ins are officially playoffs, nothing would change about the games/series themselves beyond the semantics.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That won't stop Leafs fans from saying they won a series of at least 3 games or no more than 5 games, since this core group of players haven't done that.

Although the funny thing is in 2018 and 2019 they won 3 games in the first round against Boston.

Leafs played 70 games before the league was shutdown so if the series goes 3-5 games that would mean Leafs played a 73-75 regular season of 82 games this year.

It will be a series win, but not a playoff series win as round #1 begins when they have cut the teams down from 24 to 16 like every years playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No. Let’s assume they beat CBJ and then go on and win round 1 of the *playoff, I still wouldn’t consider that a legit playoff round win.
Why would not be legit if they make the playoffs and win in the first round? The NHL isn't changing the rules for how the games are being played, so if they play overtime it's 20:00 a period until the first team who scores a goal.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Is it a series or is it just one game? I don't actually know lol

If it's a series, I'm considering it a playoff round. If it's one game, it's a play-in

Reactions: Sniper99

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If they win play-in then they qualify for playoffs.

If they lose then they qualify for entry draft sweepstakes.

To me if they lose then da roster requires a lot more modification at key positions especially goalie.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's an option I never thought of.
Added that option for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad