Qualified or Won Round???

Leafs beating the BJ's is considered......

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No. Let’s assume they beat CBJ and then go on and win round 1 of the *playoff, I still wouldn’t consider that a legit playoff round win.

In a way it might actually be MORE legit in some ways, when you think about it.

Normally the playoffs begin after a long and grueling season with injuries and ailments piling up and rosters that begin the playoffs all beat up and often missing key players.

This year due to the long absence it has allowed most teams to get close to full heath and have full rosters available so its really going to be Best on Best now, so that means winning a playoff round series could be consider more difficult and rewarding, since you and your opponent were both bringing their best to the table.

Since the playoff game rules hasn't changed and they're still all best of 7 series starting next round then the * asterisk might refer to being tougher to advance then in the past. :)

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Calling it anything other than making the playoffs is disingenuous. Beating CBJ would boost our confidence for sure and will feel like winning a series but in actuality that’s what we need to do to just be as good as the last 3 years

Edit: should have read the OP. I think it will feel like a series win but I wouldn’t count it since it’s technically not the playoffs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In a way it might actually be MORE legit in some ways, when you think about it.

Normally the playoffs begin after a long and grueling season with injuries and ailments piling up and rosters that begin the playoffs all beat up and often missing key players.

This year due to the long absence it has allowed most teams to get close to full heath and have full rosters available so its really going to be Best on Best now, so that means winning a playoff round series could be consider more difficult and rewarding, since you and your opponent were both bringing their best to the table.

Since the playoff game rules hasn't changed and they're still all best of 7 series starting next round then the * asterisk might refer to being tougher to advance then in the past. :)

That’s sweet but a big part in winning is earning a playoff spot and then fighting through the grueling playoffs.

im not changing my opinion because there’s too many variables that have changed that I cant accept it as legit. :mad:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Calling it anything other than making the playoffs is disingenuous. Beating CBJ would boost our confidence for sure and will feel like winning a series but in actuality that’s what we need to do to just be as good as the last 3 years
Make it to the same stage? Yes.

Be just as good? False.

It's different circumstances so you're comparing apples and oranges. The team already did what they had to do to "be just as good as last year" which is be in a playoff position at the end of the season. Beating Columbus will be better than what they did the past 3 years, but will only get them to the same stage.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That’s sweet but a big part in winning is earning a playoff spot and then fighting through the grueling playoffs.

im not changing my opinion because there’s too many variables that have changed that I cant accept it as legit. :mad:

Well there are no rules to being a fan that guides anyone on how one interprets different situations, and each is allowed to put as much or little weight as they personally prefer.

Your opinion is your own and so feel free to do with as you see fit. :)

When my Leafs hoist the Cup I personally will find that very rewarding and legit.

Reactions: Nineteen67

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Make it to the same stage? Yes.

Be just as good? False.

It's different circumstances so you're comparing apples and oranges. The team already did what they had to do to "be just as good as last year" which is be in a playoff position at the end of the season. Beating Columbus will be better than what they did the past 3 years, but will only get them to the same stage.

Yes but our hold on that spot was tenuous. Florida was right on our heels. Nothing like 2018 where we locked up #3 seed weeks ahead.

For me it’s as simple as if they were in the playoffs, they wouldn’t be in the play in round and potentially competing for a lottery pick.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
While 8 elimination series qualifies as a kind of "playoffs" by the very definition of the word, these series are simply substitutions for the balance of the NHL regular season. It's for Stanley Cup playoffs qualification.

Reactions: LeafsRus

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If the Leafs do defeat the Blue Jackets I guarantee the NHL will make tweets like these saying how they officially made the playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes but our hold on that spot was tenuous. Florida was right on our heels. Nothing like 2018 where we locked up #3 seed weeks ahead.
In 2018 the Maple Leafs didn't officially clinched their playoff spot until March 29th when Ottawa defeated Florida in a shootout. Plus they didn't officially clinch a top 3 spot in the Atlantic until March 30th when they defeated the Islanders.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
In 2018 the Maple Leafs didn't officially clinched their playoff spot until March 29th when Ottawa defeated Florida in a shootout. Plus they didn't officially clinch a top 3 spot in the Atlantic until March 30th when they defeated the Islanders.

They were in cruise control for far longer than that but OK

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Is it a series or is it just one game? I don't actually know lol

If it's a series, I'm considering it a playoff round. If it's one game, it's a play-in

Changed my mind, if the NHL is calling it playoffs, then it is a playoff series regardless of the format style.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Winner moves on, therefore it's the playoffs. Just one added series. But in the traditional sense, i don't think anyone actually "qualified" for the playoffs.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If the NHL decided arbitrarily that the play-ins are officially playoffs, nothing would change about the games/series themselves beyond the semantics.

I thought the NHL already did that? I read they declared that the play-in round will count as playoffs for statistics keeping purposes.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A bit of both tbh. It's pretty much a round of playoffs, but I won't consider them having won a playoff round until they've won the "real" round 1. As far as I'm concerned, they've made the playoffs and the play-in is just an extension of the playoffs. If they lose I think it would be nonsense to say they missed the playoffs, but if they lose in round 1 it would also be nonsense to say they won a round.

But I do think that winning the play in would really help with their mental state in knowing that they have what it takes to win a series. Whatever it is on paper doesn't really matter, it's going to be a full intensity best of 5 series against playoff worthy competition.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
It's awfully close to being a playoff win.... but not quite.

Playoffs means 16 teams battle for the Cup.

So.... once we're in that group of 16 we're in the playoffs. Which is pretty much what the league is saying.

This playin thing has lots of pressure, but it's more like a final stretch of the regular season when you're a team on the bubble. Gotta perform in order to get into the playoffs.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It would count as missing the playoffs, but I'm not sure it would feel like missing the playoffs given the 20+ week layoff.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm calling it a playoff win if they pull it off. I'd like to see a 7-game series type win even more, but that's just how I look at it. You are playing a playoff series against another team to move on to the next round. Winner moves on, loser goes home. It is an extra round of playoffs.

The NHL can definitely call it or consider it whatever it wants. A lot of this is rather iffy. Montreal being there because they wanted eyeballs from big hockey markets like Montreal and Chicago. Even though Montreal had zero chance of making the playoffs. And they need to call it like they are because of the stupid way they handled the draft lottery.

But, I'm just going to look at it like it ends up working out. A slightly shorter playoff series, but a playoff series nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad