QMJHL players that were rumored to go NCAA

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
I am hearing that the Legault clan is having second thoughts about the NCAA route. What the Olympiques have structured in a very short period of time is compelling and the future of the organization appears to be bright and heading in the right direction.

I'm hearing the same thing but from what I hear, a deal is far from being done at this time.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
But dont the players have to pay fro school in Canada as well? It’s not free in canada either. 4 years in Canada would be around $80K with tuition, room, etc etc. So in the end a difference of $5K/year.
The figures I mentioned are only for the school. It does not include room and board and giving your kid some spending money plus the expensive insurance you need to get from the school.

I have not heard of CIS schools charging for the school and yes you would have to cover the room and board, which is in CDN $$. IN the end, you are still saving at least $100k CDN over the full term.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Doesn't the CHL have a program where you get a tuition credit for each season played?

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
All expenses? School for a in Canada costs $20K-$25K for tuition, room,books, accommodations, etc. Does the CHL program cover that amount?

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
I think I remember it being around 15k so it's not going to cover everything but it's still significant.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
I’m not 100% and I’m sure there are many different little details but I’ve heard the basic amount all players are entitled to is a $600 reimbursement per course passed. This is from the league, nothing up front and only after the course is completed with a passing grade.
What negotiations can be made with different teams above and beyond, my guess, would be all on an individual basis. Draft position, team drafted to, how bad they want the player, may allow some extra incentives added by individual teams to top up a players package. Again only what I have heard, no idea how things actually pay out to players.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Thanks. So about $6K per player, math whiz i know, lol. Too bad it didnt cover tuition straight up which is about $10k now in most schools.
Tuition here in quebec is about $500 per course. Most undergraduate programs require 40 courses so you are looking at $20k over all for the courses. Far cry from hundreds of thousands of US $$.

Also, that page is what the CHL will give. Here in the Q, each team also gives money towards your education.
I have heard that some teams will set aside upto $250k per player for their players to use for a CDN school.
I don't know how true this is or if there are conditions that go with that but hopefully agents on this board can comment

In any case, since CIS and NCAA give no garantees of any thing, the parents need to decide what is best for their kid and their wallet.

Reactions: Talking Hockey

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Agreed families need to make a decision on what they think is best. Is the $250,000 for each player or is that across the all players each year? Seems $250,000 per player is rather high

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Agreed families need to make a decision on what they think is best. Is the $250,000 for each player or is that across the all players each year? Seems $250,000 per player is rather high
$250k is for each player but it depends on how well the player agent negotiated the contract. Some kids would get $150k while others would get $250k
There are conditions that go with that like you have to go full time to a CDN university within 1 yr of your last game, that amount is for tuition and lodging only, etc. This is all negotiated with the kids agent. Also, whatever money is left over goes back to the team, you can't use $50k and expect to pocket the remainder

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Seems a little high to me to be honest, doesn’t the league have rules around that stuff? Only a couple teams could pay that. Cant see teams committing that kinda of money to players unless they are Crosby, MacKinnon, lafriense, and they are never going to use education money. Back to your NCAA comparison, so not all kids receive same money which is no different in Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad