QMJHL players that were rumored to go NCAA

cape islander

Jul 20, 2003
What players that were drafted last year (2019) had rumors of them going south and the NCAA route but changed there mind and played QMJHL last year?

Also are there any holdouts and didn't play in the league last season rumored to be joining the league for the upcoming season?

I know these guys did play in the league after talks of them going south

Whynot
Bolduc
Huckins
Plandowski
Malatesta

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Bobby Orr
William Rousseau
Peter Reynolds
Mikael Huchette

are rumoured to be coming to play.

Nathan Gaucher
Zach L’Heureux
Charles Savoie

had explored the NCAA route.

Daniel Agostino was going the NCAA route.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Speaking as a parent wouldn't everyone at least explore the NCAA route? I would want to assess all the options for my kid and with the odds being strongly against making it as a pro getting an education at the same time as playing would be a pretty attractive draw.

cape islander

Jul 20, 2003
are any of these guys likely to play QMJHL next season? or any other "NCAA" guys not listed likely to change there minds?
it seems like alot of top end talent choosing the NCAA route the past couple of seasons

Guevin
Nause
Reynolds
Tinling
Rousseau
Legault
Richard

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
As far as I know Nause and Richard are going back into the Draft. Therefore Val D'Or and Victoriaville will get picks #6 and #7.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
are any of these guys likely to play QMJHL next season? or any other "NCAA" guys not listed likely to change there minds?
it seems like alot of top end talent choosing the NCAA route the past couple of seasons

Guevin
Nause
Reynolds
Tinling
Rousseau
Legault
Richard

Rousseau there’s a chance, his career choice doesn’t require a college education.

Reynolds is supposed to be a Sea Dog in the fall.

Legault has committed to a school and that won’t be changing anytime soon if at all. Gatineau has been going through a lot of changes.

Tinling is a package deal with his older brother, he’s supposed to be in the USHL next year. Perhaps he goes Q, it’s hard to tell. No one really knows.

idk about Nause, Guevin will probably only go to one team.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

Guevin
Nause
Reynolds
Tinling
Rousseau
Legault
Richard

Rousseau there’s a chance, his career choice doesn’t require a college education.

Legault has committed to a school and that won’t be changing anytime soon if at all. Gatineau has been going through a lot of changes.

Tinling is a package deal with his older brother, he’s supposed to be in the USHL next year. Perhaps he goes Q, it’s hard to tell. No one really knows.

cape islander

Jul 20, 2003
It seems like over the past 4-5 years more and more top level players are choosing the NCAA route over the QMJHL,

I think the league really needs to look at doing something to attract more of these players from leaving since we are already behind the other two leagues for getting any US players to play in the league.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
I had heard a couple months ago that Islanders were pushing hard for Ryan Greene to come play this coming season. Not sure what outcome of that will be. NCAA has just pushed out prospects at a high rate over the last 5-7 years and it seems a lot of those players come to pro more mature and ready for the next level.

Benoitb

Aug 8, 2018

From what I've heard, the Quebec Remparts can forget William Rousseau. If i have to bet, I will say he will be in USHL next year in Lincoln (Stars).

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast

Reynolds soon to announce ( maybe today ) that he will play for the Sea Dogs next year.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
William Rousseau will report to Quebec. COVID-19 and the events right now in the U.S. had an impact on his decision.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Speaking as a parent wouldn't everyone at least explore the NCAA route? I would want to assess all the options for my kid and with the odds being strongly against making it as a pro getting an education at the same time as playing would be a pretty attractive draw.

Doing the Q and then CIS is at least $100,000 US cheaper than going to NCAA.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Is there really that little scholarship money? I mean I know that a free ride is rare but...
Based on kids I know that went to Div 1, they all paid an average of $20k a year. This is regardless if you take 1 course of 4 courses. If you are a phenom, then you could get a lower price. Also, hockey is not a big money maker as much as football or basketball so most, if not all kids will have to pay. D3 on the other hand, I do know of kids paying on average of $8k based on financial aid only. If you are wealthy, you will not get any financial aid and pay the full price. Another option is playing in schools that are in the ACHA league, which is not part of NCAA so no complicated NCAA rules to follow. These schools will give you big discounts if they like you.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Thanks, something to keep in mind. Will have to be making those decisions in the next couple of years.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Based on kids I know that went to Div 1, they all paid an average of $20k a year. This is regardless if you take 1 course of 4 courses. If you are a phenom, then you could get a lower price. Also, hockey is not a big money maker as much as football or basketball so most, if not all kids will have to pay. D3 on the other hand, I do know of kids paying on average of $8k based on financial aid only. If you are wealthy, you will not get any financial aid and pay the full price. Another option is playing in schools that are in the ACHA league, which is not part of NCAA so no complicated NCAA rules to follow. These schools will give you big discounts if they like you.
Interesting for sure. Why so much if you are on full 4 year scholarship? Where the players on partial scholarships?

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Interesting for sure. Why so much if you are on full 4 year scholarship? Where the players on partial scholarships?
Every year you need to re-apply for whatever deal you have. There is no such thing as a 4 year deal. In Div 1, most kids do not finish their degree in 4 years beucase of the heavy load with hockey. Some schools have 20 hours of hockey a week. Div 3, most kids do get their degree in 4 years becuase the hockey load is less but do your research. 99% of the Div 3 schools are ARTS. They have no BUSINESS programs. For Div 1, each team is allowed 10 kids to have a free ride. Unless you are a phenom or already drafted in the NHL, you won't get this. From the kids that I know that went to a Div 1 school, every single one came back after 2 years and completed their degree here. They were not phenoms and were not drafted in the NHL and in their 2nd year, the amount they had to pay increased.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
But dont the players have to pay fro school in Canada as well? It’s not free in canada either. 4 years in Canada would be around $80K with tuition, room, etc etc. So in the end a difference of $5K/year.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I am hearing that the Legault clan is having second thoughts about the NCAA route. What the Olympiques have structured in a very short period of time is compelling and the future of the organization appears to be bright and heading in the right direction.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad