QC: Videotron Back to Back Sell Outs (Remparts) NHL Discussion Part 1

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
but the old guy experience I have makes me think Quebec city is not in the mix, and missed its turn the day Glendale gave another chance, talking about councellor Chavira qho changed its mind. That day, Qc was the ultimate emergency landing.
FWIW, and I'm not saying he's the ultimate authority, but Craig Morgan maintains that the Coyotes were never going to end up in Quebec City. I'm paraphrasing (because I forget which recent interview he said it in but it's out there on the interwebs) but he said something to the effect "I've heard 101 rumours of where this team might be going and oddly enough, the least/quietest of those are about the only city they were ever really in danger of moving to, and that's Portland..."

Reactions: Nordskull

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Na

Reality is Quebec city isnt a big enough market for todays NHL TV standard.

For one sick franchise in southern USA in the need of moving, you'll find 10 US cities ready to build 19K + seats arenas, many of those not even under radar at this point.

Heres a new one you just found ;-) CT gov. wants to coax Coyotes away from Arizona

I understand you follow this all year long, and I respect this, I dont have time to follow this on a permanent basis but the old guy experience I have makes me think Quebec city is not in the mix, and missed its turn the day Glendale gave another chance, talking about councellor Chavira qho changed its mind. That day, Qc was the ultimate emergency landing.

Things have changed, and there will be 10s of new landings. That explains why the franchise stays in Mullet for one and lemme predict, 2 to 3 more years in Mullett, the time needed to organize the biggest bidding process ever, for that treasure franchise that failed from the very start.

You think they will be fine with 1B? Wait.

On a strict business standpoint, no one of the league owners wants sometin in Quebec, when US dollars are waiting on the corner. Heck, nobody in Quebec city in its right mind, and includes Peladeau himself, would be fool enough to pitch 1B dollars in that thing.
A) It's not about wants, it's about needs.

B) QC is the only market ready to go.

C) Houston is the only other market that could be ready to go, but there's zero evidence suggesting the rockets owner is willing to pay. And he has all the leverage, the NHL has nothing for leverage without seriously being open to sending them to QC.

D) Any market that could supply an arena in 5 years time is likely a market better served by expansion.

E) The league wants this problem taken care of. No one wants to see the yotes in a situation where they essentially end up need an expansion draft because zero RFAs want to resign. Or see a market flounder because they were given a weak team. Poisoning the Arizona market with a nasty divorce. Losing out on expansion fees that could be collected later. Finally creating a team with the yotes where the team loses value year after year due to arena uncertainty.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
A) It's not about wants, it's about needs.

B) QC is the only market ready to go.

C) Houston is the only other market that could be ready to go, but there's zero evidence suggesting the rockets owner is willing to pay. And he has all the leverage, the NHL has nothing for leverage without seriously being open to sending them to QC.

D) Any market that could supply an arena in 5 years time is likely a market better served by expansion.

E) The league wants this problem taken care of. No one wants to see the yotes in a situation where they essentially end up need an expansion draft because zero RFAs want to resign. Or see a market flounder because they were given a weak team. Poisoning the Arizona market with a nasty divorce. Losing out on expansion fees that could be collected later. Finally creating a team with the yotes where the team loses value year after year due to arena uncertainty.
How is QC the only market "ready to go"? If you're going by arena, SLC, KC, Houston, Atlanta, Portland, Milwaukee, etc...all have ready arenas in one way or another.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
How is QC the only market "ready to go"? If you're going by arena, SLC, KC, Houston, Atlanta, Portland, Milwaukee, etc...all have ready arenas in one way or another.
SLC-Atlanta don't have arena's ready.

Like people have said there doesn't seem to be evidence that Houston is throwing up the money.

KC I honestly don't know enough about, other than it has a big franchise the chiefs(MLB+MLS) and isn't that big of a city.

Reactions: Stumbledore

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Like people have said there doesn't seem to be evidence that Houston is throwing up the money.

KC I honestly don't know enough about, other than it has a big franchise the chiefs and isn't that big of a city.
Atlanta does, if Hawks owner is interested. Their arena can still host hockey no problem.

Reactions: oknazevad

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Hawks have different owners now.

Not that Atlanta is getting another team anytime soon.
I thought the arena was an issue? I.e. poor for hockey?

I honestly think the league wants to blue ball these markets a little to get the expansion fees up.

Could see $1.5 billion price tag being the next round of expansions.

Especially if QC bids a billion on the yotes.

Keeping in mind as I've said again and again, a Canadian vision with 3 rounds of hockey would push up the value of the next Canadian deal.

We could see the next Canadian deal being as large as the current american deal. Which would mean each team is getting $40 mil a year(a billion over 25 years)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I thought the arena was an issue? I.e. poor for hockey?

I honestly think the league wants to blue ball these markets a little to get the expansion fees up.

Could see $1.5 billion price tag being the next round of expansions.

Especially if QC bids a billion on the yotes.

Keeping in mind as I've said again and again, a Canadian vision with 3 rounds of hockey would push up the value of the next Canadian deal.

We could see the next Canadian deal being as large as the current american deal. Which would mean each team is getting $40 mil a year(a billion over 25 years)
Nope. At least not physically speaking. The problem with Atlanta right now is the current Hawks owner who controls the arena has not shown any interest in NHL team. If they wanted a team and moved the team tomorrow arena will not be a problem.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’m not sure if those attendance numbers mean much to the NHL. If Houston got a team tomorrow they’d also have many consecutive sellouts (like Vegas and Seattle) plus mroe corporate support tha QC has to offer.

It sucks, but that’s how the league looks at it.

• Haha
Reactions: Slashers98

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
I’m not sure if those attendance numbers mean much to the NHL. If Houston got a team tomorrow they’d also have many consecutive sellouts (like Vegas and Seattle) plus mroe corporate support tha QC has to offer.
And will the NBA attendance go up as well? More NBA merch being sold? Increased eyes on the rockets?

Regardless you're comparing expansion teams to bottom feeders, in cities with nba teams.

take a peak you'll see a definitive trend.

There's only 12 cities with both NBA and NHL coexisting.

8 of which are northern climates.

2 have been failures,

I get people think it's 2 3rd of the league etc/

The only southern markets that successfully pull off both is socal.

and in LA's case it's in part because football teams weren't there for so long, and there were so many northerners living there.

In the bay area things being split up by the bay itself helps. , but the abundance of extremely high wages amongst upper middle class white notherners is another major factor.

It sucks, but that’s how the league looks at it.
If Feritta feels like biting big. Personally I think it's a mistake, in 15 years they'll request not starting off the city with an expansion.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

KC I honestly don't know enough about, other than it has a big franchise the chiefs(MLB+MLS) and isn't that big of a city.
Atlanta definitely has a couple options to house hockey for a few years until the new arena gets built.

Is SLC's not ready?

Houston...if naming a specific owner that has come forward to say they have the interest and capital is the problem, then not one market is ready, including QC.

KC's MSA is almost 3X the size of QC. Though I do question if there is a point with the Blues not far away.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And will the NBA attendance go up as well? More NBA merch being sold? Increased eyes on the rockets?

Regardless you're comparing expansion teams to bottom feeders, in cities with nba teams.

take a peak you'll see a definitive trend.

There's only 12 cities with both NBA and NHL coexisting.

8 of which are northern climates.

2 have been failures,

I get people think it's 2 3rd of the league etc/

The only southern markets that successfully pull off both is socal.

and in LA's case it's in part because football teams weren't there for so long, and there were so many northerners living there.

In the bay area things being split up by the bay itself helps. , but the abundance of extremely high wages amongst upper middle class white notherners is another major factor.

If Feritta feels like biting big. Personally I think it's a mistake, in 15 years they'll request not starting off the city with an expansion.

What's the trend? Not that you get much of a trend from 12 of anything. 5 of the 12 are O6 teams. Of course they're in the north, and of course they're not going to fail. There just aren't that many southern markets that are big enough to handle the big 4. That doesn't say much about the ones that can.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Was just gonna post this!

That's awesome. People are hockey fanatics here, no doubt.

And of course : this bears no weight for a Quebec City NHL bid. The only thing that matters in this regard, is wether the NHL team owners want a team here or not. And they don't. So it's never gonna happen.
If they were hockey fanatics that would be the attendance for every game, not just a championship series

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Atlanta does, if Hawks owner is interested. Their arena can still host hockey no problem.
Didn't the ice plant get removed during the 2017 reno? Ressler did about $300 million worth of gutting and rebuilding after he got the Hawks. I thought I read that the ice-making equipment got deactivated.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Didn't the ice plant get removed during the 2017 reno? Ressler did about $300 million worth of gutting and rebuilding after he got the Hawks. I thought I read that the ice-making equipment got deactivated.

They still do Disney on Ice events at SFA, so there's at least some ice making capacity in the arena.

Unless DoI somehow brings their ice making equipment with them?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We could find a place for a team to play in Atlanta, but it just isn't remotely realistic to try until an actual agreement is reached on an arena. Prior to that point, we're Phoenix. Too much risk. If this thing stalls a year, maybe that's enough time. If it happens this summer, it's not going to be here.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Canadians will NEVER abondon the game.

I left Canada 22 years ago and I am as crazy about the game as I was when I left.

The problem about the Canadian division is both sportsnet and TSN would still make it all about the leafs
why did you leave canada? too many taxes to pay?

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes, Disney brings their own ice.

Interesting.

Either way, I've never been especially convinced the presence of an ice plant matters that much. It's not a huge undertaking to put in the infrastructure for it when the space already exists.

Reactions: Stumbledore

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
They still do Disney on Ice events at SFA, so there's at least some ice making capacity in the arena.

Unless DoI somehow brings their ice making equipment with them?
Disney on Ice can bring a portable rink with them (see this article o their website about it), but the ice plant at State Farm Arena is fully intact. There is no reason, physically speaking, that it couldn't host NHL hockey next season. It's purely a matter of the current Hawks owners having never indicated any interest. Though the fact that they did intentionally leave the ice plant in place means they also didn't rule it out.

If they did I presume they can put it back. The real issue is the shape of the bowl.
Nothing about the bowl shape was changed in the renovations. They didn't turn it into a Barclays-like arrangement.

Last edited:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Lady Stanley

I dont agree the league needs to solve the Yotes, this will drag 3 years like it dragged for 2 weeks to 2 weeks to 2 weeks.

No more damage can be done to the leagues credibility, nones left. No problem in lettin them play the junior arena 2 or 3 years to create a pro sports franchise bidding process.

Regarding a better canadian TV deal, ask the broadcasters if they are happy with the NHL games, watching Toronto then Edmonton gettin beaten year after year.

I dont even remember who won the cup last year.

Theres far more better shows to watch elsewhere.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad