QC: Videotron Back to Back Sell Outs (Remparts) NHL Discussion Part 1

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Quebec will get a team eventually. Not any time soon, mind you, but in the distant future there WILL be a franchise that needs an emergency relocation for something and Quebec will be there with open arms.

Maybe it's the Coyotes in 2025 when their ASU lease ends and they can't get shovels in the ground.

Maybe it's Salt Lake City in 2050 when their lake dries up and people flee en masse due to the air being full of arsenic and most of the economic productivity drying up with it.

Maybe it's the Knights in 2075 when Las Vegas runs out of water.

Maybe it's the Panthers in 2100 when Miami is underneath the Atlantic ocean.

Whatever it is, at some point a franchise will need an escape hatch and Quebec will be that escape.

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
Was just gonna post this!

That's awesome. People are hockey fanatics here, no doubt.

And of course : this bears no weight for a Quebec City NHL bid. The only thing that matters in this regard, is wether the NHL team owners want a team here or not. And they don't. So it's never gonna happen.

Reactions: torontoblood

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm a Habs faithful, never was a Nordiques fan, but I think that's a shame. Anyone thinking otherwise doesn't love hockey.

Anyway, I wasn't starting another thread about the Nordiques. The subject here is a junior hockey team selling out a 18,000 rink.

In the 2nd round they beat a 40 years old record of the QMJHL with a crowd of 17,900. They'll be able to beat their own record now!
U of Alabama sells out 1000000 seater stadium in Tuscaloosa, Does not mean Tuscaloosa can support an NFL team.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
U of Alabama sells out 1000000 seater stadium in Tuscaloosa, Does not mean Tuscaloosa can support an NFL team.
Columbus sells out a 110,000 seat college stadium. They have an NHL team. Quebec's university team also sells out their football games and has the highest attendance of any university team in Canada. Based on this Quebec City can also support an NHL team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's impressive for a junior hockey team to sell out a NHL size rink with 18,259 seats for back to back games. Everything was gone in 4-5 hours.

At $24-28 a ticket no doubt it would.

Now do $125 a ticket average and find an owner willing to put up the money to put a team there.

This isn’t a slight of Quebec City hockey fans. They’re passionate about hockey and no one can ever say otherwise.

But the economics of it simply aren’t there and that’s how the NHL currently views it.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
At $24-28 a ticket no doubt it would.

Now do $125 a ticket average and find an owner willing to put up the money to put a team there.

This isn’t a slight of Quebec City hockey fans. They’re passionate about hockey and no one can ever say otherwise.

But the economics of it simply aren’t there and that’s how the NHL currently views it.
Well, minor quibble. It's an 18,300 seat arena so I don't think the average price would have to be $125. $100 average for non-suite seats would work,

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm afraid you missed the point.
No I get your point. Its a bad point because Columbus is a much bigger city than Tuscaloosa, or other college towns. You can't therefore say QC can do the similar things Columbus can.

MY point to begin with was these small college cities in football hotbed that is south can sell out massive stadiums for college football, but there is a reason why they will never get an NFL team Just because QC can sell out junior hockey games does not necessarily mean they can support an NHL team.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What is the purpose of this forum if not to make a case for QC getting an NHL team? Should it not be given they sell out championship games?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Question to the mod : Why do you keep on deleting the good thread instead of the derailed one?
Not sure about the previous deletion but... After reviewing everything posted thus far, I decided to merge the other thread with this one and let this one stand. I did so to keep the content fluid with this Forum.

I'm all for discussions regarding QC in here. It's an open house. Carry on

Also, if you want your discussion to have an extended shelf life here, I suggest you carefully consider your thread title edits.

Thread titles with "... posters who can't read" in it won't last long here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I swear I remember reading about the Portland Winterhawks selling out the Rose Garden/Moda Center occasionally (for playoffs?)... capacity around 18k. I didn't think junior teams selling out larger arenas for the playoffs was especially uncommon.

There's one for the final game of the regular season against a rival in 2019. But I think they might have curtained off the upper decks for Winterhawks games, which means capacity was closer to 11k.

I did find an article about the Spokane Chiefs selling out a regular season game this past February too. That's only 10k, but still... the point is that big games in junior hockey typically draw good crowds. It's not really indicative of their strength as an NHL market.

And don't get me wrong. I think QC can support a hockey team. In fact, I do not believe that their ability to support a team has ever really been in question. It's more about what potential a team has to grow franchise values for the rest of the owners... and the answer is: not as much as certain other markets.

Last edited:

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Quebec won't get a team for three reasons.

1 - Most of the NHL owners are stupid and don't think that Quebec does anything for them financially due to being in Canada and also "in the Habs already saturated market". This is also the dumbest of all the reasons

2 - They still believe that they can pierce the veil of American sports culture on a national level for the NBA/MLB level of national tv deals (which they won't ever get for reasons they don't publicly talk about) and obviously another Canadian team does nothing for that dream which is true.

3 - The politics surrounding PKP's potential involvement with the team and how close the team would be the current QC government which they know is very divisive and problematic outside of QC and rural Quebec. It's one thing to deal with political hot topics in a place where a team already exists but it's completely different to decide to get in bed with them when it's there. People will deny this, especially those from QC and rural Quebec, and then the PKP was said before by Gord Miller on a MTL radio many years ago.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Quebec won't get a team for three reasons.

1 - Most of the NHL owners are stupid and don't think that Quebec does anything for them financially due to being in Canada and also "in the Habs already saturated market". This is also the dumbest of all the reasons

2 - They still believe that they can pierce the veil of American sports culture on a national level for the NBA/MLB level of national tv deals (which they won't ever get for reasons they don't publicly talk about) and obviously another Canadian team does nothing for that dream which is true.

3 - The politics surrounding PKP's potential involvement with the team and how close the team would be the current QC government which they know is very divisive and problematic outside of QC and rural Quebec. It's one thing to deal with political hot topics in a place where a team already exists but it's completely different to decide to get in bed with them when it's there. People will deny this, especially those from QC and rural Quebec, and then the PKP was said before by Gord Miller on a MTL radio many years ago.
No Quebec City will get a team when an ownership group is willing to put up 600 million . That was the problem with Quebecer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad