q. hughes vs m. rielly

whos better

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
No one can say right now. Hughes has played 42 games in the last 2 seasons. Don't get ahead of yourselves here!

Rielly has put up 70+ point seasons in the NHL, playing against the best players in the world. He would have been Vancouvers top #1 scorer last season with 72 points, where Pettersson only had 66 points. I don't think anyone can be throwing shade at Rielly.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hughes will pass Rielly by next season imo. I think it’s already close and that on balance Hughes has played better than Rielly this year. But it’s only half a season and we need to see more. Rielly should bounce back at least somewhat. Need to see more.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
No one can say right now. Hughes has played 42 games in the last 2 seasons. Don't get ahead of yourselves here!

Rielly has put up 70+ point seasons in the NHL, playing against the best players in the world. He would have been Vancouvers top #1 scorer last season with 72 points, where Pettersson only had 66 points. I don't think anyone can be throwing shade at Rielly.
Morgan Reilly has put up one, not multiple, 70 point season.

Not sure you’re one to talk about evaluating players accurately given how wrong you’ve been with regards to Nylander, Pettersson, etc.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Hughes will never be on Rielly's level, the talent levels just aren't comparable - Rielly is much more talented. Expecting his development to hit a big plateau soon.
Like you said Pettersson won’t be cracking 50 points and beating Giroux or that Nylander >>> Pettersson? According to your scouting I should expect Hughes to surpass Reilly.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

Pretty sure Pettersson didn't even play a full season, and was a rookie, the only thing I'm getting from this though is that Reilly's pts would tank last year if he played in Vancouver.

As for the poll I haven't watched enough of Hughes, but I don't doubt that he and the other young D will surpass Reilly by season's end or early next year.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

70+ point season. He did it once and it looks to be an outlier. And he wouldn't have put 70 points on the Canucks last year so that's irrelevant.

Mar 26, 2010
Like you said Pettersson won’t be cracking 50 points and beating Giroux or that Nylander >>> Pettersson? According to your scouting I should expect Hughes to surpass Reilly.
Bold prediction. Guess we will all see after this season. The kid has a ways to go, to beat 20 goals, 72 points.

Hughes has 3 goals.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Bold prediction. Guess we will all see after this season. The kid has a ways to go, to beat 20 goals, 72 points.

Hughes has 3 goals.
Maybe you misunderstood but that wasn’t a prediction but an indictment of your opinion and that I should expect the exact opposite.

Not that it is a bold prediction... Morgan has 2 goals in his D+1 rookie season in 73 games. Quinn’s already got him beat there in his D+1 rookie season.

Mar 26, 2010
Maybe you misunderstood but that wasn’t a prediction but an indictment of your opinion and that I should expect the exact opposite.

Not that it is a bold prediction... Morgan has 2 goals in his D+1 rookie season in 73 games. Quinn’s already got him beat there in his D+1 rookie season.
I am not arguing the fact that Quinn is not a fantastic D prospect. All I am saying, is that he has a long way to go before being in the convo with proven top pairing D men.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Rielly easily. I’m not a Leaf fan, but this was easy. QHughes will be a very good player, but he's not better than the other young DMen Makar or Heiskanen.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hughes is my favourite player to watch, its still Rielly.

Hughes is so unique, he's a better playmaker & more creative (than most D in the league), but Rielly is superior defensively & has a better shot. If they are playing on the same team Rielly is the first pair guy getting tougher matchups.

Hughes is good defensively but he still has some work to do, its still his first year, he's still learning like any rookie.
hughes is way better defensively than rielly dude

Mar 26, 2010
Rielly easily. I’m not a Leaf fan, but this was easy. QHughes will be a very good player, but he's not better than the other young DMen Makar or Heiskanen.
Heck No!

Makar is WAY better than Quinn Hughes. Its not even close.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Until Quinn puts up 72 points (including 20 goals) its Rielly.

Thats obviously not out of the picture for Quinn sometime in the future.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Until Quinn puts up 72 points (including 20 goals) its Rielly.

Thats obviously not out of the picture for Quinn sometime in the future.

You can't be serious? Right? You're just going to look at a career year and go with that?

Until Matthews puts up 56 goals in a season Cheechoo will be known as the better goal scorer.

Reactions: JoVel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad