q. hughes vs m. rielly

whos better

• Total voters

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Makar also has 8 goals and is a +10.
Hugh’s has 3 goals and is a - 3.
Reilly is better than both right now though.
I'd say Makar is better actually to be honest. Moving forward I think both Makar and Hughes will be better then Reilly. Not to say Reilly is inferior but Makar is clearly the best and Hughes has shown alot more to me then Reilly did at similiar point in career. Regardless all three are gems and respective teams are all happy with having them.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Hughes is my favourite player to watch, its still Rielly.

Hughes is so unique, he's a better playmaker & more creative (than most D in the league), but Rielly is superior defensively & has a better shot. If they are playing on the same team Rielly is the first pair guy getting tougher matchups.

Hughes is good defensively but he still has some work to do, its still his first year, he's still learning like any rookie.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Does anyone actually watch Rielly play? The guy is an awful defenseman.
He got away with more last season because he and the team were putting up more points. He is put in very favorable situations to pad his offensive stats, but you just can't hide the fact that he is a terrible defender.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Hughes, he's already better defensively and offensively. MR is a good defensemen but he's not what everyone thought he'd be based off last year. A ton of puck luck and likely a career year offensively on a stacked unit. Defensively he's thee worst of any teams #1 guys.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Hughes, he's already better defensively and offensively. MR is a good defensemen but he's not what everyone thought he'd be based off last year. A ton of puck luck and likely a career year offensively on a stacked unit. Defensively he's thee worst of any teams #1 guys.

So you rate Hughes off a half season as a rookie and discount Rielly though last season he was amazing lol. This board I tell ya lol

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
This is crazy, it’s Rielly and it’s not close. Both Hughes and Makar are gonna be studs for a long time but Rielly is already a 1-2 d-man. Guy plays 25-26 mins a night for the leafs also been there when they were a bad team as well, leader in the locker room. He’d be on team canada if there was a team today. The two kids will be great hope they get to be better then him someday soon.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Does anyone actually watch Rielly play? The guy is an awful defenseman.
He got away with more last season because he and the team were putting up more points. He is put in very favorable situations to pad his offensive stats, but you just can't hide the fact that he is a terrible defender.
But he's not a terrible defender. Hes having a bad year and a lot of us think hes been playing injured. Its funny you say hes been sheltered when it's been quite the opposite. Since he became a full time nhl player hes been thrown to the wolves. Hes never had a good partner since day one. Get your head out of your ass. Facing the opposition's best every night is certainly favourable. Any other defender would thrive playing with Ceci.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Reilly is better still, but I voted for Hughes because he doesn't play for Toronto.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
But he's not a terrible defender. Hes having a bad year and a lot of us think hes been playing injured. Its funny you say hes been sheltered when it's been quite the opposite. Since he became a full time nhl player hes been thrown to the wolves. Hes never had a good partner since day one. Get your head out of your ass. Facing the opposition's best every night is certainly favourable. Any other defender would thrive playing with Ceci.
He is an awful defender. I understand that he is your guy, but the guy is just bad in his own end.
Before you tell me I don't watch the Leafs, I will say that I watch at least 20-30 Leaf games/season and normally watch highlights when I miss a game.
I am not a Leaf hater. I think they are a fun team to watch. I also think they are going nowhere until they get some players who can defend.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He is an awful defender. I understand that he is your guy, but the guy is just bad in his own end.
Before you tell me I don't watch the Leafs, I will say that I watch at least 20-30 Leaf games/season and normally watch highlights when I miss a game.
I am not a Leaf hater. I think they are a fun team to watch. I also think they are going nowhere until they get some players who can defend.
Ok...now can I tell you you don't watch the Leafs?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Hughes is already an amazing d-man and with that potential could very well end up being better than Rielly. But lets not jump the gun too quickly here. Rielly was a top 5 Norris vote getter last season. Hughes is great, but he's not there yet.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sure, if it makes you feel better about Morgan being awful.
Sure, I feel absolutely terrible about the defenceman who was top 5 in Norris voting last year and has been a number one defenceman for the past several years. He's playing injured and still logging top minutes every night and on pace for 50 pts.

Hughes looks good but thats half a season in and if you're gonna be ignoring the past few years of number one defenceman calibre play, try having some perspective when using these criticisms to match a number one defenceman to a promising kid who has yet to play even half a season.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Sure, I feel absolutely terrible about the defenceman who was top 5 in Norris voting last year and has been a number one defenceman for the past several years. He's playing injured and still logging top minutes every night and on pace for 50 pts.

Hughes looks good but thats half a season in and if you're gonna be ignoring the past few years of number one defenceman calibre play, try having some perspective when using these criticisms to match a number one defenceman to a promising kid who has yet to play even half a season.
I don't remember talking about Hughes. To me, he hasn't proved too much yet.
I am talking about MR though. Referencing his Norris votes doesn't address my point. He is an awful defenseman. Yes, he can put up points, but let's be real, he is playing with an ultra talented forward group the majority of the time.
You can deny it till the cows come home, but his embarrassing defensive play is on display every night.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't remember talking about Hughes. To me, he hasn't proved too much yet.
I am talking about MR though. Referencing his Norris votes doesn't address my point. He is an awful defenseman. Yes, he can put up points, but let's be real, he is playing with an ultra talented forward group the majority of the time.
You can deny it till the cows come home, but his embarrassing defensive play is on display every night.
You can whine about his defensive plays "till the cows come home". But like Keefe I prefer to focus on what he is rather than what he isn't. He's a tremendous offensively gifted defenceman who the Leafs lean on heavily every night and gives them a chance to win every night. He was top 5 in Norris votes, had 72 points and 20 goals last season and is their number one defenceman.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Hughes is better but he also gets to play with one of the best dmen at playing actual defence(Tanev). The Leafs had their chance to get him..

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hughes will never be on Rielly's level, the talent levels just aren't comparable - Rielly is much more talented. Expecting his development to hit a big plateau soon.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad