Recalled/Assigned: Pyotr Kochetkov

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
as well as Raanta has played in stretches for us, his history of getting nicked up makes it hard to justify resigning him as the backup next year…. We still need 3 goalies as we need depth just in case someone goes down and it seems like every team in the league has a need for a 3rd goalie called up for a spell here and there..

knowing we have PK signed for 4 more years at only $2m per season? I’m still shaking my head…. Gave PK confidence and security knowing we believed in him and he was going to be with us… and we took a calculated risk and everything is trending in the right direction to have a very good young goalie with us for the next few years locked down at a super value contract….. it gives us so much flexibility in what we do with whom we pair him with…..
Based on what I've read and interpolated from stat watching, I'd say we're not in bad shape when it comes to our goalie pipeline.

Still a little early to tell, but Jakub Vondras might just be the real deal. Have to see what happens when he moves up a division.

Apparently, Hamrla and Quapp are coming along nicely. And even good ole Jake Kucharski has had a nice season for Nebraska-Omaha. Perhaps Kucharski will be given a shot in Norfolk next season.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Based on what I've read and interpolated from stat watching, I'd say we're not in bad shape when it comes to our goalie pipeline.

Still a little early to tell, but Jakub Vondras might just be the real deal. Have to see what happens when he moves up a division.

Apparently, Hamrla and Quapp are coming along nicely. And even good ole Jake Kucharski has had a nice season for Nebraska-Omaha. Perhaps Kucharski will be given a shot in Norfolk next season.
I’m not so sure I feel as positive about our goalie prospects are you do. Hamrla has been sub .900 each of his two seasons in the Q, Quapp is in a weak league (DEL2) and doesn’t play much and Kucharski, drastically, has been worse each season.

Hard to say with goalies but none of these guys give me any reason to think they’ll ever move beyond ahl/echl level if they even get signed.

Vondras, could be interesting, though.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I’m not so sure I feel as positive about our goalie prospects are you do. Hamrla has been sub .900 each of his two seasons in the Q, Quapp is in a weak league (DEL2) and doesn’t play much and Kucharski, drastically, has been worse each season.

Hard to say with goalies but none of these guys give me any reason to think they’ll ever move beyond ahl/echl level if they even get signed.

Vondras, could be interesting, though.
Yea, the goalie leading DEL2 currently was barely even a serviceable AHL/ECHL goalie...that said he did have a pretty good WJC showing for Germany, played well for a team that was getting shelled. That said, as we all know, goalies are voodoo. Remember when Askarov was going to be the next Vasy/Shesty/Sorokin? Right now he's more on track to be Samsonov at best

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I feel very optimistic about the prospects of Pyotr "Put Me In" Kochetkov, but I'm not so old that my memory has completely failed me. I'm not suggesting there's a big risk of something similar happening, but a good example of the voodoo that goalies do do:

Darling Chicago stats.jpg

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We are in a league right now where we can’t even confidently evaluate goalies playing 50 Vezina-caliber games per year for 2-3 seasons in a row. Never in my 20 years of being a fan have I been less confident in knowing which goalies are good or not leaguewide.

Kochetkov has played less than 30 games. I think anyone definitively saying they have any idea about Kochetkov either way is early.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
We are in a league right now where we can’t even confidently evaluate goalies playing 50 Vezina-caliber games per year for 2-3 seasons in a row. Never in my 20 years of being a fan have I been less confident in knowing which goalies are good or not leaguewide.

Kochetkov has played less than 30 games. I think anyone definitively saying they have any idea about Kochetkov either way is early.
Yeah large majority of goalies are just pure voodoo. There's a handful that are proven consistent year in year out like Vasi, Helle, maybe Sorokin, etc. but then there are guys like Igor who was one of the best in league history last year and pretty bad this year. You really need a 3-4+ year sample size to really be confident and even then a guy's play could randomly fall off.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I believe this should leave him still eligible for the Calder next year when he crushes things as part of the Canes yet to be named two headed monster in net!
Yeah he'll be Calder eligible provided the two headed glass monster doesn't get injured again, or we don't rest them in the last game or 2 in the season if the division is locked up. But Connor Bedard's name is already on the trophy for 2023-24.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2