Recalled/Assigned: Pyotr Kochetkov

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Well that's a change from yesterday's belief, I know it was Sara not Tripp but still. Hopefully if it is Pyotr for the start that he can either hold up the fort long enough for Freddie to come back or just grab the bull by the horns and make a run himself. I agree with Tripp, I believe in this guy. Although, when is the last time, if ever, that a team's starting goalie for a Cup run didn't speak a lick of English and had been in NA for like a month or less?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He always found Ned a little too unconventional and chaotic. Even when Ned was doing well, Tripp pointed out the people who told him Ned would be good rather than saying he thought Ned would be good:

I can't find anything on Twitter from Tripp about LaFontaine.

That is one thing that I do really appreciate about Tripp. He's willing to admit when he's wrong, but does it in a way that doesn't highlight the fact that the player had doubters. Its a subtle skill, but a really good one to have.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will say, I'm not ready to take what Tripp is saying for a starter about a week from now as gospel. But as I said in the other thread, it'd be gutsy if Antti is available.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
It seems though Pyotr has been 100% about being with the Canes since coming over at the close of the KHL. Seems he’s embraced the teams and players from day 1. Kind of kid the others players will be there for.

He’s got the size and athleticism to be a #1. Maybe this experience will keep him stateside for the off season, work with the team on development and learning the language. He may see himself as the heir apparent to the job, and willing to make a statement for that spot.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
once freddie clears, pyotr has to return to the ahl, right? since he is on emergency call up?

edit to add my actual point...

so, he could start playoff games, win them, and unless annti got "hurt" when freddie's back, there is no choice in sending him back? or can he be a black ace? i don't know how that works.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
once freddie clears, pyotr has to return to the ahl, right? since he is on emergency call up?

so, he could start playoff games, win them, and unless annti got "hurt" when freddie's back, there is no choice in sending him back? or can he be a black ace? i don't know how that works.
I don't know the specifics but I would think in the playoffs since there's no cap he can stay up? @Lempo ?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Pyotr can be changed from emergency to regular call up (1 of 4 allowed) after Freddie is deemed healthy. Or 10 games, whichever comes first. Cap wont be a concern anymore.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
emergency call ups is just an allowed cap circumvention technique.

i thought emergency call ups still had to fit under the cap? otherwise, why would vegas ask lehner to back up while hurt instead of just using an emergency call up? (note - just talking regular season theoreticals now, i get that cap doesn't matter in the playoffs)

didn't we have to play a game a while back short a skater because we didn't have time to shift cap around to call someone up?

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Not factoring in potential effects of the war on the league (and there are some right now, not sure how it'll look at the start of next season)... I believe the KHL in the last several years has been the best goalie developmental league in the world, they do a really good job out there of coaching up goalies in my opinion. Also, he'd likely have to share the crease here in the AHL with Mak (or maybe others), for Torpedo he'd likely be the guy and the more playing time he can get, the better. I don't think it's a huge deal where he is next year but if I were given the choice between the two I'd send him to the K. Getting further acclimated to the US is a benefit of the A but I still think the on-ice performance is most important and in the long run another year in the K is better for his development than the A.

I may be totally wrong…. But don’t they keep like 4 goalies per team and rotate them in the KHL? He bounced around because they were starting others over him until he landed at Torpedo….he went so long in between starts and then didn’t play well with all the time off and then didn’t get another start for even longer in between in the viscous circle… But he was still in a rotation even with Torpedo I believe and had to earn a higher number of the starts and make the coach go with the hot hand…. But he still went stretches of not playing as they gave all the others some work….. not sure he would play more games in KHL than he would here in AHL… and maybe the cutthroat nature of how starts are given would help his development? If he is more comfortable over there and that’s what he wants to do maybe I guess that’s the better option… otherwise I’m not sure playing on the smaller ice and getting used to NA hockey wouldn’t be better for him given where he is in his development window…

I saw a translated interview (maybe even in this thread or the prospects thread??) where he openly admitted he didn’t feel ready for North American hockey and was glad they loaned him back to the KHL… he seemed reticent for the big move… and I’m sure it’s got to be scary to be in a completely new country with extremely limited language skills…. hopefully his success in the AHL and now up here in his cup of coffee will do wonders to his confidence to make him feel like he can really do it….

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I may be totally wrong…. But don’t they keep like 4 goalies per team and rotate them in the KHL? He bounced around because they were starting others over him until he landed at Torpedo….he went so long in between starts and then didn’t play well with all the time off and then didn’t get another start for even longer in between in the viscous circle… But he was still in a rotation even with Torpedo I believe and had to earn a higher number of the starts and make the coach go with the hot hand…. But he still went stretches of not playing as they gave all the others some work….. not sure he would play more games in KHL than he would here in AHL… and maybe the cutthroat nature of how starts are given would help his development? If he is more comfortable over there and that’s what he wants to do maybe I guess that’s the better option… otherwise I’m not sure playing on the smaller ice and getting used to NA hockey wouldn’t be better for him given where he is in his development window…

I saw a translated interview (maybe even in this thread or the prospects thread??) where he openly admitted he didn’t feel ready for North American hockey and was glad they loaned him back to the KHL… he seemed reticent for the big move… and I’m sure it’s got to be scary to be in a completely new country with extremely limited language skills…. hopefully his success in the AHL and now up here in his cup of coffee will do wonders to his confidence to make him feel like he can really do it….
Really depends on the team, not any different from the NHL, some will ride a clear starter, some will go 1a/1b, etc. Pyotr jumped around teams early on because he was young and didn't have much of a track record of success and was behind other better young players and solid vets who had earned it. It took him a while to get to a team that would give him a real shot. Once he finally got it with Torpedo he took the bull by the horns and was proving to be one of the most promising goalies in the entire league.

He struggled a lot early in the year in the starts he was given and because Torpedo was trying to contend they, like the other teams, went more with a solid established vet in Tikhomirov, that's the reason he was in a "rotation" with Torpedo. By the time he got more playing time and strung together great starts and was having success he became the clear starter, and frankly the main draw for that franchise.

Yes there could be the risk of him struggling in the K and getting put back more into a rotation but from comments from the Torpedo organization they definitely viewed him as their star goalie and a clear starter. It's not an exact science and I'm no expert on goaltending or prospect development, but my opinion is that the KHL is the best place for goalies to develop lately. Like I said in a previous post, I don't feel super strongly about it and there are definitely benefits to the AHL. My main concern there though is just that he would certainly have to share the crease with Mak (who is also very promising for us) and that could be to the detriment of both of them.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
i thought emergency call ups still had to fit under the cap? otherwise, why would vegas ask lehner to back up while hurt instead of just using an emergency call up? (note - just talking regular season theoreticals now, i get that cap doesn't matter in the playoffs)

didn't we have to play a game a while back short a skater because we didn't have time to shift cap around to call someone up?
Emergency call ups do not count against the cap. We only have 430k and Pyotr is up. They have to come from a contracted player on a minor league roster. No calling nhl players, emergency call ups.

Skaters are treated differently than goalies for emergency purposes. At no time can a team not have 2 healthy goalies on their roster. Emergency will kick in. Skaters, I believe the number is 15. Anything over that, you play short and then get the emergency call-up the next day.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

There were 3 goalies on the Torpedo roster. There was a guy a couple of years older that was playing well. The other goalie was 35. If I remember correctly, he had pretty good numbers career wise but was struggling this year.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad