OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The National Women’s Hockey League is coming to Rochester, New York.
The defending Isobel Cup champion Buffalo Beauts will face the New York Riveters on Saturday, November 4 at 7:30 pm ET at the 2,500-seat Bill Gray’s Regional Iceplex.
The NWHL was invited to Rochester by the directors of the Bauer Fire on Ice Tournament, which will be held that weekend.

Bauer Fire on Ice is produced by LEGACY Global Sports and is one of the largest girls’ ice hockey tournaments in the world. Last year, it drew 166 visiting teams and more than 2,500 athletes from Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington, Ontario and British Columbia, among many other communities.

"LEGACY Global Sports is beyond thrilled to have the NWHL play a league game during our Bauer Fire on Ice tournament,” said tournament director Paul Maciejewski.
“We strive to make each and every tournament a world-class event while impacting the lives of young athletes. By bringing the NWHL to Rochester and Fire on Ice, it a tremendous opportunity for over 2,000 female youth hockey players to watch high-level professional women's hockey while learning about the league, players and being able to set their goals and dreams in this great sport."

“We can’t wait to bring the NWHL to Rochester,” said NWHL Commissioner Dani Rylan.
“To grow the league and promote the women’s game, one of our goals is to present NWHL games in different settings.
We’re proud to showcase our players before the thousands of girls’ hockey participants in the Fire on Ice tournament.”

Ticket information for the game in Rochester will be available at a later date.
Previously, the NWHL announced a neutral-site game in Pittsburgh on Sunday, January 14, 2018 featuring the Beauts and Connecticut Whale.
The 2018 NWHL All-Star Game will also be played in a city outside the league’s four markets.
The 2017-2018 NWHL schedule is expected to be released this week.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
With some Saturday games, I sure hope people come out and support Buffalo's pro women's hockey team. This team deserves to play in front of a sold-out HARBORCENTER - and I will be furious if this is not the case.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
With some Saturday games, I sure hope people come out and support Buffalo's pro women's hockey team. This team deserves to play in front of a sold-out HARBORCENTER - and I will be furious if this is not the case.

We make it to at least one a season. Only 8 home games though

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

UNH Women's Hockey‏ @UNHWHOCKEY-
With the 18th overall pick (5th round) in the #2017NWHLDraft , @BuffaloBeauts select our very own Amy Schlagel! Congrats, Amy! #UNHWH

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
How does the NWHL draft work?

Obviously, for a part-time salary, there's a high burden to packing up and moving to a city where you have no other prospects or connections. It wouldn't make any sense for the league if, e.g., Buffalo drafted a top talent in the country, but she was tied to Boston for other reasons, and then couldn't play for the Pride.

So how do the picks work? I could imagine where the picks are just celebratory, and the players don't have to play for the team that picked them. Or alternately, I could imagine a world where there was a quiet UFA process that the draft thereafter effectively announced the results of, once players determined where they wanted to play.

But an NHL-analogous draft process doesn't make sense to me. Anybody know the score?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
How does the NWHL draft work?

Obviously, for a part-time salary, there's a high burden to packing up and moving to a city where you have no other prospects or connections. It wouldn't make any sense for the league if, e.g., Buffalo drafted a top talent in the country, but she was tied to Boston for other reasons, and then couldn't play for the Pride.

So how do the picks work? I could imagine where the picks are just celebratory, and the players don't have to play for the team that picked them. Or alternately, I could imagine a world where there was a quiet UFA process that the draft thereafter effectively announced the results of, once players determined where they wanted to play.

But an NHL-analogous draft process doesn't make sense to me. Anybody know the score?

It's not ideal due to the pay, but they draft players heading into their senior year to give the players time to look for jobs in that area, find housing, and do whatever other logistic work that needs to be done

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm guessing that Zalewski might have a easier transition than some since she grew up in Buffalo and her parents might still be here.

And if the name sounds familiar it's because she has two older brothers (Mike and Steve) that are pro hockey players.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@RMUWHockey - Another alum to the @BuffaloBeauts!
Congrats to former captain Rebecca Vint '15 on signing in the #NWHL.
Vint posted 73 Goals - 61 Assists - 134 Points at Robert Morris University.

@BuffaloBeauts - Fun Fact: @bvintt24 left Robert Morris University as the program's leading scorer.
A record which was broken last year by our #2017NWHLDraft pick, @brithoward3.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloBeauts - Former Sabre, Tom Draper, will join Ric Seiling and Craig Muni on our coaching staff! #DefendTheCrown

In Buffalo, joining returning co-head coaches Ric Seiling and Craig Muni to round out an all-NHL staff with the Beauts is former Sabre Tom Draper, who will serve as goaltending consultant. After playing college hockey at Vermont, Draper had a successful goaltending career in the pros in Europe and in North America – including stints with the Sabres, Winnipeg Jets and New York Islanders.

“I was at the Sabres game last season when they honored the Beauts for winning the Isobel Cup and had the privilege of speaking with some of the players,” said Draper. “I was thrilled to get the offer from Ric and Craig – two guys I respect a lot. I’ll break down a lot of tape and hopefully bring a unique perspective to our goalies. I’m honored to be working with these world-class athletes as we try to keep the Cup in Buffalo.”

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Buffalo Beauts added another player to their roster Thursday, reaching an agreement in principle with Jess Jones, the co-scoring leader in the Canadian Women's Hockey League last season.

Jones notched 37 points (17 goals, 20 assists) in 24 games for the Brampton Thunder. She tied Marie-Philip Poulin for the league's scoring title.

“After playing in the European and Canadian leagues, I’m looking forward to the challenge of competing against the great talent in the National Women’s Hockey League,” said Jones, 26. “I’ve admired the league from my home base in Toronto, and of course I know some of the players from my collegiate career, so I’m really pumped to become a member of the Buffalo Beauts.”

Jones played at Mercyhurst from 2008-2012, finishing her collegiate career with 61 goals and 93 assists in 136 games.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Brooklyn, New York - The National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL) today unveiled the “NWHL Twitter Game of the Week” schedule for the 2017-2018 season.

The global LIVE streams feature 16 regular season games, the NWHL All-Star Game and two games of the pre-season NWHL/Team Russia Summit Series. The 19 games will be produced by the NWHL and will be exclusive to Twitter in the LIVE windows. The games are available for free to logged-in and logged-out users on Twitter and connected devices. Fans will be able to access the LIVE stream at NWHL.twitter.com or via @NWHL.

The best and fastest way for hockey fans to join the live NWHL conversation during the Game of the Week broadcasts is to Tweet with #NWHL. The LIVE streams will also feature between-periods interviews with players, coaches and fans at the game.

NWHL Twitter Game of the Week Schedule -

October 15 - 1:30 pm ET - Team Russia at Connecticut - October 22 - 7:00 pm ET - Team Russia at New York - October 28 - 2:00 pm ET - Boston at New York. November 4 - 7:30 pm ET - New York at Buffalo (in Rochester) - November 11 - 7:00 pm ET - New York at Connecticut - November 19 - 2:00 pm ET - Boston at Connecticut.

December 3 - 3:00 pm ET - Connecticut at New York - December 10 - 3:00 pm ET - Buffalo at New York - December 16 - 1:30 pm ET - Connecticut at Buffalo. January 7 - 3:00 pm ET - Connecticut at New York - January 14 - 2:00 pm ET - Buffalo at Connecticut (in Pittsburgh) - January 21 - 2:00 pm ET - Boston at New York - January 27 - 2:00 pm ET - New York at Connecticut.

February 3 - 1:00 pm ET - New York at Buffalo - February 11 - Time To Be Announced - 2018 NWHL All-Star Game - February 18 - 1:30 pm ET - Connecticut at New York - February 25 - 3:00 pm ET - Buffalo at New York. March 4 - 3:00 - Buffalo at New York - March 10 - 7:00 pm ET - Buffalo at Connecticut.

http://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/835805?referrer_id=2739439

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark