OT: PVR'ing the game

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
If you're PVRing the game, be sure to turn off your cell phone. If you're a die hard sports fan, there's a decent chance one of your friends is too, and they WILL leak out the spoilers!!!!!

Or watch other sports stations with tickers. You try to ignore it but I always seems to look at it.

I usually start watching an hour after the game starts and always add 3 hours after because you never know(just erase once you have watched the game)

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
PVR all the time when I'm at home. I hate commercials and intermissions.

I PVR the Superbowl. Takes 15 minutes to watch if you skip the huddles as well as the ads and halftime bs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
When do you start watching? After the game is already over? Or 30 min- 1 hour after puck drop?

10 mins or so of pregame
40 mins of intermission
20 mins or so in game commercials

So about an hour after puck drop, give or take.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
How many of you actually PVR games then start watching 30min-1 hour later? I wonder if that's a viable way to watch the games. I want to skip through all the commercials and the intermissions for the most part. Also, let's say the game actually ends at 10 when would it end on your PVR? 15 minutes later? or more? or less? I am just wondering because I got a PVR box for the first time very recently, I just want to know if this is a good way to watch at least some of the games.

I seldom watch live as I rather watch and rewind games and see key plays and I can re-watch as well.

I just make sure that I allow enough time for OT etc when setting the timer.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I personally don't enjoy the games as much if I am not watching it live. Some weird thing with me... I don't like not watching it live.

Plus it means I have to avoid all social media/GDTs/text etc... Just too many factors. If I know the outcome already it isn't entertaining imo and I'll just watch highlights.

Haven't been as into the games for about 2 years now though because of the teams position. Not the same cheering for losing instead of winning but this year I will be cheering for wins all year because I am ready to have the kids lead the way.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Pvr everything

Go try and watch an NFL game on a Sunday without using a PVR lol.

Hockey isn't as bad because it's a lot of nonstop play, but I still pvr it if I'm going to watch the game.

Absolutely necessary for football though

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There is something about watching the game live, especially on Saturday night. Real or imagined, there's something about the sensation that everyone else who's a fan of the team is watching at the same time. A PVR'd game misses the pauses where consciously or unconsciously you're reacting to and thinking about the trends in the game. Whereas PVR'd television programs and fastforwarding through commercials actually improves the experience, watching a game in about an hour feels like it deadens the whole experience of the game.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I PVR all the games.

If you wait an hour to start watching and fast forward the commercials and don't watch any of the intermissions you will catch up to live by the end of the game.

Note: I always record for at least an hour per game afterwards, better add another hour and a half on top of that for opening night etc.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
I PVR all the games.

If you wait an hour to start watching and fast forward the commercials and don't watch any of the intermissions you will catch up to live by the end of the game.

Note: I always record for at least an hour per game afterwards, better add another hour and a half on top of that for opening night etc.

Very smart idea. I kid you not, I once recorded a raptors game that went into overtime, and the recording stopped at the very last second during a buzzer-beater shot to end the game.....lol.....I definitely should have recorded next scheduled programming as well.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
[/B]
Very smart idea. I kid you not, I once recorded a raptors game that went into overtime, and the recording stopped at the very last second during a buzzer-beater shot to end the game.....lol.....I definitely should have recorded next scheduled programming as well.

I always record for at least an hour past the scheduled time. Way more for playoffs.

I think that's a pretty big flaw on behalf of Rogers and other TV companies.

While rare, sometimes serious injuries delay the game for quite a while... or it'll take them a long time to replace some broken glass or whatever. So better safe than sorry... doesn't cost anything to record extra stuff and then just delete it afterwards.

But if I'm able to watch it live, I just watch it live. I often end up pausing the game anyways for whatever reason and catching up during the intermissions/commercials. So I probably use the live TV pause more than actually recording the full game.

Sometimes if I'm coming home late and want to watch the game before going to sleep, I'll even fast forward the icings. You can get through a game pretty quickly with your fingers on the remote.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
I'll pause if needed and then fast forward through commercials/intermissions (unless I want to see hot stove lounge) but I wouldn't intentionally record and then start 30 min - 1 hour late. It kind of messes things up because then you can't look at Twitter, Facebook or HFBoards without getting the score and ruining the game.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I see the point of those who prefer to watch the game live and probably count myself among them.

But the PVR is a godsend, especially for people with young families, where it's all but impossible to carve out three hours of uninterrupted TV viewing from 7-10 three times a week. If it wasn't for the PVR, I would have missed every 1st period in the last six years!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Pvr everything

Go try and watch an NFL game on a Sunday without using a PVR lol.

Hockey isn't as bad because it's a lot of nonstop play, but I still pvr it if I'm going to watch the game.

Absolutely necessary for football though

If you have Sunday Ticket, there's always a game on. No need to watch commercials. Although, a lot of hard work went into those commercials, so give em a chance!

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I can't believe anyone watches a game in real time. You can easily get at least an hour of your life back by PVRing and skipping over a lot of the non sense. In fact, I often watch Saturday night games on Sunday morning while running on the treadmill.

I'll even take it one step further. There is a great web-site called shouldiwatch.com. There are different options, but you can tell without knowing the score if any team you follow won or lost the night before. You can set a filter for the number of goals. For example did they win or lose by 3 goals etc. It has saved me from watching a lot of stinkers over the years. Highly recommend

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Absolutely love PVRing sports. Have for years. Watch a couple games in less time than a live game.

Also add at least 1 hr for reg season NHL of JrA games.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I do the 30min/fast-forward thing sometimes. Works like a charm for skipping all the unnecessary commercials and commentary. The panel is generally the deciding factor, which means usually Sportsnet games.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I can't believe anyone watches a game in real time. You can easily get at least an hour of your life back by PVRing and skipping over a lot of the non sense. In fact, I often watch Saturday night games on Sunday morning while running on the treadmill.

I'll even take it one step further. There is a great web-site called shouldiwatch.com. There are different options, but you can tell without knowing the score if any team you follow won or lost the night before. You can set a filter for the number of goals. For example did they win or lose by 3 goals etc. It has saved me from watching a lot of stinkers over the years. Highly recommend

I get a lot of texts during games which can spoil things. Then for football I have money on the line, so tough to be behind. Twitter is also problematic for PVRing games. But if you're willing to be shut out from the outside world, it can be beneficial.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll pause if needed and then fast forward through commercials/intermissions (unless I want to see hot stove lounge) but I wouldn't intentionally record and then start 30 min - 1 hour late. It kind of messes things up because then you can't look at Twitter, Facebook or HFBoards without getting the score and ruining the game.

Why would you want to do any of those things if you're sitting and watching a game?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Why would you want to do any of those things if you're sitting and watching a game?

I think I'm as incredulous that people can just sit there and watch a sporting event for 2-3 hours while doing nothing else as other people in this topic are that people watch sporting events live.

Hell I had to go back to (semi) cable because Gamecenter/MLB.TV lag so far behind I kept getting stuff spoiled.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think I'm as incredulous that people can just sit there and watch a sporting event for 2-3 hours while doing nothing else as other people in this topic are that people watch sporting events live.

Hell I had to go back to (semi) cable because Gamecenter/MLB.TV lag so far behind I kept getting stuff spoiled.

Why do you need to do something else? Why not just watch the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad