OT: PVR'ing the game

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How many of you actually PVR games then start watching 30min-1 hour later? I wonder if that's a viable way to watch the games. I want to skip through all the commercials and the intermissions for the most part. Also, let's say the game actually ends at 10 when would it end on your PVR? 15 minutes later? or more? or less? I am just wondering because I got a PVR box for the first time very recently, I just want to know if this is a good way to watch at least some of the games.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i only PVR when i'm away. don't do it for every game cause i like watching it live and enjoy commenting on GDTs.

when you are recording through a PVR, the end time can be adjusted. usually if the game is scheduled for 7-10, then the PVR will record for this specific time unless you go in and manually change the end time to 10:30 or 11 which is what i do so i don't miss OTs/shootouts if it were to happen.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
i only PVR when i'm away. don't do it for every game cause i like watching it live and enjoy commenting on GDTs.

when you are recording through a PVR, the end time can be adjusted. usually if the game is scheduled for 7-10, then the PVR will record for this specific time unless you go in and manually change the end time to 10:30 or 11 which is what i do so i don't miss OTs/shootouts if it were to happen.

Yes, I do know that.

That's why I wanted to know you guys' opinion to help me decide if I should do that or not.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I PVR everything and skip the commercials including Leaf games. You can actually watch 3 periods non stop back to back by skipping the talking heads during the intermissions.

Works great for overlapping games or when I'm watching junior or Marlies games at the same time. Or like the recent WJC selection tournament where games always overlap so I PVR them all and then watch them on my schedule.

Works great for NFL football as well with all the delays between plays and if your following 2 games at the same time to go back and 4th watching both quarter by quarter.

All TV shows are done this way as well.

Once you do this, you will never go back to watching in real time again.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I PVR everything and skip the commercials including Leaf games. You can actually watch 3 periods non stop back to back by skipping the talking heads during the intermissions.

Works great for overlapping games or when I'm watching junior or Marlies games at the same time.

Works great for NFL football as well with all the delays between plays and if your following 2 games at the same time to go back and 4th watching both quarter by quarter.

All TV shows are done this way as well.

Once you do this, you will never go back to watching in real time again.

When do you start watching? After the game is already over? Or 30 min- 1 hour after puck drop?

Jun 27, 2005
PVRing sports or pretty well everything is the only way to watch them. You just start watching the game an hour or so later, fast forward through all the crap and be done with the game in about an hour.

I do not understand why people would waste an hour of their time watching commercials and intermission breaks. Over the course of a season it works out to at least 80 hours of saved time just for Leaf games imagine how much time you will save if you PVR everything.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I do it al the time, just because games start at 5pm here with the time change and I need to walk the dog after work... I enjoy being able to skip through the intermission and stuff.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When do you start watching? After the game is already over? Or 30 min- 1 hour after puck drop?

For Leaf games if you delayed 30 minutes from puck drop you would skip the entire 1st period intermission because by the time you would get to end of the 1st period (minus all commercials by FF through them) the 1st period intermission in real time would be complete and you could fast forward right to the start of the 2nd period uninterrupted.

I generally watch the beginning of the Leafs game in real time while I'm PVRing at the same time, which is buying time for some prime time shows to be PVR at the same time.

Then I can stop go have dinner with the family and come right back to my game where I left off watching and FF on through to the end.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many of you actually PVR games then start watching 30min-1 hour later? I wonder if that's a viable way to watch the games. I want to skip through all the commercials and the intermissions for the most part. Also, let's say the game actually ends at 10 when would it end on your PVR? 15 minutes later? or more? or less? I am just wondering because I got a PVR box for the first time very recently, I just want to know if this is a good way to watch at least some of the games.

I PVR every game. I skip all the commercials and about half (or more if SportsNet) of the between periods stuff. I set the PVR to continue recording 45 min after the scheduled end of the game. They almost never end in the scheduled time. My PVR stops when scheduled. Yours may be different. If I don't tell it too continue I will lose the end of the game. Learned that the hard way. :madfire:

Control is good. I choose what to replay or FF over. It leaves me out of touch with HF and the GDT. It may not be for everybody but I'm happy doing it this way.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I PVR Leafs games too. Since it's not on TSN anymore I have no interest in the intermission stuff.

But another advantage to it is if a game is going very poorly for the Leafs, like they're down 3-0 after the first and the game is frustrating, I'll just start fast forwarding and watch the score box for any change and then I'll rewind and watch from there. Sometimes I start fast forwarding and next thing you know the game is over because they laid a stinker, and I feel great that I only wasted half an hour instead of 3 :)

This season I'll be watching the majority of the games though, even if they're losing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PVRing sports or pretty well everything is the only way to watch them. You just start watching the game an hour or so later, fast forward through all the crap and be done with the game in about an hour.

I do not understand why people would waste an hour of their time watching commercials and intermission breaks. Over the course of a season it works out to at least 80 hours of saved time just for Leaf games imagine how much time you will save if you PVR everything.

You can get it down to an art once you have mastered it.. I can watch my Leafs in full on PVR and while its recording and during intermissions catch other PVR shows also being recorded.

So you end up watching the Leafs game & Big Bang Theory and Greys Anatomy(or whatever you like) all overlapped in the 3 hours that a the Leafs game runs live by flipping back and forth and fast forwarding through commercials and stops and intermissions.

In fact I sit down and plan out my entire evening everyday by sometimes PVRing 3 or 4 shows or live sporting events simultaneously, and because I live on the west coast have a 3hr time change the Leafs game begins at 4pm PST my time and east coast prime time shows at 5 pm.

So unlike Leaf fans based in EST and waiting until 7-7:30 for games to begin by the time its 7:pm on the west coast for me I've already watched the Leafs game and a couple of fav prime time shows as well using intermissions and commercial free viewing to my advantage for all and not missing a minute of anything.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I PVR every game. I skip all the commercials and about half (or more if SportsNet) of the between periods stuff. I set the PVR to continue recording 45 min after the scheduled end of the game. They almost never end in the scheduled time. My PVR stops when scheduled. Yours may be different. If I don't tell it too continue I will lose the end of the game. Learned that the hard way. :madfire:

Control is good. I choose what to replay or FF over. It leaves me out of touch with HF and the GDT. It may not be for everybody but I'm happy doing it this way.

My question is, how long after actual puck drop do you start watching? I don't want to start watching too soon and catch up to live after all the FF.

I will try this today with the Jays game and see how I like it.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
If you're PVRing the game, be sure to turn off your cell phone. If you're a die hard sports fan, there's a decent chance one of your friends is too, and they WILL leak out the spoilers!!!!!

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
How do you influence the scoreboard/outcome with your cheering or cursing if you're not watching it live????

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Every game. It's rare that I can carve out time from 7-10. Family is usually busy with other things and unfortunately I am the only hockey fan in the house so I get the tv from 9 p.m. onward. Sometimes I will start watching an hour after the start and it's worth skipping the commercials. Live is reserved for west coast games (even then I will watch the recording the next day if I am up early) and playoffs I watch live, so I haven't done much of that over the last decade:(.

(If you start watching at the start of the second period ( and don't fast forward during game time) you will catch up to the live broadcast near the end of the third, so you get the benefit of the excitement of the live experience after all.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well I use Gamecenter, so I often watch 1-3 games the day after. It allows you to skip the intermissions, but it's not flawless. For example, I've often found myself watching a game in the late third, one team up by one goal, but since I can see that there is a lot left of the stream then I know the other team will equalize and things will head into overtime. Gamecenter is quite good at randomly showing results too, which is beyond annoying.

People know better than to spoil results to me by now, so that part is easy.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Depends on your schedule.

I have to wake up at 5am, so I watch it live.

If I didn't have to wake up, much like Saturday night games, sometimes I PVR it to watch it at a later time, and burn through the commercials, especially if a UFC is on.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
If I'm home there's no way I'll sit around and twindle my thumbs to PVR the game. I'll watch.

But I find when I have late classes the PVR it's almost better. Rip through commercials/intermissions and only get the game action.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
I generally watch the beginning of the Leafs game in real time while I'm PVRing at the same time, which is buying time for some prime time shows to be PVR at the same time.

Then I can stop go have dinner with the family and come right back to my game where I left off watching and FF on through to the end.

This is my approach also. I'll make supper while recording the pre game nonsense, then eat and watch while getting caught up to 'live' by the end of the first period, at which point you maybe can tell if it's a good game or not. Watch Coach's Corner live, then bail and do something else with my evening. Come back a couple hours later, or the next morning, and blow through it all.

Although we won't have to skip Healy's comments every stoppage this year, so maybe live will be a more tempting option...probably not. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad