OT: PVR'ing the game

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Because I enjoy using the internet? And I certainly enjoy it more than actively avoiding it for hours at a time for many times a year so I can watch semi-delayed sports in peace.

As I learned when I cut cable, I generally instead took the alternative of just watching no sports at all (which honestly probably wasn't the worst thing for me).

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The last time I PVR'd a Leafs game was the Boston game seven debacle because it was my 25th wedding anniversary. I almost wish that had of been spoiled for me to spare the pain of watching it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe anyone watches a game in real time. You can easily get at least an hour of your life back by PVRing and skipping over a lot of the non sense. In fact, I often watch Saturday night games on Sunday morning while running on the treadmill.

I'll even take it one step further. There is a great web-site called shouldiwatch.com. There are different options, but you can tell without knowing the score if any team you follow won or lost the night before. You can set a filter for the number of goals. For example did they win or lose by 3 goals etc. It has saved me from watching a lot of stinkers over the years. Highly recommend

I don't always mind commercial breaks and intermission. Gives you time to get a beer, take a piss, get a bite to eat, etc.

I often watch games in front of a computer or with my phone, so I can go online and do something during commercials and intermission. It's not like I just sit down for 3 consecutive hours every game.

The should I watch site sound cool though. Might be good for when I miss games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because I enjoy using the internet? And I certainly enjoy it more than actively avoiding it for hours at a time for many times a year so I can watch semi-delayed sports in peace.

As I learned when I cut cable, I generally instead took the alternative of just watching no sports at all (which honestly probably wasn't the worst thing for me).

I was just curious.

When I watch a game, go to a movie/concert or having dinner I just enjoy what's in front of me.

To each their own I guess.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
How many of you actually PVR games then start watching 30min-1 hour later? I wonder if that's a viable way to watch the games. I want to skip through all the commercials and the intermissions for the most part. Also, let's say the game actually ends at 10 when would it end on your PVR? 15 minutes later? or more? or less? I am just wondering because I got a PVR box for the first time very recently, I just want to know if this is a good way to watch at least some of the games.

If I'm not home I will PVR a game or just watch it later on LeafsTV.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So I have been watching the last 4 Jays games on PVR, and I still don't know how I feel about it. It just feels so unusual. Its something that needs to get used to as I have been watching TV live for many years before literally this past weekend.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So I have been watching the last 4 Jays games on PVR, and I still don't know how I feel about it. It just feels so unusual. Its something that needs to get used to as I have been watching TV live for many years before literally this past weekend.

You'll get used to it. I can't imagine watching tv any other way.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
If you have Sunday Ticket, there's always a game on. No need to watch commercials. Although, a lot of hard work went into those commercials, so give em a chance!

Yup, you're right and I do this from time to time. If it's a night game though, good luck.

Sunday night and Monday night football are almost unwatchable lol

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If the game is important, playoffs, game 7, etc. There is no way I PVR it unless there is no way I can watch it live.

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
Yeah, that's how I watch most games. I usually start 45-60 minutes after the programming time start, so I might have a 40+ minute lead on when the game starts, which is usually enough to skip all commercials and intermissions when counting pausing, rewinding, etc. I make an exception for some important games that I want to watch live or discuss with other people.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The wife and I do this for every show we watch but for sports I watch it live and suffer through the commercials

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I used to do this when I had cable. Was able to save so much mor etime and watch so much more hockey especially in 2010.

I don't watch much now but it's on a Kodi stream from one of the on-demand addons where I can skip the intermissions. Wish there was a way to PVR a live Kodi/Youtube stream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad