Put Gardiner with Reilly Experiment

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Since Babcock is in the change spirit with his changes to PP units. This would be the time of the year to experiment with other changes getting ready for deadline and eventual playoffs.

I think it would be wise for the Leafs to try Gardiner with Reilly. I don't really care who plays which side in that pairing, but I want to see if it works.

Lets try out these pairings for a 10 game stretch to see what we have prior to deadline:

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

Thoughts?

Reactions: Slyfox

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Not saying it’s the right thing to do, but Babcock prefers to keep a more reserved and defensive orientated defensemen with an offensive d-man on the pairings. I highly doubt he would break that trend going forward.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It was tried years ago and it did okay. The small problem with this is that it puts all your eggs in one basket. Hainsey and Oz would probably be disastrous because they are both a lumbering skaters.

This is what I would do.

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Ozhiganov
Hainsey - Zaitsev

We really need a defenseman.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
All evidence points to it working really well, I wish they'd roll with it full-time. Plus Dermott is ready to be in the top-4 and this would allow him to do so.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I would rather see Zaitsev with Rielly and Hainsey with Gardiner.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It was tried years ago and it did okay. The small problem with this is that it puts all your eggs in one basket. Hainsey and Oz would probably be disastrous because they are both a lumbering skaters.

Hainsey-Oz pairing would be used sparingly and for PK duties where applicable.

No reason why you cant roll with top 2 pairs for 25+ min a night, all are almost there anyways with Dermott being the exception and he should be.

From what I remember both Reilly-Gardiner played really well together in the short time it was tried. They may not be the toughest of pairings, but together with their speed, exits and passing it will keep the opposing forecheck at a minimum and provide more quality scoring chances.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would rather see Zaitsev with Rielly and Hainsey with Gardiner.

Defeats the purpose if Dermott who is your 3rd best defenseman is only still getting 3rd pairing minutes.

How about this:

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Hainsey
Rosen-Zaitsev

Oz

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
All evidence points to it working really well, I wish they'd roll with it full-time. Plus Dermott is ready to be in the top-4 and this would allow him to do so.

Is it a small sample size? Can you recall them playing a full game together? What about a stretch of 5 games?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Defeats the purpose if Dermott who is your 3rd best defenseman is only still getting 3rd pairing minutes.

How about this:

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Hainsey
Rosen-Zaitsev

Oz

Not really. There's nothing wrong with Dermott playing the bottom 6. Someone has to support Oz.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

How about this:

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Hainsey
Rosen-Zaitsev

Oz

Dermott has been having a bit of a rough time the last little bit (which is normal for his first full season). He's fine on the third pairing this season with Gardiner likely gone next season IMHO.

Reactions: meng666

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't see the point in pairing Rielly with Gardiner regularly. They're already the team's two biggest point producing and minute munching d-men as is. Better to balance things out more and have offensive threats on multiple pairs (and lines). Imagine Dubas will be looking to add some depth on defence anyway.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Based on what?

Average amount of minutes played per game!!! He's averaging a touch over 17 min a game when Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Hainsey are all over 20 min a game.

3 min may not seem that big of a difference but that at least 4 extra shift a game for him and 4 less for a Hainsey. We can use Hainsey more on PK and in dire situations with fresh legs at his age.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Don't see the point in pairing Rielly with Gardiner regularly. They're already the team's two biggest point producing and minute munching d-men as is. Better to balance things out more and have offensive threats on multiple pairs (and lines). Imagine Dubas will be looking to add some depth on defence anyway.

Its not so much for giving them more minutes. Its more about giving your 3rd best defenseman more minutes in Dermott. If the Leafs intend to let Gardiner walk at the end of the season, it will be Dermott that is expected to fill his hole left. Why not start using him this way this season. He not only helps the team being on the ice more, but is better groomed for his eventual role anyways. You can shelter him like Reilly was the past 2 years with Hainsey if they want. But in the end having him play 3+ less minutes a night isn't whats best for his development and for the team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Whatever experiment is tried it must be tested on Saturday night against Boston which is our real 1st round test.

I'd like to see us play Tavares - Matty - Marner with Rielly - Gards and really load up to try to blow the bruins out. Completely put it down to the floor and try to crush them real bad. And don't let up blast the heat.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Its not so much for giving them more minutes. Its more about giving your 3rd best defenseman more minutes in Dermott. If the Leafs intend to let Gardiner walk at the end of the season, it will be Dermott that is expected to fill his hole left. Why not start using him this way this season. He not only helps the team being on the ice more, but is better groomed for his eventual role anyways. You can shelter him like Reilly was the past 2 years with Hainsey if they want. But in the end having him play 3+ less minutes a night isn't whats best for his development and for the team.

Dermott's getting there. His average ice time, as fifth best for the D, is closer to Hainsey at #4 than Marincin at #6. He's only just played the equivalent of a full regular season's worth of games. I'd guess Dermott will be on the 2nd pairing for good going into next season. Which side he plays and who his complement is are the questions left to be answered.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Average amount of minutes played per game!!! He's averaging a touch over 17 min a game when Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Hainsey are all over 20 min a game.

3 min may not seem that big of a difference but that at least 4 extra shift a game for him and 4 less for a Hainsey. We can use Hainsey more on PK and in dire situations with fresh legs at his age.

That is not what I'm talking about, but we are derailing the conversation.

The evidence from your stopwatch doesn't make any difference.

Keep in mind that I really like Dermott.

The most direct response to your suggestion is that Gardiner gets those minutes on the 2nd pairing. Until he moves on to another team, he will probably always take minutes away from Dermott.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Offensive upside here is WILD. The problem to me becomes how does Dermott play with Zaitsev? Gardiner has to carry him to decency and Zaitsev still can't justify a 4.5M cap hit. With Dermott he may get even worse. I'd like to see Rielly-Dermott however to see how Dermott responds to top competition so we have a clearer idea of what to do with Gardiner over the off season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
OZ is turning into a better player than Z. Z is much too soft.
Dermott will be fine with whoever they play him with. A defensive dmen would be best so Hainsey for now.
Gards will be gone next year so lets trade him and our 1st round pick for a defensive upgrade so we get something for him to help us beat Boston. Whoever we get goes with Rielly and plays 30 minutes a night. Need size speed toughness and defensive skills. A hockey trade.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Offensive upside here is WILD. The problem to me becomes how does Dermott play with Zaitsev? Gardiner has to carry him to decency and Zaitsev still can't justify a 4.5M cap hit. With Dermott he may get even worse. I'd like to see Rielly-Dermott however to see how Dermott responds to top competition so we have a clearer idea of what to do with Gardiner over the off season.

this would be a key part of the experiment - does Zaitsev end up being able to cope in a smaller and easier role on a pairing with Dermott, as Mo/Jake increase the top-pair's role?

I think it's worth trying out to see what Zaitsev is. If he goes under without Jake, even with lighter duty, then we're probably in trouble.....but then again, at least we would know one way or the other exactly what Zaitsev is and what we should do with him going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad