Put Gardiner with Reilly Experiment

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We've seen him try it more lately when were trailing in game. He recognizes that it does spur offence. I think we will see it more if we get another D before the playoffs. if you top load our D, the rest gets a bit bleak outside of dermott.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
this would be a key part of the experiment - does Zaitsev end up being able to cope in a smaller and easier role on a pairing with Dermott, as Mo/Jake increase the top-pair's role?

I think it's worth trying out to see what Zaitsev is. If he goes under without Jake, even with lighter duty, then we're probably in trouble.....but then again, at least we would know one way or the other exactly what Zaitsev is and what we should do with him going forward.
Good points. Only thing I have to say is if we are trying to trade Zaitsev (Let's hope we are) then he will look more like a NHL capable defenseman beside Gardiner while we find out if Dermott has top pairing potential.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Good points. Only thing I have to say is if we are trying to trade Zaitsev (Let's hope we are) then he will look more like a NHL capable defenseman beside Gardiner while we find out if Dermott has top pairing potential.

true.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I honestly feel Gardiner has less defensive upside then Dermott.

Which means pairing Dermott with Zaitsev may very well make Zaitsev a better player. I just don't buy that Gardiner is being hindered by Zaitsev. I think its the other way around.

So you ask why pair Gardiner with Reilly? Because it means Gardiner doesn't need to carry the puck out of his zone as much because Reilly will be the primary guy. Gardiner is better suited as a secondary guy. With Zaitsev he is the primary guy but has way more defensive flaws. Dermott being better defensively will raise Zaitsev's game and value around the league and with the Leafs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Looks like most have Gardiner on right side. (or maybe that's just a listing thing?)

Given Jake's decision making challenges as it is, I would not move him to the unfamiliar right side.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like most have Gardiner on right side. (or maybe that's just a listing thing?)

Given Jake's decision making challenges as it is, I would not move him to the unfamiliar right side.

Can't possibly be any worst than lumbering and "whoops I didn't clear the puck" Ron Hainsey, right?

At this point, it's almost insulting that Hainsey is still playing so high in the lineup... but Babcock knows best.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I really don't care who plays the right in the Reilly-Gardiner pairing. As SprDaVE mentioned it is an upgrade to a Reilly-Hainsey pairing regardless.

With how Hainsey looked in the playoffs last season, he is showing age and slowing down. When he is on his game he is useful. But when he is not, he's not any better then a #5 or #6 dman. Being slotted where he is, is wasting his efforts and prominence where it is needed most and that is the PK. Hainsey should be used as we used Polak last season. 3rd pair minutes and the PK. This will save his legs for playoffs and give others the opportunity to play more minutes as they should.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Gards can't pivot to his right at speed skating backwards. So he has to play on the left side. He never learned how to do it as a kid and because he never played defense until he was an adult it is very hard to learn. Kinda of like learning a new language. The earlier you learn it the easier it is to do it.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Can't possibly be any worst than lumbering and "whoops I didn't clear the puck" Ron Hainsey, right?

At this point, it's almost insulting that Hainsey is still playing so high in the lineup... but Babcock knows best.

Rielly-Dermott
Gards-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

I don't know how this hasn't been tried out for at least 1 period.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

really, the strength of that pair would be the ability of each of them to switch sides interchangeably, and not really worry about who ends up where.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Hainsey and Oz would get murdered unless they were playing like 10 minutes per night.
Start em in the O-Zone for the most part (easy enough to do) and both are defensively capable. You'd have to change the breakouts when they are on the ice because their stretch passes are terrible. I personally think Marincin-Oz would turn out pretty good but Hainsey still has value to our team just not on the 1st pairing.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Start em in the O-Zone for the most part (easy enough to do) and both are defensively capable. You'd have to change the breakouts when they are on the ice because their stretch passes are terrible. I personally think Marincin-Oz would turn out pretty good but Hainsey still has value to our team just not on the 1st pairing.

There is no way you give Hainsey and Oz offensive zone starts lol. It'd be a total waste. Hainsey shouldn't even be in the lineup if we're being honest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rielly and Gardiner are both LHD so Babcock prefers to play them on their strong side on a Dcore that is already questionable in strength.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
There is no way you give Hainsey and Oz offensive zone starts lol. It'd be a total waste. Hainsey shouldn't even be in the lineup if we're being honest.
I hate Hainsey and Zaitsev for the Leafs as much as the next guy but you need to find a way to get Hainsey TOI down. If, to give him rest, the leafs should make the pairings
Rielly-Dermott
Gards-Zaitsev
Marincin-Oz
Then it's fine by me. But Hainsey should be in our lineup come playoff time. He's proven to have defensive value and lets Rielly do all of the offense.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I hate Hainsey and Zaitsev for the Leafs as much as the next guy but you need to find a way to get Hainsey TOI down. If, to give him rest, the leafs should make the pairings
Rielly-Dermott
Gards-Zaitsev
Marincin-Oz
Then it's fine by me. But Hainsey should be in our lineup come playoff time. He's proven to have defensive value and lets Rielly do all of the offense.

I don't see Hainsey's defensive value these days tbh. Our penalty kill has been mediocre, not all on him but that's what his main function was supposed to be and we've all seen his issues at even strength. Dermott would be a way more interesting partner to me and then you could have Holl or Marincin play with Oz on the 3rd pairing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly and Gardiner are both LHD so Babcock prefers to play them on their strong side on a Dcore that is already questionable in strength.

Hainsey is LHD.... sooooo........................... how do you explain that one?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I don't see Hainsey's defensive value these days tbh. Our penalty kill has been mediocre, not all on him but that's what his main function was supposed to be and we've all seen his issues at even strength. Dermott would be a way more interesting partner to me and then you could have Holl or Marincin play with Oz on the 3rd pairing.
He seems to be at his best defending 2 on 1 rushes and he has looked better than ever at doing this year. Rushes are the most dangerous chances after all. I've been begging all year to see Rielly-Derms

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm in the "try Dermott" camp - I think he's the mould of player that would let Rielly join the rush more often and appears to be a lot better than Gardiner at suppression and getting the puck back in our zone. It would be nice to know what we have in him as well, though maybe waiting until after july 1st lets you re-sign him at a better AAV before you give him this ammo assuming it works

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hainsey is LHD.... sooooo........................... how do you explain that one?

Necessity.

Leafs RHD is so weak that it already requires someone to play on their weak side.

I hate to imagine if we used Zaitsev, Ozzy and Holl as RHD.

Leafs LHD is its strength and can imagine Babcock is too interested in weakening it by moving Gardiner to his weak side.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

In fact, we could probably make a good argument that the type of LHD that should play on the right side are the more skilled and better skating ones, not the limited ones like Hainsey who have less time and fewer options on how they get the puck out of their zone.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad