Put a massive athlete on skates

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
JJ Watt would end people's lives. 6'5. 290 pounds. And he can play.

Thankfully for most NHL players the ease of a guy that big to sack the QB limits the amount of time and effort he’d probably put into developing the skating speed and agility he’d need to be a high pick and justify passing on football. They’d have to actually call any borderline check against a player like that so people don’t end up with fractured neck or vertebrae

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Guys, JJ Watt wouldn't be 290lbs if he played pro hockey. He'd be a monster for sure but you couldn't supply enough oxygen to such a muscle mass in a hockey game. He'd be completely gassed very early every game on if he carried that size in the NHL.

Watt was originally a 245 pound tight end coming out of high school and once he transferred to Wisconsin, they turned him into a monster. (Wisconsin has one of the best s&c programs in the country) His little brother T.J. is more of the body type we would have seen if he stuck with hockey. He still would have been huge lol.

Reactions: PM

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'd say we just cut to the chase and just go big, really big, and crazy. Get a 500lb gorilla, slap a jersey on them, and let them loose on the ice. Forget skates, forget skating, just teach them to hate anyone wearing an opposing team's jersey.

After the first opposing player gets their arm ripped off, I'm willing to bet team gorilla has an unobstructed path to the net for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Imagine every small forward in the nba being born in Saskatchewan and be wildly impressed by a team worth of more athletic charas.

Imagine Lebron on skates. Arguably a thicker version of Chara, estimates that he has played nba games at 275. With freakish footwork. Yikes.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If you taught young Lebron hockey instead of basketball he’d be a monster. Dude is 6’8 250 and a freak athlete. He’s pretty massive but I’m not sure if he fits your criteria

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Lebron James would be a force to be reckon with in hockey. He's not only extremely fast and agile for his size, but he also has a great mind for sport (he would be the type to have high "hockey IQ").

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Guys, JJ Watt wouldn't be 290lbs if he played pro hockey. He'd be a monster for sure but you couldn't supply enough oxygen to such a muscle mass in a hockey game. He'd be completely gassed very early every game on if he carried that size in the NHL.

George Laraque’s weight has been listed from 250 to 273 lbs range depending on the year. So, it’s possible to put a guy of that size on the ice. John Scott listed at 270 and Steve McIntyre was 265.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I know he wasn't huge but definitely one of, if not the strongest, fastest, purest athletes ever...

Would be scary to see him if he had dedicated his life to hockey.

behind-the-swoosh-the-anatomy-of-nikes-bo-knows-campaign-00.jpg

For the younger crowd... his name is Bo!

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
The thought of anyone being anywhere near making the NHL these days starting the sport as an adult is completely unrealistic. It would take serious commitment to be a factor at your average beer league level, no matter what the base athleticism is. Hockey takes such a specific and non-practical skillset that just isn't transferable between other sports.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
What about weight and skates? I mean what are they like rated for? I mean if you had 300 lbs+ guys just making sharp cuts and all that would the blades not just snap off from the force and weight of these guys?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Most of these big guys wouldn't have the coordination and skill to play hockey at a high level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad