Post-Game Talk: Pulju and Campbell ugh, Kostin hurt

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Im not a huge stat guy. I look at them obviously but don't hang my hat on them. Give Nemo a real close look next few times he is in the lineup. He's progressing at a nice rate as well. Im a fan of both honestly. Nemos puck skills were basically icing when he first came in. Vastly improved. If Bouch was making the strides these guys are we would be in a much better place. Maybe Bouch is in a small plateau and will take a jump again soon. He hasnt been great this year.

Bouch seems to be going through slight sophomore slump, but his performance in the playoffs last year shows what he's capable of when his game is on. He's proven to be more consistent than Nemo and Broberg and isn't as injury prone.

Nemo is a good depth defeseman but when healthy Broberg is the much better option. Stats aside even the eye test corroborates this. He's much better positionally, is the much better skater; I realize Nemo won the fastest skater in the Oilers skill comp but in game their not comparable. All you have to do is watch when Broberg foiled what looked like a for sure 2 on 1 around the 14:25 mark in the 2nd period. He got to one player on the left half wall and was able to make up enough ground with his lightning quick speed to disrupt Gustafsson in front of the blue paint after receiving cross ice pass. Moving the puck isn't debatable either, Broberg ability to move the puck is probably second only to Bouchard. In all honesty the only time Nemo gets in to replace Broberg is when Broberg is injured.

Reactions: ZJuice

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I don't even live in manitoba anymore but come on... you guys are comparing the butthole of canada to the armpit of canada. It's like two foster children fighting about who's alcoholic dad beats them the hardest. If a player has winnipeg on their no trade list you can all but guarantee Edmonton is right there too not to mention both teams haven't won anything within a relevant recent time period

You forgot one thing. Edmonton has vast growing infrastructure. I've been living here (originally from Toronto) last 10 years and the changes have been substantial.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
3 sides of Winnipeg DT are surrounded by sketch.

I used to volunteer with a low-income housing society in the roughest parts of Edmonton. They had properties in Belvedere, Eastwood, Norwood and Boyle Street areas. I always kept my eyes open when I was at properties in these areas. Gotta be aware of your surroundings, but if you kept your sh*t wired tight you were ok.

I went to a wedding with an ex a few years back in Winnipeg. We stayed at the Fairmont. That neighbourhood in the middle of the day sketched me out far more than those tough neighbourhoods I used to volunteer in.

I've never felt unsafe in the middle of the day anywhere in Edmonton. Winnipeg? No thanks...

wtf is with that confusion corner?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I used to volunteer with a low-income housing society in the roughest parts of Edmonton. They had properties in Belvedere, Eastwood, Norwood and Boyle Street areas. I always kept my eyes open when I was at properties in these areas. Gotta be aware of your surroundings, but if you kept your sh*t wired tight you were ok.

I went to a wedding with an ex a few years back in Winnipeg. We stayed at the Fairmont. That neighbourhood in the middle of the day sketched me out far more than those tough neighbourhoods I used to volunteer in.

I've never felt unsafe in the middle of the day anywhere in Edmonton. Winnipeg? No thanks...

Yeah I worked in a lot of those areas. But nothing of that quite prepared me for whole areas of Winnipeg that are roll your windows up and lock doors and don't even slow down for anything. Never seen a Canadian city with such large areas of absolute difficulty. Not even Hastings that large. Most cities have some bad beltlines. Winnipeg has like Quadrants of it.

"Which Neighborhoods should I avoid" Half the freaking city..

This is incredible and if anybody thinks I'm making it up. Most cities have like a couple or few seedy areas. In Winnipeg its a whole long list of communities to completely avoid.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

Winnipeg has always been a rough town
With an amazing music scene

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
If not then Woody has gone plumb loco.

Summer in Edmonton is beautiful. Winnipeg is full of mosquitoes looking for an international airport to land at. Still circling…

lauging goodfellas.gif

Alright, maybe it's time we stop making fun of our little, old brother.

And since it's still the holiday season, maybe Edmonton should donate their old city center airport to Winnipeg along with Rexall center to Arizona.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Roll ‘em up

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Broberg has been doing better than Bouchard despite being younger and having less experience.

I get that prospects often dip in their second full year but it's getting hard to see how Bouchard is going to succeed at the pro level. Offensive defenseman that don't provide offense and can't keep the puck out of the net don't last.

Broberg just has to get a little better at what he's already doing and he's top 4 imo
One could make a point that Nemo and Broberg are both much better defensively than Bouch. All three have promise…dont know how much time we have to be patient

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As for confusion corner in Winnipeg oddly enough I didn't have trouble with that. Most times I got where I needed to be somehow. Maybe the signage used to be better..

The absolute worst I've ever experienced was approaching Seattle from the east after 12hrs driving. Its 11pm, tired, just want to hit a hotel and we can't find the right way to get to DT Seattle area. We kept taking turnouts we didn't want. They have this f***ing design where the main highway leading in starts being a 3 level deck invention from hell and if your not on the right deck level and take the wrong turn you're f***ed. Of course you have to keep changing lanes to avoid all the turnouts. I still don't get the schematic and if I had to do it again I'd be as f***ed as the first time. We had to detour back and forth 3X to get where we wanted to be. Ended up so late we just slept in the van next to a park somewhere (couldn't even tell you where) hoping the green River killer or something wasn't going to get us..

NEVER try to drive and Enter Seattle in the dark while tired. Truckers must hate it.

edit I just researched this and apparently the I-90 is much different and more navigable now. Couple decades ago it was a misdirection nightmare.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
As for confusion corner in Winnipeg oddly enough I didn't have trouble with that. Most times I got where I needed to be somehow. Maybe the signage used to be better..

The absolute worst I've ever experienced was approaching Seattle from the east after 12hrs driving. Its 11pm, tired, just want to hit a hotel and we can't find the right way to get to DT Seattle area. We kept taking turnouts we didn't want. They have this f***ing design where the main highway leading in starts being a 3 level deck invention from hell and if your not on the right deck level and take the wrong turn you're f***ed. Of course you have to keep changing lanes to avoid all the turnouts. I still don't get the schematic and if I had to do it again I'd be as f***ed as the first time. We had to detour back and forth 3X to get where we wanted to be. Ended up so late we just slept in the van next to a park somewhere (couldn't even tell you where) hoping the green River killer or something wasn't going to get us..

NEVER try to drive and Enter Seattle in the dark while tired. Truckers must hate it.

Seattle is one of the least truck friendly cities period.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

edit I just researched this and apparently the I-90 is much different and more navigable now. Couple decades ago it was a misdirection nightmare.
How are you with traffic circles?!🙂

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The best thing about Winnipeg is that even if we didn’t have Mcdavid it would still be the last destination any player in the league would want to play for.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Can we for the love of everything just try Holloway in the top 6.

Are we trying to boost Yamo and Pulj’s trade value??

Reactions: Sanchez

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I miss Saturdays with cartoons and these odd kind of things on. Afairc Rollerderby had this league and the Only Canadian team was based out of Winnipeg. It was pretty wild and wooley stuff. Skinny Minnie played for the LA team afairc. Its a sport that didn't take off but was trying to. The 70's seemed to be its halcyon and there were even movies about it.

She passed away a few years back. RIP. heres a video of her in action;

Absolute Gem!

I remember they had both men's and women's teams. Women were more of the stars. And not just because of... well.. you know!

Loved Rollerderby!

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
The best thing about Winnipeg is that even if we didn’t have Mcdavid it would still be the last destination any player in the league would want to play for.

Edmonton might be in the top-5 least desirable cities in the league to play in without McDavid, but hey at least we ain't Winnipeg.

That is just ... sad. Not saying you are wrong. But still sad.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not speculating, but, with the way he went down I feared the worst. Especially with other players immediately calling for assistance.
But
Seeing him get up and at least putting a little weight on it, that’s gotta be an encouraging sign.

Ya
You know what? Maybe it's been mentioned but for all we shitte on other players - watch Dylon Demelo (I think it was him) for his reaction.

Saw the play not even near it and was signaling / calling for attention immediately.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I like this Oil in Goal guy's analysis the day after games.

He makes sense to me.

Yeah, I get that you can't blame the goalie in a 2-1 loss. Team has to score more.

I understand this guy's criticism of Campbell's fundamentals. Are they reasonable concerns?

Reactions: frag2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kulak does about all he can do other than wrapping his arms around Connor. His job is to keep him outta the lane so the tender can see the puck and then box out or find a rebound. Hes defending a great player who comes over his back with an unreal deflection. Great hockey play. And other than knock him on his ass, Kulak does pretty well.
He does pretty well to improve his odds of taking a shot to the ole twig and berries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad