Post-Game Talk: Pulju and Campbell ugh, Kostin hurt

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Janmark is performing his role better than given credit for. He's like a bigger version of yamamoto and that covers more mileage and survives hits a lot better. He's been grease on pucks and competing and getting to a lot of open pucks which would otherwise be lost. He's not got filthy hands but he can produce some. All of Kostin, and Janmark can play and Nuge is very good at utilizing players that can. Janmark isn't a problem on this team. The problem is that we're paying PuljuMoto 6.1M to be not very much.

Yamamotor has been sputtering for most of the last two seasons. he got redhot in March of last season, somehow, but other than that has been cold. Strangely he got a big payday and with term.
I agree with everything you say here...I know Yams is liked in the room, and he's shown flashes, but we need what he brings with more size...like say Domi - I know he'd be on his off wing, but I think he'd be ok.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Do people honestly think Woodcroft wants JP on the 1st line? It's obviously a mandate by Holland to boost his trade value.

It's a horrible mandate that's probably hurting his trade value. He's the only player that has played on Mcdavid's wing that constantly puts up 0's across the board and is always killing the play in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Kerberos

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Do people honestly think Woodcroft wants JP on the 1st line? It's obviously a mandate by Holland to boost his trade value.
Not being able to produce with McDavid and actively handicapping him has the opposite effect though, surely.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
It's a horrible mandate that's probably hurting his trade value. He's the only player that has played on Mcdavid's wing that constantly puts up 0's across the board and is always killing the play in the offensive zone.
And when you say “the only player” I agree. Honestly anyone, including Ryan, Holloway, even Shore, would have developed more chemistry, contributed more to the line, and been a better choice than JP.

I dont dislike JP. But, get him where he belongs. Banging and crashing on the 4th line or on another team if thats what he wants.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Philip Broberg picked up where he left off defensively and played a solid game. It's no surprise Bouchard's game stabilized too. It's time Woody feeds the kid more minutes to see if he'll continue to deliver same results against a little tougher competition.

Indeed. I still have a gut feeling that if they move him for a 2LD rental, they’re going to regret it very soon. Need to know what they have with him.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Philip Broberg picked up where he left off defensively and played a solid game. It's no surprise Bouchard's game stabilized too. It's time Woody feeds the kid more minutes to see if he'll continue to deliver same results against a little tougher competition.
If you had to pick one or the other, Broberg or Nemo, to stick with and develop for the playoffs, which one do you take?

Its a tough one for me. Ive seen lots I like in both but honestly I think Nemo might be closer and more of what we need this season.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I don't even live in manitoba anymore but come on... you guys are comparing the butthole of canada to the armpit of canada. It's like two foster children fighting about who's alcoholic dad beats them the hardest. If a player has winnipeg on their no trade list you can all but guarantee Edmonton is right there too not to mention both teams haven't won anything within a relevant recent time period

This still? I guess we found a more insecure fanbase than the Leafs.

For millionaire athletes, the cities might still be somewhat comparable (as fairly undesirable), but to the average person, the choice is clear in that Edmonton is the more desirable locale. Is it a world class city? Not even close, but definitely closer than Winnipeg, which has mostly stagnated in the last 30 years vs Edmonton doubling in population.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
This still? I guess we found a more insecure fanbase than the Leafs.

For millionaire athletes, the cities might still be somewhat comparable (as fairly undesirable), but to the average person, the choice is clear in that Edmonton is the more desirable locale. Is it a world class city? Not even close, but definitely closer than Winnipeg, which has mostly stagnated in the last 30 years vs Edmonton doubling in population.
I dont live in either place, and obviously Regina isnt on anyones list either, but Ill gladly take Edmonton over Winnipeg any day of the week. Not even close!!!

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Indeed. I still have a gut feeling that if they move him for a 2LD rental, they’re going to regret it very soon. Need to know what they have with him.

This is so conflicting for me because there's a good chance he'll turn out exactly as you suggest. He's a very young Swedish defenseman that has solid defensive numbers. The eye test backs this up as well, kid's beating everybody to pucks, defending the blue paint and getting pucks on stick. He's also moving the puck well marked by one beautiful stretch pass to Foegele? and get's it through from the point.

It would be nice if he got a bit more ice time to see how high up the chain he can manage this level of play. Feels like Woody still holding that first shift in his first game against him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't even live in manitoba anymore but come on... you guys are comparing the butthole of canada to the armpit of canada. It's like two foster children fighting about who's alcoholic dad beats them the hardest. If a player has winnipeg on their no trade list you can all but guarantee Edmonton is right there too not to mention both teams haven't won anything within a relevant recent time period
Silly. Winnipeg is a spent location. The city version of a ghost town. Its importance based on past rather than present time. To wit you didn't even stay there, for sure few are going there or relocating there. You're trying to compare the place you lived to one of the most sought after places by migrants and immigrants. Edmonton and Alberta population % increases are high. Real high.

Within one Lifetime Winnipeg has gone from the 3rd most populous cities to an after thought. IN the same time Calgary and Edmonton are two of the fastest growing cities in Canada, even in North America. With the growth being constant, and still growing.

This is a fascinating visual display.

Shows how some Cities like Saskatoon or Winnipeg or London Ontario stagnated Whereas Edmonton and Calgary that weren't even in top ten grew in leaps and bounds. Stop it any time to get freeze frames of the numbers at any particular time. Just a great display of information.

Last edited:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
If you had to pick one or the other, Broberg or Nemo, to stick with and develop for the playoffs, which one do you take?

Its a tough one for me. Ive seen lots I like in both but honestly I think Nemo might be closer and more of what we need this season.

Broberg advanced metrics show he's playing much better in the same role. I like Nemo's physicality but besides that Broberg is the much better player overall.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I dont live in either place, and obviously Regina isnt on anyones list either, but Ill gladly take Edmonton over Winnipeg any day of the week. Not even close!!!

I’ve been to Winnipeg multiple times (have an uncle that lives there), and while there are nice things about the place like The Forks, French quarter, and the area him and his wife live around, overall it was a depressing place. Honestly enjoyed Saskatoon and Regina more for smaller cities.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Silly. Winnipeg is a spent location. The city version of a ghost town. Its importance based on past rather than present time. To wit you didn't even stay there, for sure few are going there or relocating there. You're trying to compare the place you lived to one of the most sought after places by migrants and immigrants. Edmonton and Alberta population % increases are high. Real high.

Within one Lifetime Winnipeg has gone from the 3rd most populous cities to an after thought. IN the same time Calgary and Edmonton are two of the fastest growing cities in Canada, even in North America. With the growth being constant, and still growing.

Exactly, and the debate between Edmonton vs Calgary actually makes sense not just because of province in common but also rates of growth, population etc.

Winnipeg is more comparable to even smaller cities like Regina, Saskatoon, or some in the maritimes, ex Halifax, all of which have more going for them per capita IMO (Halifax for example is a beautiful city with plenty of history and character that you don’t find much outside of the French quarter in Winnipeg). Other cities in Winnipeg’s weight class like Quebec City and Hamilton punch more above that weight class.

For such a historic city, Winnipeg mostly feels like a collection of people due to happenstance (largest city in one of the least populous continental provinces). Edmonton and Calgary are much younger and yet have historic character and modernity blended well and are surrounded by more interesting and diverse natural scapes (though I will also say that Oak Hammock Marsh is worth going out of your way to see and is nearby to Winnipeg).

This is only a discussion because some “brave” Jets fans decided to boast about a rare moment of civic pride. I could be mistaken but I don’t believe that any Oilers fans go around trolling other fanbases like this. It’s pretty sad

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I’m from Saskatoon. Edmonton is 600000x the city. Winnipeg & Saskatchewan are the real shit holes lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve been to Winnipeg multiple times (have an uncle that lives there), and while there are nice things about the place like The Forks, French quarter, and the area him and his wife live around, overall it was a depressing place. Honestly enjoyed Saskatoon and Regina more for smaller cities.
I like Saskatoon more as well. Winnipeg does has its spots. Forks, Assiniboine park, some neat areas of city but also lots and lots of dregs. Saskatoon is like Winnipeg without the headaches and worse areas of town. (although Saskatoon has some too now) 3 sides of Winnipeg DT are surrounded by sketch. Of course its also seen the decline even of the DT that plagues so many cities. However in Winnipeg you don't really have affluent suburbs, or not many.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I like Saskatoon more as well. Winnipeg does has its spots. Forks, Assiniboine park, some neat areas of city but also lots and lots of dregs. Saskatoon is like Winnipeg without the headaches and worse areas of town. (although Saskatoon has some too now) 3 sides of Winnipeg DT are surrounded by sketch. Of course its also seen the decline even of the DT that plagues so many cities. However in Winnipeg you don't really have affluent suburbs, or not many.
Winnipeg is a living museum of the old days as you drive through. Much like some if the photos you see of Kiev.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Broberg advanced metrics show he's playing much better in the same role. I like Nemo's physicality but besides that Broberg is the much better player overall.
Im not a huge stat guy. I look at them obviously but don't hang my hat on them. Give Nemo a real close look next few times he is in the lineup. He's progressing at a nice rate as well. Im a fan of both honestly. Nemos puck skills were basically icing when he first came in. Vastly improved. If Bouch was making the strides these guys are we would be in a much better place. Maybe Bouch is in a small plateau and will take a jump again soon. He hasnt been great this year.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Broberg has been doing better than Bouchard despite being younger and having less experience.

I get that prospects often dip in their second full year but it's getting hard to see how Bouchard is going to succeed at the pro level. Offensive defenseman that don't provide offense and can't keep the puck out of the net don't last.

Broberg just has to get a little better at what he's already doing and he's top 4 imo

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

8C8F335D-0D5D-4B48-8FC2-39240568F8CF.gif

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That sounds like the least Holland thing ever.
If not then Woody has gone plumb loco.

I don't even live in manitoba anymore but come on... you guys are comparing the butthole of canada to the armpit of canada. It's like two foster children fighting about whose alcoholic dad beats them the hardest. If a player has winnipeg on their no trade list you can all but guarantee Edmonton is right there too not to mention both teams haven't won anything within a relevant recent time period
Summer in Edmonton is beautiful. Winnipeg is full of mosquitoes looking for an international airport to land at. Still circling…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad