Post-Game Talk: Pulju and Campbell ugh, Kostin hurt

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I like this Oil in Goal guy's analysis the day after games.

He makes sense to me.

Yeah, I get that you can't blame the goalie in a 2-1 loss. Team has to score more.

I understand this guy's criticism of Campbell's fundamentals. Are they reasonable concerns?

On both goals it’s a pretty good analysis in my opinion.

1st one is spot on in a sense he beats the pass. Almost in this instance it’s similar to an off speed shot.

2nd I also get the analysis but the deflection happens 3 or so feet away. Campbell is committed to the original shot.

The first goal is the one he should have had but Pionk doesn’t get all of the shot either which hurts to an extent.

I think this is a game where goaltending didn’t lose it on our end. You have to score more than one and get one on the power play. It’s tough since we have lost some games because of our goaltending

Reactions: ujju2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’m from Saskatoon. Edmonton is 600000x the city. Winnipeg & Saskatchewan are the real shit holes lol
Saskatoon is my hometown too. Very proud to be from Toon Town and to grow up there. I still think it's an awesome smaller city though we joke that January is the longest four months of the year in Saskatoon.

Quite surprised to read such a negative opinion from someone with similar Sasky roots. Different strokes I guess...

Reactions: brentashton

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Silly. Winnipeg is a spent location. The city version of a ghost town. Its importance based on past rather than present time. To wit you didn't even stay there, for sure few are going there or relocating there. You're trying to compare the place you lived to one of the most sought after places by migrants and immigrants. Edmonton and Alberta population % increases are high. Real high.

Within one Lifetime Winnipeg has gone from the 3rd most populous cities to an after thought. IN the same time Calgary and Edmonton are two of the fastest growing cities in Canada, even in North America. With the growth being constant, and still growing.

This is a fascinating visual display.

Shows how some Cities like Saskatoon or Winnipeg or London Ontario stagnated Whereas Edmonton and Calgary that weren't even in top ten grew in leaps and bounds. Stop it any time to get freeze frames of the numbers at any particular time. Just a great display of information.

It really highlights the tiers of Canadian cities with:
> Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver reigning as God Tier
> Calgary, Edmo, Ottawa Elite
> Quebec City, Victoria & Halifax Good
> Winnipeg, Hamilton, Brampton, Mississauga, London, ... Whatever

It simply doesn't make sense to compare cities in completely different tiers. Like Victoria vs. Vancouver are really incomparable as 2 totally different beasts (apples to oranges comparison). Of course "where I'd like to live" is totally subjective. I'm certain some NHLers do enjoy Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary as such.

Note: Since late-70's the AB cities did clearly become the new HQ for the Prairies. Winnipeg was the old HQ like late 1800s to WWI.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm so sick of JP and Woodcroft's massive *** towards him. He's absolutely terrible and is completely screwing up the top line. I sound like a broken record but he really has zero chemistry and is not even close to a top line player. I kept whining to give Kostin a chance and now that ship has sailed. lol.

Reactions: frag2

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

I generally agree with your analysis. Your tiers for Canadian cities show the benefits of size for cities.

Metro area population more than 2 million people = Top Tier

Metro area population between 1 million people and 2 million people = Elite

Less than a million people = Whatever with a couple goods thrown in.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Watched this game while vacationing in Mexico... Unfortunate first goal, but this loss wasn't on Campbell since we couldn't score.

Losing Kostin hurts because that trade looks amazing right now. I'd like to sign an extension so we can count on him next year. Janmark and Puljujarvi are dead weight... Can't wait for Kane to come back - he's exactly the type of player this team needs and he made a massive impact at roughly the same time last year.

Let's go Oilers in 2023!!!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Watched this game while vacationing in Mexico... Unfortunate first goal, but this loss wasn't on Campbell since we couldn't score.

Losing Kostin hurts because that trade looks amazing right now. I'd like to sign an extension so we can count on him next year. Janmark and Puljujarvi are dead weight... Can't wait for Kane to come back - he's exactly the type of player this team needs and he made a massive impact at roughly the same time last year.

Let's go Oilers in 2023!!!
We won that Kostin trade regardless. Samorkov seemed like he was going to want out anyway. Kostin has already brought more to the club than Sammy would've ever brought.

With that being said, I'm not re-signing the guy unless it's a very small contract. There is too much risk to invest too much into a guy with his resume.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Geez I didn't realize how many points McDavid had until I saw the leaders for us against Seattle. Almost 3x the points of Burakovsky

Reactions: tardigrade81

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It simply doesn't make sense to compare cities in completely different tiers. Like Victoria vs. Vancouver are really incomparable as 2 totally different beasts (apples to oranges comparison). Of course "where I'd like to live" is totally subjective. I'm certain some NHLers do enjoy Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary as such.

Note: Since late-70's the AB cities did clearly become the new HQ for the Prairies. Winnipeg was the old HQ like late 1800s to WWI.
The Europe map from the same source will probably interest you as well. Its interesting that Montreal was the largest Canadian population for a long time. Toronto didn't pass it until the 70's when separatist ambitions made a lot of people nervouse about settling in Quebec in general, or Montreal. This really impacted both cities and the province which lost migration impetus and keeping people in the province. One can really see how much this impacted Quebec City which was once one of the large Canadian cities but no longer is.

You Nailed Winnipeg. Formerly considered the Central part of Canada and kind of a hub of transport, commodities from earliest times on going back to Fort Garry. Yes Winnipeg was very much the Western Canadian head office. Something the feds try to maintain to present day what with CRA and other national bodies centered there.

Calgary became the HQ of the prairies after Edmonton. Its interesting how much more populated Edmonton was than Calgary earlier on and not until around 98 that Calgary passed Edmonton. One can basically point to things like Mayors to see how that and other factors impacted CAlgary vs Edmonton expansion in the 90's when Edmonton really stagnated.

Vancouver could have gone in either direction. In the early 70's Vancouver wasn't so nice. But massive investments grew the prominence. The build up to Expo 86 really helped. Vancouver DT used to have a relatively low population. But the City at some point put on a vibrancy and expansion upward and outward that helped make the whole lower mainland a property mecca. All of which appealed to foreign investment which was critical to the regions growth.

Halifax hasn't grown much even though Dartmouth is part of its Metro calculation. They fell off the map of most populated metropolitan areas.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Saskatoon is my hometown too. Very proud to be from Toon Town and to grow up there. I still think it's an awesome smaller city though we joke that January is the longest four months of the year in Saskatoon.

Quite surprised to read such a negative opinion from someone with similar Sasky roots. Different strokes I guess...
Saskatoon reminds me of what Strathcona here used to be like. University town, eclectic neighborhoods, some nice nice older housing etc. I think its a nice city and like getting out there once in awhile.

First time I went to Saskatoon I was surprised that you have a better CP hotel there, The Bessborough, than Edmonton or Calgary has. Its really nice and it was earmarked from a time where Saskatoon was the major city and Edmonton and Calgary were not. Not many people know that Saskatoon at one time was the biggest city west of Winnipeg. Its still evident though in the charm of some of its neighborhoods. I like Nutana, Broadway, etc. Saskatoon is a nice walking/cycling city and all those bridges make it easy for pedestrians to get around. We've cycled all over the region both sides of the river, so much to see and do. Unlike the Mac in Edmonton the Bessborough also has reasonably priced dinners. We make a point of stopping in there each time. Beautiful old Churches as well on Spadina.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Geez I didn't realize how many points McDavid had until I saw the leaders for us against Seattle. Almost 3x the points of Burakovsky
This is only their 2nd year. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of superstars on an expansion team just yet.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have to laugh at the trashing of Winnipeg by us Oiler residents and fans. It's the same as the trashing we get from the GTA elites, Like the middle brother beating up on the little brother, after he got beat up by the big brother.:D Winnipeg residents probably trash North Battleford, and on it goes.

Reactions: SaltNPeca

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon

I mean it in the nicest way possible. I don’t think I’ll ever leave to be honest. I bought a house here recently.

I think many cities are beautiful, but I would never want to live in those places. They don’t feel like home!

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have to laugh at the trashing of Winnipeg by us Oiler residents and fans. It's the same as the trashing we get from the GTA elites, Like the middle brother beating up on the little brother, after he got beat up by the big brother.:D Winnipeg residents probably trash North Battleford, and on it goes.

No one would have said shit if their insecure fanbase didn’t come in here to gloat. Trashing their dying city is well-deserved after that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No one would have said shit if their insecure fanbase didn’t come in here to gloat. Trashing their dying city is well-deserved after that.
I thought they came in gloating about their team, not the city. And you're always going to get a few idiots from every team coming into our board when their team beats us. I don't like it, but it happens.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
North Battleford deserves any trashing it gets. 😁😁😁

Spent lots of time there coaching against them in Midget AAA and Jr A.

Lotsa good hockey teams. Never enjoyed the City at all.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Saskatoon reminds me of what Strathcona here used to be like. University town, eclectic neighborhoods, some nice nice older housing etc. I think its a nice city and like getting out there once in awhile.

First time I went to Saskatoon I was surprised that you have a better CP hotel there, The Bessborough, than Edmonton or Calgary has. It’s really nice and it was earmarked from a time where Saskatoon was the major city and Edmonton and Calgary were not. Not many people know that Saskatoon at one time was the biggest city west of Winnipeg. It’s still evident though in the charm of some of its neighborhoods. I like Nutana, Broadway, etc. Saskatoon is a nice walking/cycling city and all those bridges make it easy for pedestrians to get around. We've cycled all over the region both sides of the river, so much to see and do. Unlike the Mac in Edmonton the Bessborough also has reasonably priced dinners. We make a point of stopping in there each time. Beautiful old Churches as well on Spadina.
I lived there in my younger years (early 20s) for 5 years. It’s still a beautiful city and like Winnipeg and Edmonton and Vancouver and Phoenix and NYC and, and,and it has its areas to stay out of. The Meewasin river valley has done a great job of building a super trail system. I go 6-8 times a year, spent a weekend there this spring walking Broadway, drinking coffee, listening to buskers. It was awesome. 2 years ago I was walking Broadway and I bumped into Spider Sinnaeve. He was grabbing coffees for him and his wife.

Paris of the Prairies.

North Battleford deserves any trashing it gets. 😁😁😁

Spent lots of time there coaching against them in Midget AAA and Jr A.

Lotsa good hockey teams. Never enjoyed the City at all.
North Battleford gives Battleford/old town a bad name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Get Puljujarvi off this team. He's a net negative. No awareness, no ability, no talent.

Woodcroft continues to make baffling decisions with this player.
No no no. He's a useful player I'm told lol. Whoever thinks that has brain damage

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Anyone know why Klim Kostin had reduced minutes tonight?

Probably hurting a little despite being cleared. That being said, I felt he had a mostly good game and was one of the few players that didn’t make me want to vomit by the end of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad