Post-Game Talk: Pucks 2 nite

Status
Not open for further replies.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
Rangers turtled after scoring a few goals. Hence the high shots for us. Do not be fooled. We got owned.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Kolzig was spouting the company line fed to him by Oates. He later staged a mini-rebellion with Holtby against Oates' goaltending philosophy.

OK, that makes sense. Kolzig's strength was always his positioning, so it confused me as well. Oates was a great player, but he couldn't coach worth a damn. He used the team as a sandbox to test out his theories and indulge his fantasy as some kind of cerebral hockey genius. A lot of his ideas made sense and were logically consistent, and maybe they would work with a team of Oateses, but they were impractical.

His whole thing about not inspiring the team with words of wisdom in the locker room is kind of case in point. He seemed to say "they're professionals, they don't need to be told why they're here" while he holed up in his ivory tower.

As much love as I have for Hunter and Oates as players, I feel like they set us back as head coaches.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That orpik contract scaring the hell out of me tonite. Visions of an aging, very well compensated 44 may trouble my sleep, i fear

Not ready to panic yet. A guy his age with limited training and no preseason... 20 games in if he's not improved noticeably, I'll start to worry.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
A lot of work ahead

+ Schmidt
+ Stephenson
+ Backstrom's line was the best in my opinion

- well, the list will be too long

EDIT: Williams with more points than Oshie. And with 3 minutes less to play per game. So far.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Rangers turtled after scoring a few goals. Hence the high shots for us. Do not be fooled. We got owned.

No one turtles for a three minute shift with a single line in the second period with only a 2 goal lead. There was good and bad in this game, most of the bad being Holtby. Most of the good being Hank. Maybe some turtling in the third.

Some brain farts by the skaters and D, but it basically came down to who let pucks in and who didn't. I thought the boys looked fantastic when they were actually in the Rangers' zone. Bad play in their own zone coupled with Holtby having an off night doomed them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the rangers scored 4 goals on 10 shots or less. when I looked it that's where it stood and the shot total could have been fewer on the 4th goal against. I didn't see owned. I saw a couple of breakdowns and Holtby having a game he would like back.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Looking at War-on-Ice Corsi for both teams looked about even until the 4th Rangers goal, Rangers were leading in scoring chances until about 15 minutes into the 2nd period.

I felt the game was fairly close tonight but defensive breakdowns and goaltenders playing on opposite ends of the spectrum didn't help.

Anyways 8-3 isn't bad. And so long as the caps don't play like this next time they meet the Rangers it isn't that big of a deal.

Also Oshie and Kuz need to pull the trigger more.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Holtby was not good but there were far too many two on ones and breakaways against the Caps tonight and it wasn't just after the Caps got down by 2.

Seems to me Trotz is the guy who laid an egg tonight.

And as great as Orpik played last year, he looks quite a bit worse this year. Dude needs to get it together.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Took our beating w/o protest or truculence. God forbid anyboady board the plane with a bruise

Being a poor sport isn't a good quality to have, don't get why people would want this. I'd prefer they play good hockey, acting like babies won't help that cause.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The ****ing Rags are not going anywhere in the playoffs this year. I'm not sure we can go all the way either, but seriously **** these clowns.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I was at the game, we possessed the puck from the first till the middle of the third period, at the end of the 3rd we kind of gave up on the game. Though all our shots were on perimeter, we were dangerous at the end of the 2nd and the beginning of the 3rd and that's all. Rangers are a really good team, I learned today :(. The defended really good, kept us on perimeter, blocking all shots and Henrik was unreal.

I was with a friend on the game, she doesn't know anything about hockey and even she was wondering why we didn't shoot, lots of passes and nothing dangerous (mod...sexist). Every time we were in their zone, it seemed there was a wall of their players in front of their goal. While our goal seemed unprotected, always open shooting lanes for them. Forecheck was bad too, they just kept us outside. When we shooted, somebody always blocked the shot, while when they shooted and we tried to block, it was either too late or too early. We were bad defensively, soft and slower. They were just faster on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Reminded me of WSH-MTL series, although Lundqvist didn't have to make as many saves because Caps missed the net on most of their grade A -chances.

Either way, Caps propably doubled them in shot attempts, spent about 90% of the game in Rangers zone and yet managed to lose 5-2. Fast, smart decisions by Rangers made our D look absolutely garbage, and Holtby was terrible on goal.

I wish i could find something positive to say, but there just isn't anything. Johansson and Ovechkin scored, which is a wash since they both were directly responsible for goal against aswell.

Looks like Brooks will replace the another Brooks as the garbage contract of this team in the future.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Caps were better, but Rangers won. We can even say Caps offered the W to Rangers.

We have to be more effecient in front of the net, we had a lot of chances.

90-19-14, fantastic game.
88 and 74 too.

And I don't like to talk about the officials, but they made a few mistakes at the key moment. Ovi-Staal episode (1-0 for Rangers) with a pp could be 1-0 for us, and then who knows how it can goes with 2-0 or even 1-0 for Caps.
No hook on Orlov early in the 3rd? wow
Even the Orpik penalty was not very clear, and then they score.

But we're @ MSG... MSG and officials, a long story.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I see the oprik comments. I saw two 2 on 1's where the Rangers scored. In both cases I saw Carlson chasing the play. I didn't watch close enough to know why he was caught up ice, but are way saying Orpik was to blame for those goals against?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I thought Carlson was awful, he was getting caught out of position all night.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I see the oprik comments. I saw two 2 on 1's where the Rangers scored. In both cases I saw Carlson chasing the play. I didn't watch close enough to know why he was caught up ice, but are way saying Orpik was to blame for those goals against?

Carlson just felt like playing forward for the majority of the game and thought that the forwards would cover for him. That wasn't the case.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
i'm very confident that the sloppy defense we see now from the Caps will not be the same defense by seasons end.

Holtby still doesn't seem Vezina quality to me yet either as he did for most of last season.

These things will come, a good ass whooping is good for your team here and there. We've got work to do, and with that, in Trotz I trust.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
i'm very confident that the sloppy defense we see now from the Caps will not be the same defense by seasons end.

Holtby still doesn't seem Vezina quality to me yet either as he did for most of last season.

These things will come, a good ass whooping is good for your team here and there. We've got work to do, and with that, in Trotz I trust.

It's not like we lost to a bad team. It happens, we still have a pretty good record at 8-3-0. We just need a win in our next game to be back at the top of the Metro division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad