"Puck Luck"

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
well it happens too frequently to the Pens, and rarely in the opposite direction where we’re the ones who undeservedly win a game, that it can’t be “puck luck”…puck luck suggests a random occurrence…this is not random.,.this is a team trying to score goals in a way that’s not conducive to scoring for their personnel
Puck luck is mentioned way too much I noticed being a Penguin spectator.
How many post did we hit last night? And we scored a goal that got turned back... Last night was a game the Pens should have won but again we felt short. Luck is certainly not on our side for some games this year but net front presence and a good PP gets you in the playoffs these days which we don't have right now.
Post do not matter. Every missed shot could hit the post it makes it no different than missing the net by two inches or four inches. That is why posts aren't even considered shots on goal, because they aren't.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We all thought EK65, the best offensive blueliner of his generation was that player. Nothing is going to change while Reirden is here.

Count me out of that we. I saw a fair number of guys who watch Karlsson a lot saying he was not especially amazing on the PP and while I had hope that sheer quality would tell, that was very cautious optimism. He helps them gain the zone, but doesn't do anything to stop the overpassing/freedom for opposition defences to collapse/lack of net presence.

Also, yes, Reirden's control of the PP should be in jeopardy.

Reactions: vodeni

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't understand their refusal to replace Jake on the top PP with a bigger body, and tell them their only job is to screen the goalie. Doesn't matter who it is, doesn't matter if they never touch the puck, just take away the goalie's sight lines as best you can and let guys like Karlsson and Geno fire away from range.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We mostly attack from the side of the net. Other teams attack from the middle, because they have dynamic players who can cut in and beat a guy. They are not the same level of scoring chance regardless of what you've been led to believe from advanced analytics. The shots from the side of the net sre very low percentage. I never understood why they were ever lumped in with shots from the middle of the ice.
if Pens don't have someone on their coaching staff that understand what @canadianguy77 just told them than they should hire him to tell them what the issue is with the f***ing puck luck...you nailed it, that is the problem with our attack...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just don't understand their refusal to replace Jake on the top PP with a bigger body, and tell them their only job is to screen the goalie. Doesn't matter who it is, doesn't matter if they never touch the puck, just take away the goalie's sight lines as best you can and let guys like Karlsson and Geno fire away from range.
You don't? That's this coaching staff's hallmark at this point. Stubborn refusal to change what isn't working all because they have their favorites and won't deviate.

The phrase "I just don't understand their refusal" can be used to start off pretty much every decision this coaching staff makes.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
We have a guy name Big Z lol. But no changes will be done because of the clown of a coach we have. Sullivan probably thinks that hey Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer and better at scoring than Big Z so we have to put Guentzel on the PP... Seriously, the guy wouldn't find gold in a jewelry store. Big Z could fit this role perfectly if they would give it a try but i lost hope on this coaching staff.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We have a guy name Big Z lol. But no changes will be done because of the clown of a coach we have. Sullivan probably thinks that hey Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer and better at scoring than Big Z so we have to put Guentzel on the PP... Seriously, the guy wouldn't find gold in a jewelry store. Big Z could fit this role perfectly if they would give it a try but i lost hope on this coaching staff.
Yeah, I mean, f*** it. Zohorna's fine. It could be literally anybody with any semblance of size. Just plonk 'em right at the top of the crease. Don't care about their skill or shot or whatever, just exist. :laugh:
You don't? That's this coaching staff's hallmark at this point. Stubborn refusal to change what isn't working all because they have their favorites and won't deviate.

The phrase "I just don't understand their refusal" can be used to start off pretty much every decision this coaching staff makes.
FWIW, me saying "I don't understand the coaching staff's refusal" does not mean it's not a completely predictable decision. :laugh:

Reactions: Beau Knows

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Count me out of that we. I saw a fair number of guys who watch Karlsson a lot saying he was not especially amazing on the PP and while I had hope that sheer quality would tell, that was very cautious optimism. He helps them gain the zone, but doesn't do anything to stop the overpassing/freedom for opposition defences to collapse/lack of net presence.

Also, yes, Reirden's control of the PP should be in jeopardy.
I was hopeful that helping them gain the zone would be enough to turn this into a threatening powerplay, but it has turned out to be a vain hope.

So many times last year we struggled with entries and EK has at least largely fixed that, but in-zone the PP is perhaps an even bigger mess than it was last year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was hopeful that helping them gain the zone would be enough to turn this into a threatening powerplay, but it has turned out to be a vain hope.

So many times last year we struggled with entries and EK has at least largely fixed that, but in-zone the PP is perhaps an even bigger mess than it was last year.

Yup.

If we are lucky, further chemistry between Karlsson and the others will improve things.

But likelihood is they need to change system, or grab a high end shooter/net front guy, or both.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yup.

If we are lucky, further chemistry between Karlsson and the others will improve things.

But likelihood is they need to change system, or grab a high end shooter/net front guy, or both.
High end shooters grow on trees…I’ll order one from Amazon today lol

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The "Deserve to Win O'Meter" is a website that simulates each game 1,000 times based on shots, chances, etc.

According to this data, the Pens expected record this season is 14-4-0, and their record in actuality is 9-9-0.

Of games the Pens "deserved" to win, they have won only 6 of 14. Last season, their expected record was 46-36; their actual record was 40-42.

I don't know what to do with this this formation, but that's it.
The Pens need a new Hornqvist for their PP. that will probably add 10% to the conversation rate.

Reactions: BobCole

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
aTuHqXG.png

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Just an update here.

The Pens expected record this year is 26W-13L and their actual record is 19W-19L.

They have lost 12 times when they "deserved" to win, and won only 5 times when they "deserved" to lose.

Here's a snapshot of our last 9 games for reference.

OpponentDateExpected Win %Outcome
Minnesota12/18/202380%W
Carolina12/21/202365%W
Ottawa12/23/202367%L
NYI12/27/202386%W
St Louis12/30/202360%W
NYI12/31/202358%W
Washington1/2/202487%L
Boston1/4/202473%W
Buffalo1/6/202479%L

Even though I'm sour on the trajectory of the team, I think there's unarguably merit to the point that they're playing well enough, just not getting results.

Yes, too often they look flat for a period or two, but that's not uncommon, especially for teams this long in the tooth.

Do I still think they lack preparedness and that overhauling coaching staff could be the solution? Yes. But I still think the data are useful.

Reactions: Andy99

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
'
Which is pretty much where the downfall lies.

This team's 5v5 scoring is fine. It's 6th, and within a couple of goals of expected. Yeah it'd be nice to add a little more goalscoring, but right now this team at 5v5 is a high scoring team that you'd expect to continue scoring high.

It has scored nearly 50% of expected on the power play.

If this team can make one trade, it should be acquiring the player that they think can fix the unit, and tbh they should consider hiring someone other than Reirden to run it.

The problem is that whether it's because of coaching or not, Sid and Geno are the major issues on the powerplay. They're the ones standing around at the boards throwing dumb passes and refusing to skate with the puck. PP2 has 1/10th the talent but looks more likely to score once they get established.

The only thing fixing our PP is coaching. No trade is going to do more than picking up Karlsson, which hasn't fixed it either.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The problem is that whether it's because of coaching or not, Sid and Geno are the major issues on the powerplay. They're the ones standing around at the boards throwing dumb passes and refusing to skate with the puck. PP2 has 1/10th the talent but looks more likely to score once they get established.

The only thing fixing our PP is coaching. No trade is going to do more than picking up Karlsson, which hasn't fixed it either.
Couldn't agree more. Love Sid & Geno, but their flatfootedness on the PP is infuriating.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Just an update here.

The Pens expected record this year is 26W-13L and their actual record is 19W-19L.

They have lost 12 times when they "deserved" to win, and won only 5 times when they "deserved" to lose.

Here's a snapshot of our last 9 games for reference.

OpponentDateExpected Win %Outcome
Minnesota12/18/202380%W
Carolina12/21/202365%W
Ottawa12/23/202367%L
NYI12/27/202386%W
St Louis12/30/202360%W
NYI12/31/202358%W
Washington1/2/202487%L
Boston1/4/202473%W
Buffalo1/6/202479%L

Even though I'm sour on the trajectory of the team, I think there's unarguably merit to the point that they're playing well enough, just not getting results.

Yes, too often they look flat for a period or two, but that's not uncommon, especially for teams this long in the tooth.

Do I still think they lack preparedness and that overhauling coaching staff could be the solution? Yes. But I still think the data are useful.

Everyone wants to jerk it to "Expected goals" and other nonsense, but this is the 2nd consecutive year this has arisen. At what point does this system and style be put on the coach?

Reactions: akapidots

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
They've lost the xG race for years now. They just don't finish nearly the amount of chances that they generate.

IMO, it's due to their seeming allergy to scoring dirty goals and always choosing the cutest play possible.

Reactions: wgknestrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad